Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
This is a B- hire.

While it’s true that Steele has been DC at Bama, LSU, Clemson and Auburn, he has either been fired or demoted at all those jobs with the exception of LSU, where he left for a lateral position.

Fans at most of those schools don’t speak highly of him. Clemson fans hate him. LSU fans are mixed. Auburn fans started a “#StopSteele” campaign on Twitter when it was rumored he was the frontrunner for the permanent HC job in 2020.

Steele is also almost 65 years old. He cut his teeth in the 80’s + 90’s when football was a completely different game scheme wise. At one point in time he was a great recruiter, but we don’t know if he’s still great at this stage of his career.

And then there’s the Maryland issue. That is by far the most worrisome aspect of the hire - the fact that the best job he could get this cycle (before we called) was at Maryland. Why couldn’t he do better than that? Shouldn’t schools been falling over their feet to hire him if he was such a great DC?

We’ll see how things shake out, but on the surface this is disappointing and would seem to indicate that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong about him, though, and that he kills it here. I would love nothing better to eat some crow.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

Fans at all the schools he was at speak poorly of him.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

He’s not a good recruiter.

The best job he could get this cycle was at Maryland.

This would be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

Brutal.
We like the *** shtick better

Like I said, either fired or demoted from every single DC job.

00506D6F-D731-4D83-B51F-4F82142BD17E.jpeg

Advertisement
This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

This would be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

Brutal.
He wasn't fired or demoted from Auburn. Gus got fired so he was gone too.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Brutal.

Daddy:

A lot of what you said has some merit. But some good points if hired:

-He is an excellent linebacker coach
-We will probably have the most physical defense we have had in a long time.
-He is a very good recruiter

edit: also Mario will rip off his balls if he tries to undermine him

Brutal.
I'm not going to say i'm thrilled with steele but this is typical mope behavior ^

dude is a good DC and well respected, your slant of his career and reputation is just wrong

**edit. after three hours of nerding out, I WOULD say i'm thrilled

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back