The Hurricanes’ first report card is out: Gerald Willis, Jeff Thomas receive outstanding grades

D

deleted1998

The Hurricanes' first report card is out: Gerald Willis,...

Article is behind a pay wall so I'll post a few tidbits. Ok, so more than a few. There's a lot more in the article. I'm a big fan of the Atlantc, I think it's worth every penny.

Still, Richt said Sunday he would like to see the bulk of the carries split between his top two backs. “Your top two backs, you want anywhere from 12 to 20 [touches] a game [for each] depending how the game goes,” Richt said. “[Saturday’s game at Toledo] was a game where we wanted to control the ball running the ball at times. That’s as much fun as I can have as a play caller, to dial up a run, another run, an 8-yard run, another run to get a first down on second and two. I can call those plays pretty good. I like to share the load, don’t think we’re in a day and age of a guy going 30 carries a game every game. It just doesn’t make sense."

The reintroduction of the fullback in short yardage situations has also helped Miami become a better team on the ground. Last season, the Hurricanes converted first downs on third down and 3 yards or less with the run only 9 times in 19 attempts. This season, UM is 6 of 9 when it runs the ball on 3rd down and 3 yards or less.

Sophomore Jeff Thomas has been as explosive a receiver as any in the country. He leads the nation in yards per catch (27.64) and the team in catches (11), yards (304) and targets (19).

“We challenged them, and they blocked a lot better. No sacks [were] big. We had a couple of pressures, one we ended up completing the ball, the other one we ended up not being able to get it out there far enough to hit Hightower on a deep [throw]. For the most part, they protected well. I think they’re getting better. We’re playing more guys. [Venzell] Boulware, [freshman] DJ Scaife got to play, and before it was all over pretty much they all got to play. They definitely know what they’re doing and they’re putting their hat on the right people.”

Fifth-year senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis has been a terror, leading all defensive linemen in the nation with seven tackles for loss.

According to Sports Info Solutions, Miami’s 37 quarterback pressures this season ranks tied with LSU, TCU, Missouri and Ball State for 36th nationally among Division I programs. Last season, Miami ranked third nationally in quarterback pressures with 237. Only USC (257) and Clemson (248) produced more.

Overall, the Hurricanes are doing a much better job on third down than a season ago. Last season, the Hurricanes allowed opponents to convert 39.5 percent of the time, which ranked 75th nationally. This season, UM ranks No. 1 in the country in third-down defense (7 of 43, 16.28%). Throw out Savannah State and the Canes are still elite, allowing FBS opponents to convert only five first downs on 27 third-down attempts (18.52%).

Michael Jackson, one of the top cover corners in the country, was beaten twice down the field in coverage against Toledo. He has been targeted 10 times and allowed four catches for 90 yards thus far this season, according to Sports Info Solutions.

On the other side of the field, Bandy has been targeted three times and he has allowed only one catch while intercepting another.

The Fab Five

Here’s who is in the early running for Team MVP and why:

1. Gerald Willis: The Hurricanes lead the nation in tackles for loss and are still pretty formidable on defense because it has Willis wreaking havoc up front on a regular basis.

2. Jeff Thomas: He has been the offense’s MVP hands down and could quietly enter the Heisman conversation if he keeps making explosive plays every week and the Hurricanes remain a Top 25 team.

3. Jaquan Johnson: His value as a leader in the secondary became evident the moment he went down against Toledo. If he’s out for an extended time, Miami could be in some trouble.

4. DeeJay Dallas: The sophomore has run the ball with vigor, and as long as the running game continues to be present the Hurricanes will have a shot at repeating as Coastal Division champions.

5. Shaq Quarterman: Miami’s run defense remains one of the best in the country because its middle linebacker doesn’t make many mistakes or miss many tackles.

Last season, the Hurricanes allowed opponents to convert on 3rd down and 3 yards or less 25 times in 40 rush attempts. This season? Miami hasn’t allowed an opponent to convert a 3rd and short yet in three tries.

Advertisement
Shaq has made a few really nice plays. I don't know if they've taken a step back, or if the new DL's philosophy on stopping the run has altered the scheme a bit (our DL is pretty stunt against the run - whereas in Kul's first year here the LBs cleaned everything up (and looked like studs).

Maybe this is a bit of a spin, I don't know ^

Advertisement
The Hurricanes' first report card is out: Gerald Willis,...

Article is behind a pay wall so I'll post a few tidbits. Ok, so more than a few. There's a lot more in the article. I'm a big fan of the Atlantc, I think it's worth every penny.

Still, Richt said Sunday he would like to see the bulk of the carries split between his top two backs. “Your top two backs, you want anywhere from 12 to 20 [touches] a game [for each] depending how the game goes,” Richt said. “[Saturday’s game at Toledo] was a game where we wanted to control the ball running the ball at times. That’s as much fun as I can have as a play caller, to dial up a run, another run, an 8-yard run, another run to get a first down on second and two. I can call those plays pretty good. I like to share the load, don’t think we’re in a day and age of a guy going 30 carries a game every game. It just doesn’t make sense."

