The Excuses Al Golden will make after the VT game

Advertisement
Well, they ran some exotic looks on defense that we hadn't seen before, and with a completely reshuffled offensive line, a true freshman lineman in Nick Linder, who only weights 292, 294, a true freshman QB who hasn't been in elements like that before, we had a tough time holding up against their experienced front and their exotics. I thought we fought our tails off, but we've just got to execute better, and that starts with me, Joe. Our defense had some breakdowns in their execution, and you can't do that against a great QB like they have. The kid is really experienced, has experience in an explosive offensive system from Texas Tech, and made some big throws on money downs. Again, we'll have to look at the film and get that cleaned up.

I'm not looking for excuses, Joe, but the truth is that our guys were used to playing a game every week, and I think the bye actually impacted our rhythm, and then to have to play on a Thursday, travel during the week, classes, that's tough, Joe.

Advertisement
or, "we knew coming in to this type of environment that it was going to be tough. they through some looks at us that we weren't expecting...added a few wrinkles. I gotta do a better job in making sure my guys are prepared for anything. it starts with me....but we all need to do our jobs; from the coaches to the players. we were freelancing too much. players were not in their assignments, they didn't trust the system."

Advertisement
"It's all about how many points you give up, yards don't matter. Or is it the other way around. I can't remember"

Advertisement
"You see, what, porcupine, wait a minute, uh um, you see, I don't know, **** what they did, Jackrabbit, what did you say, metaphorically, shucks I don't know, one two, one two, turn my mic up, that rooster gobble was very annoying, huh what?"

Advertisement
There's no time for excuses. Time to get better and look in the mirror including me. Va tech was money on money downs and money we were not on money downs. Like I said, we just have to tackle better and the offense cant turn the ball over. "but your defense gave up 600 yards." well if duke doesnt fumble the ball we have a chance. Cant turn the ball over. Offense didnt help the defense out. I was reaching for D'onfrio's nuts half the game and must have missed our defense giving up points. MONEY DOWNS TURNOVERS 3RD DOWNS TACKLE MONEY DOWNS STARTS WITH ME BOB)OOJHIUSBUYSOOGYSUGYSUHGYSGSY *Al Golden self destructs*

"It's tough to focus on the game with all of the aircraft buzzing around the stadium during pre-game warmups. Our kids had difficulty ignoring the noise."

Advertisement
Back