The End of the Striker position

It goes back to two things consistently, the play call at the time, man vs zone, usually being the wrong one the past two years against coaches with a pulse and the LB play needed to compensate when our aggressive DE's lose contain, which has been severely lacking since we lost Shaq and Pinck.

Striker is the least of our worries IMO and it's not really much different than what others do, it's just a fancy term we happen to use.

Advertisement
The striker position is just a cute way of saying we’re in nickel base defense. Which majority teams stay in these days.

You’re right. This obsession with nomenclature is so bizarre. It’s not some oddball defense. Other teams run this and call it by a different name.

It’s when you don’t adjust your calls or players ***** up assignments that you get issues. Like with any other defense.

And to compare it to DNo’s defense is absurd. That defense was different in several ways, the most notable being in how Dlinemen were used

Striker isn’t the the issue , it’s gap discipline and running zone all game. Playing for sacks and disruption is cute until offenses counter everything you’re doing. Let’s talk schematics , not a position name that every team uses.
Facts. We’re on the right track on D but missing the basic philosophical football stuff. Need an old school smash mouth football coach to come in and make tweaks to what manny already does.

Instill some gap integrity in our run D and some overall discipline in our blitz and zone coverages. We’re definitely gonna play more bump and run with Trob. He didn’t come here to coach 65% zone defense.

Manny‘s Defensive scheme is trash it’s only better than D’onfrios by default. With that being said How will our defense look without the Striker position?

We need a defense that’s multiple and not running out of the same stupid looking formation every snap >>> I’m looking at u Manny 🤡. I want to see 4 LBers when needed, 4 CBs when needed, Two safeties and a Rover when needed.

Thoughts?
Soooo by Rover you mean...THE STRIKER?

Advertisement
To be fair.. our striker does NOT do the same thing that a “star” or “bear” or “rover” like bama, or florida ..but that’s a coaching problem not a positional problem. I’m not even sure what we’re asking our striker to do a lot of the time, the alignments have them in no man’s land 80% of the time

Facts. We’re on the right track on D but missing the basic philosophical football stuff. Need an old school smash mouth football coach to come in and make tweaks to what manny already does.

Instill some gap integrity in our run D and some overall discipline in our blitz and zone coverages. We’re definitely gonna play more bump and run with Trob. He didn’t come here to coach 65% zone defense.
Schematically T Rob doesn’t match here unless.......

Advertisement
I know Macho has been critical of the scheme and he’s right. But the people that hate the striker but want us to play a defense that uses star, rover, money, nickel, joker, etc whatever you want to call it are the ones that post the most.

Macho actually brings useful reasoning.
The structure of the defense, I don't mind.
It's the principles within the defense that I hate.

Advertisement
Hey @KrazyCane

kid mero gtfo GIF by Desus & Mero

Advertisement
@RVACane cement your legacy here by implementing a 3/4 board vote to ban an extraordinary bad poRster, at least for a few days at a time

I know Macho has been critical of the scheme and he’s right. But the people that hate the striker but want us to play a defense that uses star, rover, money, nickel, joker, etc whatever you want to call it are the ones that post the most.

Macho actually brings useful reasoning.

are you saying the rover is the same as the striker? I think some of y’all don’t understand the difference ... but I’m the one who knows.

I don’t think the striker should go, but I do agree we need an answer when teams go heavy. When was the last time we stopped a 3rd and 1?

Advertisement
Back