The End of the NCAA??

Brickell

Redshirt Freshman
With the recent SCOTUS decision and NIL and now this - it's only a matter of time before college athletes are declared university employees. This will destroy the NCAA as a institution. Who knows what the implications are for college football and for us...

Advertisement
Having had first hand experience dealing with the NLRB, I can say without a doubt they are one of the most screwed up institutions in this country. Highly disjointed, out of touch with reality, and very politically driven as their members are appointed by whoever resides in the White House.

I have heard that many University employees hate their jobs and all of the rules and regulations they have to follow while representing said University in a proper manner and all the politics that goes on behind the scenes.

Be careful what you ask for college athletes. You may just get it...
... and hate it even more than the current system.

Advertisement
The NCAA will always remain in some fashion.

It is an association of colleges and universities that play sports. As long as those colleges and universities play sports they will have some form of governing body.
Exactly. We don't need THIS NCAA but we need some form of an NCAA. Call it whatever you want but there needs to be a governing body even if it's just some council agreed upon by the conferences.

Having had first hand experience dealing with the NLRB, I can say without a doubt they are one of the most screwed up institutions in this country. Highly disjointed, out of touch with reality, and very politically driven as their members are appointed by whoever resides in the White House.
Oddly enough you could replace NLRB with NCAA and it reads about the same, except for possibly the White House part.

Advertisement
Praise THEE!

The NCAA made sense at one point. But now, it's so hard to see past kids that should be making money, not making money. And at an egregious level. For example, Bryce Young basically being a millionaire in the first year of NIL is indicative of how much market value these kids have. "But they get a degree!" -- This isn't your grandpas college football.

The next step in this will be College Football being a farm system for the NFL to the way the MLB farm system is to.. the MLB. We already have a working model. Does the MLB farm system hurt college baseball? Well that's hard to argue because baseball just sucks in general (mehehe).

Never forget what this man said:
1644360044470.png

Long live the U. I'll bleed orange/green forever. But the kids can't be handicapped until there 21 years old (draft age). It's not right.

Still going: I had a friend in high school get drafted in the 3rd round of MLB, got paid 500k, and his tuition was paid for if he didn't make it to the Bigs. Why is this model NOT ALLOWED for football players???? Look at every other sport.... It seems like the NCAA and the NFL have been in bed together for far too long.

Last edited:
With the recent SCOTUS decision and NIL and now this - it's only a matter of time before college athletes are declared university employees. This will destroy the NCAA as a institution. Who knows what the implications are for college football and for us...

I've been predicting this for a while. Giving college student-athletes "employee" status will destroy the current system.

However, we will still need a sanctioning and rule-making body going forward. May not be the NCAA, but it will be something.

JFC. If you don't want to play college football, don't play college football. Nobody is forcing you. If there is any issue, it should be with the NFL and their age rule. That's who they should be suing. Or, focus their attention on attracting investors to create their own minor league to compete with the NCAA and NFL.

I hate what could happen to all the kids who get a college education on scholarship and never play pro if this type of trend persists in tearing down college athletics. Many simply won't get the same opportunities in life.

I hope they prevail. It's time to stop this charade of calling teenagers that have been playing their respective sport(s) since they were pre-teens, amateurs...and breathe.

Advertisement
Everyone consistently calls it a broken system of thrives. It’s already burning to the ground. Couldn’t happen to a better bunch of self righteous ********. Hypocrites all of them. Don’t let fear of losing your beloved Miami Hurricanes make you one of them. The Olympics survived and so will college football. The Olympics sucks now too 🤭 The only constant is change.

Lol; this y politics should never be involved in anything besides politics.

OK; so for the fan base that want kids to be treated as employees, let me tell u the consequences:

-Scholarships? Yeah, those r being taxed

-NIL deals? Taxed

-Falling out of favor w/ a coach? Better walk on egg shells, b/c as an employee they can deem anything conduct detrimental to the team & ur scholly is not only gone, but whatever compensation u received on it will still be taxed.