The reintroduction of the fullback in short yardage situations has also helped Miami become a better team on the ground. Last season, the Hurricanes converted first downs on third down and 3 yards or less with the run only 9 times in 19 attempts. This season, UM is 6 of 9 when it runs the ball on 3rd down and 3 yards or less.

Sophomore Jeff Thomas has been as explosive a receiver as any in the country. He leads the nation in yards per catch (27.64) and the team in catches (11), yards (304) and targets (19).

“We challenged them, and they blocked a lot better. No sacks [were] big. We had a couple of pressures, one we ended up completing the ball, the other one we ended up not being able to get it out there far enough to hit Hightower on a deep [throw]. For the most part, they protected well. I think they’re getting better. We’re playing more guys. [Venzell] Boulware, [freshman] DJ Scaife got to play, and before it was all over pretty much they all got to play. They definitely know what they’re doing and they’re putting their hat on the right people.”

Fifth-year senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis has been a terror, leading all defensive linemen in the nation with seven tackles for loss.

According to Sports Info Solutions, Miami’s 37 quarterback pressures this season ranks tied with LSU, TCU, Missouri and Ball State for 36th nationally among Division I programs. Last season, Miami ranked third nationally in quarterback pressures with 237. Only USC (257) and Clemson (248) produced more.

Overall, the Hurricanes are doing a much better job on third down than a season ago. Last season, the Hurricanes allowed opponents to convert 39.5 percent of the time, which ranked 75th nationally. This season, UM ranks No. 1 in the country in third-down defense (7 of 43, 16.28%). Throw out Savannah State and the Canes are still elite, allowing FBS opponents to convert only five first downs on 27 third-down attempts (18.52%).

Michael Jackson, one of the top cover corners in the country, was beaten twice down the field in coverage against Toledo. He has been targeted 10 times and allowed four catches for 90 yards thus far this season, according to Sports Info Solutions.

On the other side of the field, Bandy has been targeted three times and he has allowed only one catch while intercepting another.

The Fab Five

Here’s who is in the early running for Team MVP and why:

1. Gerald Willis: The Hurricanes lead the nation in tackles for loss and are still pretty formidable on defense because it has Willis wreaking havoc up front on a regular basis.

2. Jeff Thomas: He has been the offense’s MVP hands down and could quietly enter the Heisman conversation if he keeps making explosive plays every week and the Hurricanes remain a Top 25 team.

3. Jaquan Johnson: His value as a leader in the secondary became evident the moment he went down against Toledo. If he’s out for an extended time, Miami could be in some trouble.

4. DeeJay Dallas: The sophomore has run the ball with vigor, and as long as the running game continues to be present the Hurricanes will have a shot at repeating as Coastal Division champions.

5. Shaq Quarterman: Miami’s run defense remains one of the best in the country because its middle linebacker doesn’t make many mistakes or miss many tackles.

Last season, the Hurricanes allowed opponents to convert on 3rd down and 3 yards or less 25 times in 40 rush attempts. This season? Miami hasn’t allowed an opponent to convert a 3rd and short yet in three tries.

The Athletic not the Atlantc, but yes it is a good read. Not sure if it can last long term though, not sure where they are going to get enough revenue.

Advertisement
Shaq is playing very well. Internally, the staff is extremely happy with his play.

This board seems out of step with the staff and national media when it comes to Shaq.
I think Shaq is being punished for what he is asked to do in Diaz's scheme which relegates him to a more reactive role when ppl want to see him be proactive and making the showstopping plays we're used to seeing from a Miami LB.

Advertisement
Hilarious that people are using two game or three game sample sizes for stats and trying to pass it off as meaningful.

Exactly. The completion of six games is more of a legitimate sample. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Both FIU and Carolina Blue are lame and what not. So what. Heck, with the exception of mighty Va. Tech, the entire Coastal is lame this season.:cool:

Shaq is playing very well. Internally, the staff is extremely happy with his play.

This board seems out of step with the staff and national media when it comes to Shaq.

shocker.

if the average fan doesnt see highlight hits or crazy high tackle numbers, they assume a linebacker is playing poorly.

Advertisement
Hilarious that people are using two game or three game sample sizes for stats and trying to pass it off as meaningful.

Isn't that same concept of saying they're not playing well based on a two or three games. Can't have it both ways, one is opinion and the other is facts. Sorry kid!

Didn't realize we were doing that well on our 3rd down defense.

That is a nice improvement.

Of course our points allowed per game seems about where it was last year - 20 a game.

We need to shave that down to become more dominant.

15 a game would do. Or better.

Yeah I really don't understand the negativity towards the LBs when it seems like everyone outside of this board seems to think he is doing well. Same with Pinckney.

I think Choc deserved a good grade also. He has found his niche as a FB on this team. Not only has he picked up needed yards on short yardage situations he has made some good blocks when not carrying the ball in those situations. Just glad he has found a helping role on this team

Advertisement
Back