The End of the Striker position

I agree OP, the "Striker" position is useless with our Banda coached, slow reacting *** SAFETIES. I swear the last time I saw a Miami Hurricane Safety make a big time hit in a game, was when Jamal Carter broke the RB's arm in the FAU game in 2015...that was 6 ******* I N G years ago!!!

Advertisement
You people are missing the point. OP's beef is not that the position exists, but our insistence on using it despite the personnel that's on the field for the opposing offense.

I think people don't understand that when you play madden and you choose KC offense there's a difference between how someone like mark richt would call the plays and someone like andy reid would call the plays

baker calls a similar defense to manny, NOT the same

and he sure as **** doesn't call plays when and where needed like manny did

people lumping them together or assuming it's manny's scheme that's failing don't understand how football works
I couldn't agree with this more! Similar scheme but it's CALLED completely different. Just look at our what our corners were asked to do when Manny was the DC compared to Baker.

Just look at the UNC game to see how slow our Safeties are to react.

A GOOD, well coached Safety can stop a RB that's gotten through the 1st 2 levels of a defense at 8 yards, while our Safeties were just making their moves when UNC's RBs had already picked up 12-15 yds..

ohio state has far better linebackers than us and they got bent over a barrel when they went 4-4-3 against bama.
Exactly. I laugh at all the idiots crying about going back to a 4-3 base. The offense’s job is to try to exploit matchups as much as possible. If you’re countering a 3 WR set with 3 linebackers, you’re just giving the offense a freebie. Watching Alabama receivers roast the Ohio State linebackers over an over was just laughable.

Advertisement
Exactly. I laugh at all the idiots crying about going back to a 4-3 base. The offense’s job is to try to exploit matchups as much as possible. If you’re countering a 3 WR set with 3 linebackers, you’re just giving the offense a freebie. Watching Alabama receivers roast the Ohio State linebackers over an over was just laughable.
Yeah tuf borland is still trying to catch devonta smith😂

are you saying the rover is the same as the striker? I think some of y’all don’t understand the difference ... but I’m the one who knows.
The Striker is a strong-side apex defender.
Every defense in football has a strong-side apex defender.
Some call it the Rover, some call it the Stud, some call it the Star...we call it a Striker.

What's the difference between a Rover and a Striker?

Most teams regardless of defense is running defenses with a third safety that has a non safety name. It doesn't matter if it's a 4-2-5 or a 3-3-5. Even teams that run a 4-3 have shrunk the the strong side backer to a hybrid lb/s. Doesn't matter what it's called. Most teams have settled with that because that third safety type can cover better than a lb and is better against the run than a third corner.

Advertisement
Some call it the Rover, some call it the Stud, some call it the Star...we call it a Striker.

The difference is that Manny decided to call it a “Striker.” So if you don’t like Manny, then you’re naturally gonna hate the “Striker” position.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Manny‘s Defensive scheme is trash it’s only better than D’onfrios by default. With that being said How will our defense look without the Striker position?

We need a defense that’s multiple and not running out of the same stupid looking formation every snap >>> I’m looking at u Manny 🤡. I want to see 4 LBers when needed, 4 CBs when needed, Two safeties and a Rover when needed.

Thoughts?
that scheme was perfectly fine when we had capable players. it was actually dominant. the better take is we need to recruit to our needs better. I would say with guys like Chase Smith and Leonard Taylor we are attempting to do so. look at what we have now compared to what we had. I guess people forget how good Jaquan and Redwine were

Laugh all you want, but I'd gladly go back to a LB trio of Michael Barrow, Jessie Armstead, & Darren Smith in today's game.

they'd still get torched unless we were running 3-3-5. nebraska was still running the triple option with success when they were playing and going 3 wide in a base offense was considered an innovation.

this is like "pro style, bro" for the other side of the ball.

Two big differences...

1.) The way our defense lines up no matter how the offense lines up is a problem bc of the striker... running lanes in run support and wholes in pass coverage are immediately exposed before the ball is snapped. I don’t see that with the other teams that run better defenses in this era.

2.) The rigid assignment in this defense compared to other teams Rovers or Star positions is a problem. The striker is out of the play before the ball is snapped more times than not. Other teams version will not only have them play nickel or dime but will also roam inside to help in run support, spy, or cover like an additional safety. The striker doesn’t do any of that which is why the NFL doesn’t draft them .

go ahead and tell me I’m right :backyard-pool:

Advertisement
Back