Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

He could’ve been retained. He wasn’t. And then he was out of work for a year.

When he returned, his best job offer (before Mario came begging) was Maryland.

If he was so good at Auburn, why weren’t the big programs beating down the door to hire him once he became available?
your characterization of what happened with him at Auburn is simply not correct.

boosters at Auburn ousted Malzahn in order to get Steele hired as HC, primarily because during Steele's entire tenure at Auburn the defense was miles ahead of the offense. this was reported in an AL.com story:

In his fifth year as Auburn’s defensive coordinator, Steele had culled support from those influential boosters over the years and boosted his stock in their eyes through his unit’s strong performance on the field. He “badly wanted the job,” according to a source, and would quickly accept an offer.

The plan was set: Fire Malzahn on Sunday and announce Steele as the next head coach within 48 hours.

Steele was named interim coach but ultimately the boosters that wanted him as Auburn's HC lost a power battle with the AD, who wanted to conduct a national search and ended up hiring Harsin. it's all in the AL.com story I linked to.

to say he "could have been retained" at Auburn makes no sense. there was no way that Harsin was going to retain a guy who had potentially gotten the previous coach fired and had all the biggest boosters at the school trying to get him the HC job.

he was then hired at Tennessee, but Pruitt got fired shortly after due to NCAA violations. Steele was named interim coach there, and when they hired Heupel he wasn't retained. then he sat out for a year. the timeline is all there to read about if you have any interest in doing even a basic bit of research on this.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A few misguided people on this site for sure. I'm 67 work 55 hours a week and will run circles physically and mentally through many of you. I too am not thrilled on this pick by Mario and certainly looks like he got shut out big time here. With that being said I don't think if a person is 64 they can't do a great job or is mentally challenged. Age here is not the problem but maybe competence is. After all, our President is 79 and look at the FANTASTIC JOB HE'S DOING! lol

If he was so good at Auburn, why weren’t the big programs beating down the door to hire him once he became available?

not sure if you are serious or trolling but try using google. This info below is out there and easily accessible

He wasn’t retained by Auburn because Harsin isn’t that stupid to keep the guy he barely beat out for the job on staff. Steele was the players and boosters choice, Harsin was the AD’s.

He got hired by Tennessee right after he left Auburn. Got 250k for like 6 weeks work.. Again the new HC didn’t want the guy he barely beat out to be on his staff

Advertisement
your characterization of what happened with him at Auburn is simply not correct.

boosters at Auburn ousted Malzahn in order to get Steele hired as HC, primarily because during Steele's entire tenure at Auburn the defensive was miles ahead of the offense. this was reported in an AL.com story:

In his fifth year as Auburn’s defensive coordinator, Steele had culled support from those influential boosters over the years and boosted his stock in their eyes through his unit’s strong performance on the field. He “badly wanted the job,” according to a source, and would quickly accept an offer.

The plan was set: Fire Malzahn on Sunday and announce Steele as the next head coach within 48 hours.

Steele was named interim coach but ultimately the boosters that wanted him as Auburn's HC lost a power battle with the AD, who wanted to conduct a national search and ended up hiring Harsin. it's all in the AL.com story I linked to.

to say he "could have been retained" at Auburn makes no sense. there was no way that Harsin was going to retain a guy who had potentially gotten the previous coach fired and had all the biggest boosters at the school trying to get him the HC job.

he was then hired at Tennessee, but Pruitt got fired shortly after due to NCAA violations. Steele was named interim coach there, and when they hired Heupel he wasn't retained. then he sat out for a year. the timeline is all there to read about if you have any interest in doing even a basic bit of research on this.
There are a few people on here who aren't particularly smart. I wouldn't bother lol

boosters at Auburn ousted Malzahn in order to get Steele hired as HC, primarily because during Steele's entire tenure at Auburn the defensive was miles ahead of the offense. this was reported in an AL.com story:

not sure if you are serious or trolling but try using google. This info below is out there and easily accessible

He wasn’t retained by Auburn because Harsin isn’t that stupid to keep the guy he barely beat out for the job on staff. Steele was the players and boosters choice, Harsin was the AD’s.

He got hired by Tennessee right after he left Auburn. Got 250k for like 6 weeks work.. Again the new HC didn’t want the guy he barely beat out to be on his staff

Once again, he’s been on the market for two years.

Can either of you explain why was Maryland his best job offer?

Funny that’s exactly how it went down, my Auburn buddy who’s a big booster there said they wanted him as HC, even showed a text from him saying so

People want to believe what they want to believe though

Advertisement
I don't care about age of coordiators. There's been some great ones into their late 60's or older. Also, if you get great coordinators they will not stay more than a 1-3 years anyway, so why does it matter if they are 64 or 34? (other than recruiting, but you can use position coaches for that).

I’m happy it’s finally over.

And yes Steele is a good hire, he’s old, so he’s not gonna be here for the long haul anyway.

But honestly I don’t really care about DC, the only hires that matter to me are OC & CB’s coach.
Our guys show up and show out, we’ll have guys wanting to coach here.

Advertisement
It was a 25th hour hire, he was supposed to be going to Maryland just this last Friday lol.

Mario basically threw money on the table & asked him, “Miami or College Park?” Lol

Presumptuous. We have no idea who was being vetted. That's clear. We know Mario was being deliberate, going at his own pace, quite plausible- no, probable that not everyone wanted to wait around. Steele decided to take the bird in hand, Mario monitored, didn't panic because he knew the deal wasn't signed, and when he was ready made his move, not giving a flying you know what about MD. If this was another program taking someone's hire, we'd call him a savage. And Mario and Locksley coaches together at Bama right? Whooooo boy.

So you're saying nobody else wants him? Cool!

That means he'll stick around for a while.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back