The End of the NCAA??

Advertisement
I think this is more likely but **** those SEC slurping ***** for ruining the greatest sport in all of sports.
The level of discontent at the SEC level with football fans is as high as anything you will ever read on this forum. The inability of the NCAA to get the job done is getting to the breakpoint. You can't have this many unhappy coaches and ADs without it quickly filtering to the administrative branch. And you can't regionalize NCAA stupidity. Stop trying.

I agree with most of your post except that the NCAA is needed. College sports needs a strong governing body, and the NCAA has proven that they have no idea how to handle this new version of college athletics. They need to go away totally and be replaced by some other governing body. Maybe the Power five will finally break away and regulate themselves. I don’t know what will happen, but if the NCAA remains in power for much longer they will just watch this thing drive itself off of a cliff.

But we’re so hyper focused on CFB, that we forget the NCAA is the governing body of all collegiate athletics, including non profitable sports.

Instead of replaced, reform needs to happen. Non of this would be an issue if these dudes would’ve embraced NIL. But now NIL is not what it’s supposed to be b/c the concept have been fully sullied & exploited by outside boosters. Imo, a breath of fresh air needs to be swept through the NCAA, starting w/ Emmert.

But we’re so hyper focused on CFB, that we forget the NCAA is the governing body of all collegiate athletics, including non profitable sports.

Instead of replaced, reform needs to happen. Non of this would be an issue if these dudes would’ve embraced NIL. But now NIL is not what it’s supposed to be b/c the concept have been fully sullied & exploited by outside boosters. Imo, a breath of fresh air needs to be swept through the NCAA, starting w/ Emmert.
I don’t understand how Emmett keeps his job. Maybe he does a great job with the non-revenue generating sports that you alluded to, but it’s baffling that he hasn’t been replaced. I know there are strong forward looking leaders out there that would be great for college athletics, but this dude continues to hang on no matter how bad he looks. I really thought he would have resigned by now.

I don’t understand how Emmett keeps his job. Maybe he does a great job with the non-revenue generating sports that you alluded to, but it’s baffling that he hasn’t been replaced. I know there are strong forward looking leaders out there that would be great for college athletics, but this dude continues to hang on no matter how bad he looks. I really thought he would have resigned by now.

I’ve come to believe this dude has dirt on a lot of ppl. Honestly, he’s been a ******* from the get-go. Dude has been in office for a decade, & can’t get his head of out of his a$$.

And now, it’s been a complete whirlwind. Transfers could’ve been mitigated the moment the issue came up for student athletes. The transfer portal was a good idea, the execution of it horrible. NIL should’ve happened; if a student athlete’s name, likeness or image is used in any marketing material, gaming, advertisement, commercials, autograph signing, memorabilia sells, they should’ve been compensated b/c the school, that entity is being compensated. % marks could’ve been in place along w/ school stipends & fully funded scholarships; but no, they wanted to say these were students & amateurs.

Now, we have what we have. SMH. It’s just crazy to see all this happen when “minor” adjustment should’ve been thoroughly vetted & considered when the issue came up. U can’t just bury ur head & still hide behind antiquated arguments that’s been exposed butt naked

Advertisement
Of course I see where it's coming from. I'm all for the free market. The NFL sets its rules, the NCAA sets theirs, and people choose what they want to do. Let's not act like people don't get to freely choose what to do with their lives. This isn't China, yet.

All I'm saying is it's not as simple as saying "college student-athletes are employees". Athletic scholarships are a great deal for the student-athlete, and have worked a tremendous benefit for American society for many many years. We shouldn't be so rash to throw out the entire system because all of a sudden in the last 20 years TV money has poured into the sport and it suddenly seems like there are a few football players who "aren't getting their slice of the pie". It may sound great on the face, but it won't be.

NIL should be just that, players having the ability to earn some extra dough based on their merits and passions, not booster foundations setting up salary pools to be used to recruit new players to a school. As long as that's the rules, we should play that game and I hope we can keep up, but it's not good for the sport or the players necessarily.

Not saying I have all the answers, just saying this stuff requires a little more thought than "it's only fair".

I see what you're saying & I also agree.

I'm all for looking out for the little man & that's what this is all about.

More or less, it's a good thing I'm not making the decisions lol.

Looking at it different now, I guess we can have all these grandiose ideas, but how can we effectively apply that to the current system? Like you say, a lot has to be considered.

Since we had to bring race into it, what about the black and hispanic kids in football, basketball, and baseball all over the country who aren't good enough to get NIL deals but who need that scholarship to get a college degree? Too many people here are basing their opinions on the .05% of the athletes who would actually make money. The other 99.95% lose a life-changing opportunity.

Yeah, the golfer at Pepperdine is going to be fine without an athletic scholarship. The backup safety at North Texas isn't.

Bro, all this means is that the term scholarship, will be replaced by the term income, that's it, it's all word games. Now will that income be taxed, sure, but all that means is that they'll have to learn to budget like the rest of the student body.

Bro, all this means is that the term scholarship, will be replaced by the term income, that's it, it's all word games. Now will that income be taxed, sure, but all that means is that they'll have to learn to budget like the rest of the student body.

Except that many schools are just going to say ***** it, we're not handing out paychecks to backup players on a 2-10 football team.

Advertisement

Also, since there is no scholarship, that poor black backup player is having to fork it all over to the university to pay for tuition and books.

If it’s taxed, why is Congress trying to propose a tax bill on it? I didn’t read the whole story since it was so many proposals to try to mitigate this
I think it might be tax rate discussions because I understand that they are paying self employment tax rates now

Advertisement
Understood, but at the very least those affluent athletes are getting a pretty good discount.
What about affluent athletes who do get full ride scholarships like Nesta Silvera or Michael Irvin Jr? I mean, I agree that there are certain people who definitely don't need the scholarship but just because you're not poor, it doesn't mean you haven't earned a scholarship.

Why bother with scholarships at all? In addition to paying the going amounts, just pay enough to cover tuition as well. A team could have 100 walkons. Forget the 25-30 signing limits, or player scholarship limits. Get guys so they don't play against you.

Why bother with scholarships at all? In addition to paying the going amounts, just pay enough to cover tuition as well. A team could have 100 walkons. Forget the 25-30 signing limits, or player scholarship limits. Get guys so they don't play against you.
This is literally what teams used to do before scholarship limits. Alabama would sign a kid they didn’t even want just because Auburn wanted him. Then the kid would just get buried in the depth chart because the NCAA made it really hard for a kid to transfer.

Advertisement
But the state is paying ***,***,***$$ for a coach.

Are Florida taxpayers still paying for Dan Mullen's contract?

Are Florida taxpayers still paying for Taggart's contract?

I hope not, tbh.
In both cases I presume money raised booster groups are footing at least a portion of the bill. But, I may be wrong.

Advertisement
Back