The End of the Striker position

Laugh all you want, but I'd gladly go back to a LB trio of Michael Barrow, Jessie Armstead, & Darren Smith in today's game.
Those guys played 30 years ago. The game has changed a lot. They were great players but teams aren’t running the wishbone anymore. Although they would still be great in a more modern defense.

Advertisement
It’s not the 4-2-5 I have a problem with it’s the Striker... ppl forget Manny’s original version was to have McClouds big *** playing striker lining up against slot receivers.

Many 4-2-5...All of some form of striker/bandit/rover...

You are saying you want more of a nickel? (similar obv) but 5 traditional DB

I could argue that the striker position has been a top 2 performer on the defense the last few years.
Gilbert was really good last season and Romeo Finley was one of the more underrated canes defenders in the last decade.

Ya...Finley tailed off senior year I thought but was definitely decent. Frierson big step forward and honestly what I've seen K.Smith has flashed he can be the best of all 3.

I also think Smith could play Will if needed...He was impressive to me out there this year.

Schematically T Rob doesn’t match here unless.......
Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

Advertisement
No matter what happens I expect changes at the very least schematically
So, if Baker's defense isn't the same as Manny's defense, and it appears not to be - then why doesn't Manny dictate the changes and Baker adjust? Seems that easy from here, right?

Advertisement
Two big differences...

1.) The way our defense lines up no matter how the offense lines up is a problem bc of the striker... running lanes in run support and wholes in pass coverage are immediately exposed before the ball is snapped. I don’t see that with the other teams that run better defenses in this era.

2.) The rigid assignment in this defense compared to other teams Rovers or Star positions is a problem. The striker is out of the play before the ball is snapped more times than not. Other teams version will not only have them play nickel or dime but will also roam inside to help in run support, spy, or cover like an additional safety. The striker doesn’t do any of that which is why the NFL doesn’t draft them .

go ahead and tell me I’m right :backyard-pool:

1. That's a scheme/alignment problem, not a Striker problem. The Striker always lines-up inside the #2 receiver. He takes away any inside routes and provides additional run support.

2. The Striker does do those things. Our Striker blitzes, provides run support, covers inside routes, covers the flats, etc.

Explain how the Striker is "out of the play" before the ball is snapped.
Is he sitting by the water cooler?
If not, then he's not out of the play. He's somewhere by the #2 receiver.

So, if Baker's defense isn't the same as Manny's defense, and it appears not to be - then why doesn't Manny dictate the changes and Baker adjust? Seems that easy from here, right?
Blake is running Manny’s D, I’m saying if they don’t get the dc they want I’d expect some tweaks/changes to the scheme.

Advertisement
Those guys played 30 years ago. The game has changed a lot. They were great players but teams aren’t running the wishbone anymore. Although they would still be great in a more modern defense.

I will say that they were also unique in that Smith had the ability to cover slot guys. We lined up in a 4-3 when we played Houston run and shoot back in 91. We easily contained them.

they did ok vs. the run and shoot. I recall the Houston coach at the time saying something like once they realized our lbs could cover their wrs they were in for a long night.

Advertisement
they did ok vs. the run and shoot. I recall the Houston coach at the time saying something like once they realized our lbs could cover their wrs they were in for a long night.

BINGO! And Lubick said they sat in a vanilla Cover-2 all night.

I like the idea of changing the name of the Striker to something different every month so it looks like Diaz is constantly innovating. Striker, Rover, Viper, Joker, Ace, Star, Superstar, Sweeper, Duster, Cleaver, Moneybacker, Moneyshotter, Pineapple, Pineapple Pen, etc

The run and shoot isn't exactly what I'd call a modern offense. They used a bunch of receivers but they were still thinking old school in terms of trying to throw vertically. They lined up under center and by the time their QB got to the bottom of his 7 step drop, he was getting sacked. They didn't use the quick passing game to get their skill players in space like today's offenses do. With that Miami pass rush, especially against a Houston team that wasn't nearly as talented, taking deep drops and trying to pass protect long enough to run vertical routes was suicide. Honestly. Erickson's offense had more in common with today's offenses than the run and shoot. Not to mention, the rules didn't favor the offenses nearly as much back then. Guys could get a lot more physical with receivers.

Advertisement
Back