Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
Belk was a decent hire...But very unproven. Steele is clearly a better hire...Maybe if you include recruiting Belk narrows the gap, but honestly they aren't comparable on the field.

Belk had a decent G5 defense this year....I've posted it before, when they played Cincy, I didn't expect them to win by any means...But they could have offered some resisitance. With 10 mins left to go in the game before they called off dogs, Cincy was averaging 10 yards a play...Mama please make the bad man stop hitting me. Cincy O was good, but D was clearly their better unit....And their beat the brakes off that Houston defense.
Agreed

And this whole thing people are making the connection that Belk is a better recruiter because he’s younger…it does not seem that’s the case. Steele seems to be a very accomplished recruiter especially for a coordinator

A few posts versus thousands , this board has been 50-60 % trash and unreadable the last few days. Miami fans are in their own stratosphere and that’s why they have the rep.
You need to start huffing more of the CIS vapors.

3o7qE7wf80SLgw5IMo (6).gif

You didn't have to say it. It's sort of implied.

Calling it a " 25th hour" hire doesn't exactly sing praises.

It just seems like you do not like Mario and you take these little soft jabs at him.

You do just enough to throw a little salt and not have people call you a hater or attack you for it.

Ever since Mario was announced you ain't had **** positive to type my guy!!
None of that is true.

I’ve repeatedly said that Mario is a great coach & great recruiter, if I didn’t like him I would say it.

I don’t throw salt at all, I give my opinion, if you don’t like it, then I guess you have to deal with it on your own terms.

And I’m sorry I’m not a sunshine pumper or a devout worshipper, I’ve said that Mario was a good hire, I don’t know what else yall want from me, but I’m not going to say things I don’t belive in order to appease people. If i did’t like Mario or thought he was a terrible hire I wouldn’t actually say anything nor would I be around here posting at all.

Maybe you take my jokes to heart which isn’t the best thing to do, I use humor to lighten this place up because you guys are wound so tight you could snap at any second, yall take this sh*t too seriously & then get mad at people because they don’t feel exactly how yall feel about everything, that’s kinda crazy lol.

I have no issue with Steele, I have no issue with none of Mario’s hires thus far & have said so in every thread in which they were hired. I don’t know what else I need to do... If you want my to write a 25,000 word essay about how much I love Mario I’m sorry bro I’m not going to do that, at least not until he wins a Natty lol.

I think he’s a great coach, but I don’t think he’s God, if that makes me hater, then I guess so 🤷🏽‍♂️

Advertisement
Again, not talking about every criticism, but there are many that have been absolutely laughable. Such as claiming Steele is a bargain bin retread and a panic hire. If someone preferred an up an comer like Belk, which I did, that's fine. One can legitimately debate whether Mario should be looking towards future growth and potential of a coach vs. an established, accomplished guy who's reached his ceiling.

But to make laughably uninformed claims about Steele is ridiculous. He is one of the biggest, most established, successful guys out there. Two years ago he was the fan favorite and favorite of many on the BoT to get the head coaching job at Auburn...instead they hired the imminent failure, Harsin. He was also one of the highest paid coordinators in college, making $2.5 million/year. So those trashing his resume and pretending he's a scrub because they want to attack Mario is very much worthy of being called out.
I agree with this, sometimes you have to question weather they are real fans or not.

Seriously, are you THAT uninformed? He left Auburn because they hired Harsin, who is looking like a complete failure, instead of him for HC. The fans and a lot of the BoT wanted Steele for the job. University decided to do a thorough search and somehow chose Harsin instead. Harsin of course didn't retain Steele, since he's not going to keep someone that the majority of people feel is better than him.
Harsin is ******* terrible so far. Kind of surprised.

None of that is true.

I’ve repeatedly said that Mario is a great coach & great recruiter, if I didn’t like him I would say it.

I don’t throw salt at all, I give my opinion, if you don’t like it, then I guess you have to deal with it on your own terms.

And I’m sorry I’m not a sunshine pumper or a devout worshipper, I’ve said that Mario was a good hire, I don’t know what else yall want from me, but I’m not going to say things I don’t belive in order to appease people. If i did’t like Mario or thought he was a terrible hire I wouldn’t actually say anything nor would I be around here posting at all.

Maybe you take my jokes to heart which isn’t the best thing to do, I use humor to lighten this place up because you guys are wound so tight you could snap at any second, yall take this sh*t too seriously & then get mad at people because they don’t feel exactly how yall feel about everything, that’s kinda crazy lol.

I have no issue with Steele, I have no issue with none of Mario’s hires thus far & have said so in every thread in which they were hired. I don’t know what else I need to do... If you want my to write a 25,000 word essay about how much I love Mario I’m sorry bro I’m not going to do that, at least not until he wins a Natty lol.

I think he’s a great coach, but I don’t think he’s God, if that makes me hater, then I guess so 🤷🏽‍♂️
More importantly how many words if we get Stewart?

Advertisement
None of that is true.

people acting like mario is their girl and get ****ed unless you express that mario/their girl is the hottest bytch in the world.

this is football, meng. this is business, not personal.

None of that is true.

