The GA Tech Stadium Experience

Decided not to attend last night and grateful for having made that choice, but I was at the first couple home games and it just gets worse every year. They try so hard to make it a glitzy event with a DJ, light shows, pyrotechnics, close-ups of ugly fans in the stands between plays instead of replays, etc. I was at the Temple game and would take that experience over ours any day.

Late in the 4th Quarter, they showed a young girl on the screen that saw herself on the screen and hid her face. They let it linger - seemingly - forever. You could see her melting.

Then they went back to her embarrassed-self THREE MORE TIMES. IN THE SAME COMMERCIAL BREAK.

Poor girl.

"THE CLUB" gimmick is something that - if it were to have naturally developed as a Miami tradition - maybe it'd work. But it comes off as a manufactured in a focus group or in some marketing office by some dumb dumb that just doesn't understand much of anything to come to this conclusion. It comes off as lame.

People show up late...thats fine and all...but I'd say a good 30% of the crowd that was there was out the door before the end of the game of a one score game. When Miami needed the fans to make all sorts of noise to stop that last GT drive, literally no one is there and those that are left are in utter disbelief at what they are seeing. Was a complete melt and no one was around to help prevent it. A complete program collapse last night.

Advertisement
If you weren't at the stadium last night then you likely don't realize just how bad attending a Miami Hurricanes game has become. The stadium experience for UM games remains to be one of the worst in all of sport.

* Last night was perhaps the most subdued night game Ive ever attended. The crowd was late coming in as usual. By mid first quarter there were more people in the stadium than I saw at the Texas A & M game, yet they made way less noise.

* Games on the ACC network are the worst sporting events to attend. Every single game stoppage is met with a 3 minute timeout break. The crowd can never generate any energy. I've posted about this previously.

* EVERY - SINGLE - TV - TIMEOUT is filled with some stupid, non-football related nonsense. It's either a game on the big screen or media wannabe person saluting some random first responder or community activist or youth league team or other. It is a constant distraction from the game. I went to the TAMU game last season and there was none of this. Every TV timeout at A & M had the entire stadium talking about down & distance, what they're seeing in the game, expected play calls, players, etc.... You know, FOOTBALL TALK. That never occurs at a UM game unless you want to scream over the planned distractions.

* The DJ. If you read nothing else, read this. The DJ completely destroyed the game last night. He was out of ******* control. What's worse is that no one in stadium management seemed to know or care. He kept getting worse and worse throughout the game.

He consistently played music while the ball was in play. Many people in our section were getting ****ed and yelling for him to turn the music off. He was regularly playing music until the play clock got below 15 seconds. Twice during the game he did not turn the music off until the ball was snapped. (once during UM's offense & once during Ga Tech's offense). I kept hoping the referee would throw a flag on the DJ, simply because the UM Athletic Department is filled with drooling idiots who know nothing about sports. If it would have happened, I guarantee you the fans would have cheered that penalty against UM.

Some folks will take offense to my next point but this needs to be said:

* INSANELY DEPRESSING CANCER VIDEO. Late first quarter they played a 90 second video that was subdued, it had loud ominous, depressing theme music playing and went on and on about people having cancer, getting their lives destroyed, etc. I watched 45K+ people all fall into absolute silence. Cheering for a football game became extremely difficult for a good ten minutes. This was completely inappropriate for a sporting event. Just pathetic.

The stadium experience is so bad that I often wonder if UM is doing it on purpose. I refuse to believe people running an athletic department can be this incompetent.
MODS......please add another board forum for WHINERS & COMPLAINERS.

ITS THE SAME FOR A DOLPHINS GAME...minusall the tv timeouts.

SAME DJ.....SAME SUPPORT FIRST RESPONDERS....CANCER VIDEO....ALL OF IT....

EXCEPT DOLPHINS FANS ARE OLDER AND MORE DIE HARD SO THEY KIND OF KEEP THEMSELVES CRANKED UP THROUGHOUT THE GAME...

IVE BEEN CLAMORING ABOUT THE DJ FOR A FEW YEARS NOW SINCE I GO TO DOLPHINS GAMES TO..AT SOME POINT THEY SHOULD ASK TO HAVE THEIR OWN GUY

I find it hard to believe that the DJ at the dolphins games is playing music with 15 seconds on the play clock, much less playing it until after the ball is snapped.

Watching on TV, I thought playing Put On Jeezy, who is from Atlanta, during the opening kickoff was a terrible choice. I expect the clueless anti-football DJ thought it was a good reason to play it. Other than that, I didn't notice the music. The music and environment has sucked at any game I've attended. It feels plastic, dated, and catered to the wrong people.

I hated the 3rd down music clapping music. Do they still play that trash?

Advertisement
the DJ is awful. I’m all for home firld advantage but if I was GT I would have been ****ed - they were playing music right up until the snap.

The “games” they play are super cringe.

Your point in bold above gets overlooked by the epic stupidity of the DJ and cancer video but is worth noting.

Having people come to a live sporting event just to have the athletic department constantly asking them play games via an app on their phones is beyond logic from both a sports and societal mindset.

I find it hard to believe that the DJ at the dolphins games is playing music with 15 seconds on the play clock, much less playing it until after the ball is snapped.
No, but they do have all the other crap. Ever since the move to JRS its been made out to be more of a "stadium experience." I hated it then and hate it even more now.

I actually have nothing against the improved stadium concessions outside of the price. That's fine....it's just everything else.

