The Last Coaching Search

Butch is a no brainer to me, but at 62 is he a long term answer? Do we want to do this search again in 4-5 years? I think he'd have to bring a coach in waiting with him, or something like that.

Advertisement
No top level coaches were interested. Anyone worth a **** only feigned interest to gain leverage with their existing employers. Sumlin had no interest. Mullen had no interest. I guarantee you if we were lucky enough to have another search this year, Mario is probably the best you can hope for.

I think that's a load of horsesh1t. The top coaches that don't want to be here only do it because of money. Because, everyone knows you can stockpile talent here and win like nobody else.

LULZ at UM carrying a grudge against Davis and not hiring him because of that. Did he sue the school like Kehoe? ****, we even hired back that scumbag traitor Cristobal, and he stabbed us in the back again. Now, dudes are claiming the two-time Judas is still in UM's good graces.

Solid. All this bad blood talk seems like message board melodrama.

Butch. It's strictly business.

Let me state for the record that I would love to have Butch back. That's just my personal stance.

Butch is not considered off the list. He does face an uphill battle. Should Golden get fired, the money will be very scarce to hire a top level replacement. No NFL coordinator or high ranking college coach will be affordable. The other options would be an impressing coach at a lower classification or a talented coordinator at successful school.

Guys like a Narduzzi and Chad Morris are in a situation akin to Bud Foster where you can wait to either succeed your mentor or hold on one more year, get a huge paycheck, and leave when the highest paying school, which we are not and are less likely to be if Golden gets fired. This leaves an extremely unique situation with Butch.

Butch has a lot going for him and some brutal things against him. He'd be the fans choice, he's a winner, he has a positive history here, his teams didn't get into trouble, he had record breaking graduation and academic rates, attendance was improving under him, the city would embrace him, and he would come for next to nothing which might be his biggest selling point. His salary and the cleanliness of his teams will be adored by the admin. The two things working against him are the way he left the school in 2001 and the NCAA issues at UNC.

First off, President Shalala has no personal ax to grind with Butch. She wasn't even President yet when he left and Coker was hired. The people that do have an ax to grind with him are the Board of Trustee members depending on how many of them are still here from 2001. The NCAA issues will be his biggest Achilles Heel and this is where she will be concerned. His name wasn't even mentioned in the findings, but the stigma is still there and it would take some enormous guts on the admin's part to hire him when facing probation. The media reaction would be vicious. He's only been touchable for two years and at 62, a major team wont come after him unless it's Miami and I don't know how interested the lower teams have been.

The admin has missed on two, going on three, of its last coaching hires. Another miss and they will lose the fan base. The recruits wont remember a dominant Miami. This is the hire they need to hit on and money prevents them from getting an expensive stud. Butch being a cheap stud that has a lot going for him on all sides might find a way to get the job by default. This is a watershed moment in the program should Golden get fired. I don't know how the big donors feel about Butch. Their support would only help. Hopefully one of the mods can shed some light on the attitude towards Butch right now with major players who donate and higher ranking decision makers.
This is a solid post. I still don't think Donna has the intestinal fortitude to go near Butch. Edit: in light of today's breaking news about Donna, I retract my earlier comments about Butch never coming back. It actually could happen now.

Last edited:
Let me state for the record that I would love to have Butch back. That's just my personal stance.

Butch is not considered off the list. He does face an uphill battle. Should Golden get fired, the money will be very scarce to hire a top level replacement. No NFL coordinator or high ranking college coach will be affordable. The other options would be an impressing coach at a lower classification or a talented coordinator at successful school.

Guys like a Narduzzi and Chad Morris are in a situation akin to Bud Foster where you can wait to either succeed your mentor or hold on one more year, get a huge paycheck, and leave when the highest paying school, which we are not and are less likely to be if Golden gets fired. This leaves an extremely unique situation with Butch.

Butch has a lot going for him and some brutal things against him. He'd be the fans choice, he's a winner, he has a positive history here, his teams didn't get into trouble, he had record breaking graduation and academic rates, attendance was improving under him, the city would embrace him, and he would come for next to nothing which might be his biggest selling point. His salary and the cleanliness of his teams will be adored by the admin. The two things working against him are the way he left the school in 2001 and the NCAA issues at UNC.

First off, President Shalala has no personal ax to grind with Butch. She wasn't even President yet when he left and Coker was hired. The people that do have an ax to grind with him are the Board of Trustee members depending on how many of them are still here from 2001. The NCAA issues will be his biggest Achilles Heel and this is where she will be concerned. His name wasn't even mentioned in the findings, but the stigma is still there and it would take some enormous guts on the admin's part to hire him when facing probation. The media reaction would be vicious. He's only been touchable for two years and at 62, a major team wont come after him unless it's Miami and I don't know how interested the lower teams have been.

The admin has missed on two, going on three, of its last coaching hires. Another miss and they will lose the fan base. The recruits wont remember a dominant Miami. This is the hire they need to hit on and money prevents them from getting an expensive stud. Butch being a cheap stud that has a lot going for him on all sides might find a way to get the job by default. This is a watershed moment in the program should Golden get fired. I don't know how the big donors feel about Butch. Their support would only help. Hopefully one of the mods can shed some light on the attitude towards Butch right now with major players who donate and higher ranking decision makers.

i agree with everything here and historically the money hasn't been there and on first blush it's normal to assume that with the buyout there won't be money. That said I think there is more big money around and more frustration then ever after such a drought and I am pretty convinced from conversations I have had that it's possible, not guaranteed but possible, that if needed this time we could have our cake and eat it too. Not 5 million a year cake, but not 1.5 mil a year cake either despite outward appearances.

The real issue will be how much more money beyond that will be around to pay assistants. Remember last hire done in down economy and before new ACC deal. The rich donors at least are even richer in this economy, and it just takes a few to help bail out this mistake.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Money line is used too much. For example. RichRod gets $1.5M at Zona.
We can hire a great coach. Money is needed on next big thing coaches like Franklin getting waaaaay too much at PSu
Our last search included a coach the bears took gladly. We just have dumbasses making decisions.

Total comp? Noooooo, not true. Well north of that.

One of the other challenges is that Al has a contract that runs until 2019.... paying a coach that is no longer on the team, impacts how much you pay the new coach

Advertisement
Back