It’s how we end up w mope wars vs slurpers every four years. hes a good coach he’s proven that. He builds good staffs. My only issue from Oregon were his oc hires. Beyond that, he brought in ekite kids and won big games. He isn’t perfect and he’ll never be. It’s okay to critique as well. Mario ain’t gknna **** us lol

Advertisement
It’s crazy how territorial people are here. It’s like if you disagree with their opinion your all of sudden not a canes fan and should be banned.

Some people are insecure af.
They're also soft. They can't stand to hear an opinion that ruins their mental fantasies.

It’s how we end up w mope wars vs slurpers every four years. hes a good coach he’s proven that. He builds good staffs. My only issue from Oregon were his oc hires. Beyond that, he brought in ekite kids and won big games. He isn’t perfect and he’ll never be. It’s okay to critique as well. Mario ain’t gknna **** us lol
It’s also pretty absurd for people to have such dramatic opinions on things that haven’t actually played out yet

Heaven forbid you let the process go through before forming an opinion. And if Mario misses on some potential coaches and has to hire a plan B….so what? That’s what happens when you are in play for coaches that have options. I know we forgot what that’s like

Doesn’t mean I’m gonna make excuses for him at every turn but good grief the guy has been here for a couple of months. The entire program is going through a massive overhaul that could change the trajectory of our team for decades. Sounds crazy but I’m not really concerned about whether Steele was a last minute decision or not

/end rant it wasn’t meant at you obviously haha

Bill Young had a good resume and was close in age. RIP
This is a good comparison. I'd distinguish Steele from Young in a couple ways:

1. Young was a huge zone blitz guy. I loved his Fire Zones, but they started getting carved up as teams went to more and more Spread formations. Spacing out WRs began to create enormous gaps in some of those 3 by 3 coverage looks on the backend. [Think Manny Diaz's issues with some fire zone concepts]. Young did not necessarily adapt as the game began to rapidly change.

2. Steele is walking into a job where the landscape is similar to a few years ago (when he had success). He's had success against some of the most exaggerated space/pace teams, which is about the highest level of competition he'll face now. He also is a proven LB coach, which is one of our biggest issues.

Obviously, I don't know what the result would be, but it's a logical hire that fits our personnel and recruiting base.

Advertisement
I promise you that’s less than one percent. Majority of the posts on this board have been negative and toxic for two days. Without a game being played , not one practice yet lol. Then people wonder why this fanbase has this reputation of stupid , toxic fans. It’s well earned.
Preach

So auburn fans wanted him as head coach but all he could get is maryland d coordinator position? Lol

And im dumb.
Seems to me he got the UM job. Didn't he have ties to someone at Maryland? He took a year off, collected his cash, then sat in with a friend for a week until we hired him. Did you not watch ANY Auburn football while he was there? I remember always thinking, "Why can't we have a D like that?" He's one of the most respected DCs out there.

Do you honestly not see this as a massive upgrade over Diaz or Blake 'Ricky' Baker? Mario landed someone with a vast amount of experience, and results, at the highest level. No one we could have hired had this resume. No one. No flavor of the week, small program coach could come close to matching what this man did against top competition. You want to play with teams like Alabama, you hire coaches that have done just that.

Let me ask you this. What would any other DC do against that 2019 LSU team? How many points would Manny Diaz have given up? Baker? Belk? Any of them? Name one DC that would have done a better job defending that O. I don't know if there is one alive today that could have.

If we were simply marginally better on D last year, we win 10 games. Maybe more. I think bringing in Steele will make us more than marginally better on that side of the ball.

Very good hire. Clearly not Plan A, but who cares? Can he get the job done or not? He’s the most experienced and successful DC we’ve hired in a generation. He’s been coaching defense at the highest level for longer than half this board has been alive. He just had a very successful 5 year stint at Auburn.

Just because he’s not the first guy Mario called doesn’t mean ****. The defense should be very good. And we should be able to exploit the talent advantage we’ll have over most teams in a year or two. This is a good thing. Period.
And we don't know why Steele wasn't the first guy he called IF true. It could be that Mario didn't think he was available, interested or whatever. That has no bearing on how highly he think of him. And who gave those DC's their ranking anyway? CIS posters!

It’s also pretty absurd for people to have such dramatic opinions on things that haven’t actually played out yet

Heaven forbid you let the process go through before forming an opinion. And if Mario misses on some potential coaches and has to hire a plan B….so what? That’s what happens when you are in play for coaches that have options. I know we forgot what that’s like

Doesn’t mean I’m gonna make excuses for him at every turn but good grief the guy has been here for a couple of months. The entire program is going through a massive overhaul that could change the trajectory of our team for decades. Sounds crazy but I’m not really concerned about whether Steele was a last minute decision or not

/end rant it wasn’t meant at you obviously haha

I said idc if we missed on 15 coaches. people seem to get offended if you even claim we missed out on guy a or b. who cares if the hire is good. the only annoyance (and this is kinda entertaining bc it really doenst make a diff in our lives) is that it took so long. in the end, Steele is a good hire and even if he turns out horrible, this isn't a long term dc. hes not sticking around forever with Mario. you can easily correct course, but im w you on letting the results play out there. now for O, if we end up ponce **** that **** lmao.

Advertisement
Back