-Room & Board? Out of pocket expense

Let’s just put it like this; all of the amenities a player receives as an athlete on the school’s dime is out the door.

In this day & age of hyper reaction & the unintended consequences it leads to, I’m surprise ppl still fall for chit that hasn’t been thoroughly vetted b/c it sounds good “at the time.” All these governors pressing for NIL deals, as what was proposed, didn’t even imagine the loop holes exploited by boosters. They had no idea kids would be making 6-7 figure deals; they figured, like the intent of the deal, that kids would make a couple of thousand from % of jersey sells, ads, autograph signings, etc. Now? They’re trying to create bills to tax these deals as these kids r getting away w/ 6 figure scholly & NIL deals tax free. Lol.

The NCAA is needed. The NFL, NBA, MLS, EUFA, NHL etc all have governing bodies. Don’t allow other chit to cloud judgment b/c u might not want CFB to go back to pre NCAA where everybody & their mama could claim a Nat’l Title & chit was unstructured.

I see the NFL forming a minor league like Baseball. But the NCAA needs to pay the players from their tv contracts. I wouldn't want the players deemed university enployees. We already had that hit piece about how Miami paid a 8M coach but cant pay teachers. Sorry but when teachers bring in the money football does, we can have that conversation. And yes teachers are as important as any profession and shouldbe paid well. But at the end of the day its money talks and bull**** walks.

Advertisement
I can understand a need for player representation. I read numerous articles about transfer rules and regulating NIL. Seems appropriate those impacted by transfer rules and NIL regulation, the players, have a collective say on these matters.

Slippery slope though.

I do not think rank and file players would want to be unionized employees.

and they all will get comfy jobs in the SEC cause they were crooks all along who supports only the SEC

OK; so for the fan base that want kids to be treated as employees, let me tell u the consequences:

-NIL deals? Taxed

-Falling out of favor w/ a coach? Better walk on egg shells, b/c as an employee they can deem anything conduct detrimental to the team & ur scholly is not only gone, but whatever compensation u received on it will still be taxed.

Let’s just put it like this; all of the amenities a player receives as an athlete on the school’s dime is out the door.

In this day & age of hyper reaction & the unintended consequences it leads to, I’m surprise ppl still fall for chit that hasn’t been thoroughly vetted b/c it sounds good “at the time.” All these governors pressing for NIL deals, as what was proposed, didn’t even imagine the loop holes exploited by boosters. They had no idea kids would be making 6-7 figure deals; they figured, like the intent of the deal, that kids would make a couple of thousand from % of jersey sells, ads, autograph signings, etc. Now? They’re trying to create bills to tax these deals as these kids r getting away w/ 6 figure scholly & NIL deals tax free. Lol.

The NCAA is needed. The NFL, NBA, MLS, EUFA, NHL etc all have governing bodies. Don’t allow other chit to cloud judgment b/c u might not want CFB to go back to pre NCAA where everybody & their mama could claim a Nat’l Title & chit was unstructured.
I hate the NCAA and Mark Emmert is nothing more than a SEC toilet bug. But looking at the big picture, there has to be sanctions in place to keep CFB as we know it going. The NFL for the most part has lost its luster(at least to me). No need to have CFB follow suit.

-NIL deals? Taxed

**** straight!

The other thing that people forget is that the NCAA benefits so many student athletes you'll never even know the names of. Even right here at our beloved school. Nevermind all those at some schools you've never heard of.

The NCAA, like any organization needs some tweaking. The premise is good and benefits so many that aren't household names and gives them a chance with their athletic ability to attain a college degree and better their lives tremendously.

It has also, contrary to what some may think here, tried to level the playing field by and large. You want a free for all, then there's a lot of schools that will be left behind and eventually those schools may say to **** with it, let's cancel these sports.

This wild west era that we're currently in, I don't know how it pans out, but there's going to be clear cut winners and losers. The biggest loser though is likely to be opportunity as I feel programs will be shuttered and where there was once a scholarship, there won't be. That's sad for all those you've never heard of.

Advertisement
Back