The Last Coaching Search

Does anyone know/remember which coaches were actually being considered for our HC job that ultimately went to Golden? I know that Edsall and Trestman were finalists but I also remember Sumlin and Mullen's name being tossed around. And of course there was the now infamous "Gruden to Miami" saga. Were any of those other guys ever legitimately in the mix or were they just internet rumors?

I'm asking because I'm trying to get a sense of who this administration might target when Golden is inevitably fired. And before anyone even brings his name up, sorry, but Butch is not coming back.

Advertisement
Well with their last 3 hires being complete whiffs its fair to say: Brady Hoke, Lane Kiffin and Charlie Weis would be the front runners. Check with Lake Lewis as their are strong rumors swirling that Jon Gruden is considering throwing his name into the mix.

No top level coaches were interested. Anyone worth a **** only feigned interest to gain leverage with their existing employers. Sumlin had no interest. Mullen had no interest. I guarantee you if we were lucky enough to have another search this year, Mario is probably the best you can hope for.

No top level coaches were interested. Anyone worth a **** only feigned interest to gain leverage with their existing employers. Sumlin had no interest. Mullen had no interest. I guarantee you if we were lucky enough to have another search this year, Mario is probably the best you can hope for.
That's what concerns me. The program is on a downward spiral. We can't afford Randy Shannon 3.0, or Larry Coker 4.0, but that's what we might end up with.

Any search must include Charlie Weis. Big job, big seat to fill - Charlie's the man.

Advertisement
Considering we have to pay Golden I think we go after a coordinator.

We have plenty of money to pay the right guy even with the buyout. The right people would coalesce to make that happen.

also, yes downward spiral but not talent wise. Better facilities and better players would attract more candidates. Not same situation. Believe what you want but if the trigger is pulled more options than you think. That doesn't mean they won't go with a hot coordinator. But not a done deal to go low rent.

We have plenty of money to pay the right guy even with the buyout. The right people would coalesce to make that happen.

also, yes downward spiral but not talent wise. Better facilities and better players would attract more candidates. Not same situation. Believe what you want but if the trigger is pulled more options than you think. That doesn't mean they won't go with a hot coordinator. But not a done deal to go low rent.

So why haven't they dug deep and paid the right guy the last 10 yrs. I believe it when I see it.

Advertisement
Does anyone know/remember which coaches were actually being considered for our HC job that ultimately went to Golden? I know that Edsall and Trestman were finalists but I also remember Sumlin and Mullen's name being tossed around. And of course there was the now infamous "Gruden to Miami" saga. Were any of those other guys ever legitimately in the mix or were they just internet rumors?

I'm asking because I'm trying to get a sense of who this administration might target when Golden is inevitably fired. And before anyone even brings his name up, sorry, but Butch is not coming back.

There were two lists - the official list and the fans list.

The two are never alike.

And I'll go right ahead. I'm like Louisville fans - they knew they could get Petrino back, and we can get Butch back.

Choke on it.

Advertisement
if you have ever heard of the guy's name in positive light, cross him off the admin's list

So why haven't they dug deep and paid the right guy the last 10 yrs. I believe it when I see it.

randy was was a loyalty mistake.

golden was a relatively hot candidate at a time when the program talent and facilities wise we were down. Different situation different times.

big difference between poor decisions and ability to change it going forward when we get to the inevitable.

Believe what you want.

Advertisement
Gruden and Pelini had conversations. They had a good search. At the time it was a good hire. Not working as well as anyone would like. If Golden had gone to PSU, Chud had a lot fans. Wonder if Pagano would let him comsult for us. Golden needs to get offensive help. Coley is in over his head.

In the late 70's and early 80's Miami was floundering just the same. The school ponied up for a proven coach who was expensive. Schnellenberger was his name. We went on a tear that no other team has matched. It is very possible for Miami to become a powerhouse, but they need to not be cheap and hire a big gun proven coach who has a competent and talented staff he can bring with him.

When Paul Dee was the AD, we actually had a shot at several high name guys, but he passed, most likely because of economics. Golden was really hired by certain members of the BOT. As far as I know, they have his back, so he is not going anywhere. Where its going to get interesting is if they tell him to get new coordinators.

Advertisement
Back