Advertisement
Decided not to attend last night and grateful for having made that choice, but I was at the first couple home games and it just gets worse every year. They try so hard to make it a glitzy event with a DJ, light shows, pyrotechnics, close-ups of ugly fans in the stands between plays instead of replays. I was at the Temple game and would take that experience over ours any day. Moving to Hard Rock also birthed an annoying tailgating culture where fans are more concerned about what time the gates open than they are about being in their seat for kickoff.
For sure. These people forget why they are there. I like tailgating, but many don't realize you gotta start packing up an hour before kickoff to have any chance of being in your seat. And even then, after hours of eating and drinking...they often just want to take a nap once in the seat. Doesn't do the games any favors.

I’m sure it’s HRS but athletic department needs to step in and insist on the game day experience being totally overhauled

But do they even have this authority? They don’t own or operate the stadium. Do we know if the AD have talked to HRS management about this or not? How don’t we know they told us u’ll take this chit & u’ll like it?

Watching the game on ACC network is easily just as bad.. commercials breaks every 5 mins, and when they come back a down happed, that we never got to see.. cause these dumb asses are to busy still on commercial breaks..

This conference hates Miami.. and it gets more and more obvious every year.

No, the UM cancer center gave away little pink towels. Hundreds of which could be found left on tables in the club level, lying the ground on the exit ramps, etc.

Having the cancer center sponsor an event like this was an absolute PR failure. The opposite of what was intended. Par for the course at UM, I suppose.

FYI. October is breast cancer month nationwide and has been for quite a few years now thanks to Susan Kohman organization. Pink is always everywhere in October and pink towels are usually given away. However, it goes too far with depressing videos that don’t need to be shown at a football game. Someone needs to pay attention & say no. As for the DJ, we’ve been complaining about that for 3 or 4 years. The idiot needs to be replaced.

Advertisement
But do they even have this authority? They don’t own or operate the stadium. Do we know if the AD have talked to HRS management about this or not? How don’t we know they told us u’ll take this chit & u’ll like it?
I can’t envision us not having game day ops control. But before last night I couldn’t envision us not kneeling in a situation like that.

If you weren't at the stadium last night then you likely don't realize just how bad attending a Miami Hurricanes game has become. The stadium experience for UM games remains to be one of the worst in all of sport.

* Last night was perhaps the most subdued night game Ive ever attended. The crowd was late coming in as usual. By mid first quarter there were more people in the stadium than I saw at the Texas A & M game, yet they made way less noise.

* Games on the ACC network are the worst sporting events to attend. Every single game stoppage is met with a 3 minute timeout break. The crowd can never generate any energy. I've posted about this previously.

* EVERY - SINGLE - TV - TIMEOUT is filled with some stupid, non-football related nonsense. It's either a game on the big screen or media wannabe person saluting some random first responder or community activist or youth league team or other. It is a constant distraction from the game. I went to the TAMU game last season and there was none of this. Every TV timeout at A & M had the entire stadium talking about down & distance, what they're seeing in the game, expected play calls, players, etc.... You know, FOOTBALL TALK. That never occurs at a UM game unless you want to scream over the planned distractions.

* The DJ. If you read nothing else, read this. The DJ completely destroyed the game last night. He was out of ******* control. What's worse is that no one in stadium management seemed to know or care. He kept getting worse and worse throughout the game.

He consistently played music while the ball was in play. Many people in our section were getting ****ed and yelling for him to turn the music off. He was regularly playing music until the play clock got below 15 seconds. Twice during the game he did not turn the music off until the ball was snapped. (once during UM's offense & once during Ga Tech's offense). I kept hoping the referee would throw a flag on the DJ, simply because the UM Athletic Department is filled with drooling idiots who know nothing about sports. If it would have happened, I guarantee you the fans would have cheered that penalty against UM.

Some folks will take offense to my next point but this needs to be said:

* INSANELY DEPRESSING CANCER VIDEO. Late first quarter they played a 90 second video that was subdued, it had loud ominous, depressing theme music playing and went on and on about people having cancer, getting their lives destroyed, etc. I watched 45K+ people all fall into absolute silence. Cheering for a football game became extremely difficult for a good ten minutes. This was completely inappropriate for a sporting event. Just pathetic.

The stadium experience is so bad that I often wonder if UM is doing it on purpose. I refuse to believe people running an athletic department can be this incompetent.
Bet the DJ knew to take a knee.

Watching the game on ACC network is easily just as bad.. commercials breaks every 5 mins, and when they come back a down happed, that we never got to see.. cause these dumb asses are to busy still on commercial breaks..

This conference hates Miami.. and it gets more and more obvious every year.
This isn’t just an ACC thing. The commercial breaks are out of control. Flipping between 4-5 games yesterday plus MLB it was frustrating finding action when my primary game was in commercial.

Advertisement
Real ? b/c I keep hearing complaints about the DJ; is this DJ an employee of The U or HRS?
Did you watch any of the SC-Arizona game? I saw the last few minutes. When Caleb scored the winning two point conversion the Coliseum had the same club strobe light show. God awful.

Attendance had been an issue for as long as this school has had football. Even worse now that the stadium is where it is. If competent people ran this program they would make going to games fun and worthwhile. Instead they do nothing. They listen to all the complaints and make some themselves, take the money and give nothing in return. Atmosphere matters, especially when the team is dead. They don’t care.

Advertisement
Back