The End of the NCAA??

Lol; this y politics should never be involved in anything besides politics.

OK; so for the fan base that want kids to be treated as employees, let me tell u the consequences:

-Scholarships? Yeah, those r being taxed

-NIL deals? Taxed

-Falling out of favor w/ a coach? Better walk on egg shells, b/c as an employee they can deem anything conduct detrimental to the team & ur scholly is not only gone, but whatever compensation u received on it will still be taxed.

-Room & Board? Out of pocket expense

Let’s just put it like this; all of the amenities a player receives as an athlete on the school’s dime is out the door.

In this day & age of hyper reaction & the unintended consequences it leads to, I’m surprise ppl still fall for chit that hasn’t been thoroughly vetted b/c it sounds good “at the time.” All these governors pressing for NIL deals, as what was proposed, didn’t even imagine the loop holes exploited by boosters. They had no idea kids would be making 6-7 figure deals; they figured, like the intent of the deal, that kids would make a couple of thousand from % of jersey sells, ads, autograph signings, etc. Now? They’re trying to create bills to tax these deals as these kids r getting away w/ 6 figure scholly & NIL deals tax free. Lol.

The NCAA is needed. The NFL, NBA, MLS, EUFA, NHL etc all have governing bodies. Don’t allow other chit to cloud judgment b/c u might not want CFB to go back to pre NCAA where everybody & their mama could claim a Nat’l Title & chit was unstructured.
The schools are not paying the nil so that alone would not make them employees of the school. They will in fact be employees of the company paying them nil and will most likely be taxed on those earnings. Just my opinion of it

Advertisement
With the recent SCOTUS decision and NIL and now this - it's only a matter of time before college athletes are declared university employees. This will destroy the NCAA as a institution. Who knows what the implications are for college football and for us...

Only problem is then they are not entitled to scholarships and free boarding and meals etc. Like every other employee, they can pay and eat from the cafeteria.
That might not affect the stars with their NIL deals but the average players are going to have a more difficult time.

OK; so for the fan base that want kids to be treated as employees, let me tell u the consequences:

-NIL deals? Taxed

-Falling out of favor w/ a coach? Better walk on egg shells, b/c as an employee they can deem anything conduct detrimental to the team & ur scholly is not only gone, but whatever compensation u received on it will still be taxed.

Let’s just put it like this; all of the amenities a player receives as an athlete on the school’s dime is out the door.

In this day & age of hyper reaction & the unintended consequences it leads to, I’m surprise ppl still fall for chit that hasn’t been thoroughly vetted b/c it sounds good “at the time.” All these governors pressing for NIL deals, as what was proposed, didn’t even imagine the loop holes exploited by boosters. They had no idea kids would be making 6-7 figure deals; they figured, like the intent of the deal, that kids would make a couple of thousand from % of jersey sells, ads, autograph signings, etc. Now? They’re trying to create bills to tax these deals as these kids r getting away w/ 6 figure scholly & NIL deals tax free. Lol.

The NCAA is needed. The NFL, NBA, MLS, EUFA, NHL etc all have governing bodies. Don’t allow other chit to cloud judgment b/c u might not want CFB to go back to pre NCAA where everybody & their mama could claim a Nat’l Title & chit was unstructured.

If 18 Y/O members of the United States Armed Forces can pay taxes, then there's absolutely no reason College athletes can't.

-NIL deals? Taxed

Agreed on almost everything but nil is already taxed so that won’t change. My guess is the players would also want long term health insurance. the unintended consequences on this will be much bigger than what we’ve seen with nil and transfer portal, etc. will contracts of some sort come into play? Crazy to think about

I knew it when the NIL rules adopted.

Can Open Season 2 GIF by Friends

Advertisement
Agreed on almost everything but nil is already taxed so that won’t change. My guess is the players would also want long term health insurance. the unintended consequences on this will be much bigger than what we’ve seen with nil and transfer portal, etc. will contracts of some sort come into play? Crazy to think about

If it’s taxed, why is Congress trying to propose a tax bill on it? I didn’t read the whole story since it was so many proposals to try to mitigate this

Question....it's one thing to have a college coach making $6M-$8M a year as the state's top paid employee (for a state school). What happens when the same said school is paying nearly that amount for a top quarterback, $5M for a top running back, $4M for a top offensive lineman, ect? Politically, how does that go over when it is the public that is funding these expenses (at least in part)?

Question....it's one thing to have a college coach making $6M-$8M a year as the state's top paid employee (for a state school). What happens when the same said school is paying nearly that amount for a top quarterback, $5M for a top running back, $4M for a top offensive lineman, ect? Politically, how does that go over when it is the public that is funding these expenses (at least in part)?
The school isn’t paying.

The provider of the NIL deal(s) is.

The school is not paying the players so they aren't employees. If anything, they may be considered self employed contract workers.

Advertisement
JFC. If you don't want to play college football, don't play college football. Nobody is forcing you. If there is any issue, it should be with the NFL and their age rule. That's who they should be suing. Or, focus their attention on attracting investors to create their own minor league to compete with the NCAA and NFL.

I hate what could happen to all the kids who get a college education on scholarship and never play pro if this type of trend persists in tearing down college athletics. Many simply won't get the same opportunities in life.

College Baseball exists. And so too does the MLB farm system.

