The Hurricanes’ first report card is out: Gerald Willis, Jeff Thomas receive outstanding grades

Shaq is playing very well. Internally, the staff is extremely happy with his play.

This board seems out of step with the staff and national media when it comes to Shaq.

The staff is seemingly very happy with Hayden Mahoney too. I guess the board is out of step with the staff on that one too.

Advertisement
The staff is seemingly very happy with Hayden Mahoney too. I guess the board is out of step with the staff on that one too.

There is a vast gulf between our LB play and G play. Publicly, they prop up Mahoney. I don't know what they think about him off the record. I know when they took Boulware's commitment (back in January) somebody told me the goal was to keep Mahoney-types off the field. This was before Donaldson moved to RT. Unfortunately, we don't have many great options.

To me, Shaq is the latest in a long line of good players (dating back to Greg Olsen) who take dumb heat from our fans for being recognizable names on disappointing teams.

Shaq is playing very well. Internally, the staff is extremely happy with his play.

This board seems out of step with the staff and national media when it comes to Shaq.

Shaq is a solid player, but when he gets the pr he has gotten, and called alpha and the likes then he has high standards to reach as a lb at UM. Again he is solid, if he got pub as a #3 or #2 type it would be more in line. But he gets national media attention as #1 type and he hasnt played to that level yet. When people were talking about the LSU lb and you watch the games, that kid flashes and you feel him. Shaq seems like a step behind so far.

Alot of season left, so he can do his thing but it is what it is. Nothing wrong calling it how you see it.

Shaq has played well imo. He's the new Chad Thomas in that he's a guy fans will give heat but because he does a lot of the thankless grunt work that casuals don't really understand the impact he has on the team & won't notice it until he's gone.

The only problem is most of this is premature, we haven't actually played anybody yet & the one time we did we looked slightly better than we did vs Clemson. Which was really really bad.

Everything will look good statistically when you play Savannah St & Toledo, teams that don't have 1/1,000th the amount of talent we do.

What matters is how we look vs FSU, VA, BC, Duke & VA Tech.

Advertisement
Shaq is a solid player, but when he gets the pr he has gotten, and called alpha and the likes then he has high standards to reach as a lb at UM. Again he is solid, if he got pub as a #3 or #2 type it would be more in line. But he gets national media attention as #1 type and he hasnt played to that level yet. When people were talking about the LSU lb and you watch the games, that kid flashes and you feel him. Shaq seems like a step behind so far.

Alot of season left, so he can do his thing but it is what it is. Nothing wrong calling it how you see it.

Devin White, Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds are a different level because of their speed. I agree with that.

But he is still a really good college LB, national championship caliber.

Perhaps they view his play as relative. Compared to Knowles, Shaq is the least of their worries type thing. Just a thought. I haven't noticed him as being a liability but he hasn't taken over any games either. Solid, not great.

Devin White, Roquan Smith and Tremaine Edmunds are a different level because of their speed. I agree with that.

But he is still a really good college LB, national championship caliber.

I could see him being the #3 with DJ and Vilma or #2 even on some of our other squads. The problem is we dont have that guy who is supposed to be next level. Like where are our stud LB on the roster? The talent on D needs to step up. We have a lot of good guys, but where is ELITE guys at? On offense you are seeing them flash, but defense?

There is a vast gulf between our LB play and G play. Publicly, they prop up Mahoney. I don't know what they think about him off the record. I know when they took Boulware's commitment (back in January) somebody told me the goal was to keep Mahoney-types off the field. This was before Donaldson moved to RT. Unfortunately, we don't have many great options.

To me, Shaq is the latest in a long line of good players (dating back to Greg Olsen) who take dumb heat from our fans for being recognizable names on disappointing teams.

Great point. Jon Beason is on that list too. Fans thought he was bat **** crazy for leaving early and was a good player for us but not first round worthy.

Advertisement

Shaq is ok. None of the junior LBs have lived up to expectations. McCloud is mediocre at best. Shaq and Pinckney are serviceable P5 LBs.

Because the board seem to think Shaq should make all the plays. Shaq runs the right gaps and take on the right blocks. Alot of times Pinckney guesses wrong and leave gaps. Our defense is predicated on making plays instead of just being solid and fundamental every play. The next issue we have is Diaz no calling defenses that account for the QB running.

Dude gets caught up in the wash all day long in the run game.

Don't even start on the pass game. He's always doing pirouettes.

I think it's corching because he has all the physical tools and obviously he's not a headcase.

Lsu lb didnt flash much when we played them...Im just saying. Alot of this stuff is hype

Advertisement
On the defense, we're averaging about 2/3 lower turnover ratio through three games (1.0 to .33). Some of this is a reversion to the mean, but a pickup here will mean a better performance.

Shaq is having his best year so far, sure tackler, making plays in the backfield and running defense overall... this board makes it obvious that the majority don’t know what they’re talking about.

Advertisement
Shaq is a very solid player - not spectacular because he’s not quick and fast. But the kid is very sound.

I don’t think Diaz’ schemes play to his strengths especially when he leaves a wide gulf in the middle of the defense for QBs to exploit.

The travesty with Willis is that we didn’t have him last year. Him rotating with Kendrick and RJ would have made a huge difference.

Here comes the spin!!

I remember Dmoney saying Rosie had made major improvements coming into this season

Advertisement
Back