Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
Hold up… this is the dude that absolutely shut down quite possibly the greatest offense in college football history with, by all accounts, sheer football IQ and ingenuity, and our fans are b*tching?

Auburn was elite under him. Great hire in my opinion. Was super excited about Belk but I’m stoked with Steele.

LFG!!! We got a coordinator boys!! Rejoice!!

Advertisement
I see. You were making a bad point in the form of a question, as if putting a ? at the end of it made it any better.
No, I was wondering if he was the only coach Dabo had ever fired. I know Dabo did fire him, but I wasn't sure if any other coach was fired under Dabo when he was HC at Clemson, since Dabo is known for not having fired very many coaches.

This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

Fans at all the schools he was at speak poorly of him.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

He’s not a good recruiter.

The best job he could get this cycle was at Maryland.

On the surface, this would appear to be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.
Best recruits Lawrence Timmons and Marcel Dareus. Ages ago. Only positive his defenses are stout at the point of attack. Auburn Dlines were huge.

Posted a message in the other thread that I’ll repeat again in here but I’ll just add that I hope we can pair him with some youth. Steele is getting up there, a younger wiz to help a little bit more with the modern side of the game offensively would go a long way.

After having been around Steele for a couple of years and being one of the biggest preachers of coaches being/not being a “fit” is a load of crap, I’m chuckling at the idea of Steele in Miami. That man is deep south to the core, just picturing him in Coral Gables is hilarious.

With that being said as far as purely coaching. Grade A hire, B+ at worst. He checks a ton of boxes, and is a vet disciplinarian type that we need on that side of the ball. Not to mention he is a very, very good LB coach. I was team Belk/Schumann but we could have done much worse and this is a “good” hire at the end of the day. This is in the ball park of the type of hires I expect us to make with this budget. Now let’s get this sh*t on the road.

after all the sizzle and lil steak of the past DC, I want someone sound and solid. If that's the man of Kevin Steele, lets go...

Advertisement
Eh, he'll be competent.

Shoot, he'd be the best DC we've had since probably Randy Shannon. Not even exaggerating.

He may not be an elite mind like Venables, but we won't be getting beat on ******* 4th and 17 and and 4th and 14's to lose games.

That last line is key. We would have at least 1-2 wins more per year with a guy like him running the defense rather than **** mcgee.

No, I was wondering if he was the only coach Dabo had ever fired. I know Dabo did fire him, but I wasn't sure if any other coach was fired under Dabo when he was HC at Clemson, since Dabo is known for not having fired very many coaches.
Gotcha. I put a lot more stock in his recent 5 year tenure at Auburn and not the fact that he was fired at Clemson 10 years ago for reasons we don't know. But weigh the evidence how you will.

Advertisement
Eh, he'll be competent.

Shoot, he'd be the best DC we've had since probably Randy Shannon. Not even exaggerating.

He may not be an elite mind like Venables, but we won't be getting beat on ******* 4th and 17 and and 4th and 14's to lose games.
This has got to be a standard interview hypothetical at this point.

Advertisement
My sources told me on Saturday that Mario was in talks with Steele.

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 5.23.45 PM.png

It was a 25th hour hire, he was supposed to be going to Maryland just this last Friday lol.

Mario basically threw money on the table & asked him, “Miami or College Park?” Lol
I am 49 and have zero rhythm, your previous post insinuates happiness. Are you pleased?

I used to be able to dance like that before my eyes went on me. I have been working on opening my hips up so I may be ready to battle soon enough. #cardboardlords

Advertisement
Back