"If there is any issue, it should be with the NFL and their age rule" --- Don't you think they are laying in bed? Mike Vrabel said it out loud like an idiot -- a Freudian slip, that's the new hot phrase. They have a major incentive to work together. Like, hundreds of millions worth. "The owners need money!" -- The taxpayers paying for the stadiums say otherwise.

And what is being torn down by college athletics? The kids picked their own schools anyways. "I want to go to a school that wins". We used to have 100+ scholarship players, right? How was that "Fair"?

Open up the market, make it a free market. Before NIL, everything was paid under the table, no? UM knows. We cheated pretty good.

If made into a free market, and the kids are paid like they should, the impetus is placed on the coaches and competitive advantage is placed on "money-ball". How well can a head coach operate within his budget...

We pay these universities quite a bit in taxpayer money. Where does the slope end? Boosters contribute millions, yet the highest paid state employee is not an economist or intellectual; the highest paid state employee's are college head football coaches.

This is all over the place. I don't expect you to respond everything. But, you have to see where this is coming from, right?

The school isn’t paying.

The provider of the NIL deal(s) is.

But the state is paying ***,***,***$$ for a coach.

Are Florida taxpayers still paying for Dan Mullen's contract?

Are Florida taxpayers still paying for Taggart's contract?

I hope not, tbh.

However, speaking of the SEC, this would probably make it much easier to create their own “league of super teams” and get away from all the other conferences. That’s basically what that are trying to do anyway by poaching Texas and Oklahoma. If they were to grab sap OSU and Michigan, maybe a couple out west and FSU, Clem and us.
What would really be left? That group would basically be an nfl farm league. Again it opens up a lot of other issues, but it’s also possible.

I’m for NIL deals and players profiting off their own likeness but I think this is too far. You’re making a huge mess for the overwhelming majority of college athletes who are there BECAUSE of the scholarship, not in spite of it. This comes from the line of thinking that University athletic departments are huge cash cows when in reality, the only ones making significant money are programs with P5 football teams and a handful of men’s basketball powerhouses. For most universities, the athletic department is an expense and not a means of making money.

Let the big name kids who are actually driving the revenue for the big name universities make their money but don’t make every kid on an athletic scholarship an employee of the school. That’s just a huge mess.

Advertisement
But the state is paying ***,***,***$$ for a coach.

Are Florida taxpayers still paying for Dan Mullen's contract?

Are Florida taxpayers still paying for Taggart's contract?

I hope not, tbh.
Technically, tax dollars aren’t supposed to go directly to athletics but when a university is publicly subsidized, it allows them to move other money that normally wouldn’t have gone there, to the athletic department. The highest paid public employee in many states is a college football coach.

College Baseball exists. And so too does the MLB farm system.

"If there is any issue, it should be with the NFL and their age rule" --- Don't you think they are laying in bed? Mike Vrabel said it out loud like an idiot -- a Freudian slip, that's the new hot phrase. They have a major incentive to work together. Like, hundreds of millions worth. "The owners need money!" -- The taxpayers paying for the stadiums say otherwise.

And what is being torn down by college athletics? The kids picked their own schools anyways. "I want to go to a school that wins". We used to have 100+ scholarship players, right? How was that "Fair"?

Open up the market, make it a free market. Before NIL, everything was paid under the table, no? UM knows. We cheated pretty good.

If made into a free market, and the kids are paid like they should, the impetus is placed on the coaches and competitive advantage is placed on "money-ball". How well can a head coach operate within his budget...

We pay these universities quite a bit in taxpayer money. Where does the slope end? Boosters contribute millions, yet the highest paid state employee is not an economist or intellectual; the highest paid state employee's are college head football coaches.

This is all over the place. I don't expect you to respond everything. But, you have to see where this is coming from, right?
Of course I see where it's coming from. I'm all for the free market. The NFL sets its rules, the NCAA sets theirs, and people choose what they want to do. Let's not act like people don't get to freely choose what to do with their lives. This isn't China, yet.

All I'm saying is it's not as simple as saying "college student-athletes are employees". Athletic scholarships are a great deal for the student-athlete, and have worked a tremendous benefit for American society for many many years. We shouldn't be so rash to throw out the entire system because all of a sudden in the last 20 years TV money has poured into the sport and it suddenly seems like there are a few football players who "aren't getting their slice of the pie". It may sound great on the face, but it won't be.

NIL should be just that, players having the ability to earn some extra dough based on their merits and passions, not booster foundations setting up salary pools to be used to recruit new players to a school. As long as that's the rules, we should play that game and I hope we can keep up, but it's not good for the sport or the players necessarily.

Not saying I have all the answers, just saying this stuff requires a little more thought than "it's only fair".

You’re making a huge mess for the overwhelming majority of college athletes who are there BECAUSE of the scholarship, not in spite of it. This comes from the line of thinking that University athletic departments are huge cash cows when in reality, the only ones making significant money are programs with P5 football teams and a handful of men’s basketball powerhouses. For most universities, the athletic department is an expense and not a means of making money.

This is a myth that's already been debunked. Athletic Departments are losing money because the non-revenue sports, which consists of mostly non-Black kids that come from affluence, are spending twice as much as they bring in. Read the bios of the athletes in non-revenue sports, it's like the who's who of trust fund babies, they don't need an athletic scholarship to go to school. This whole "Capitalism ends as soon as you step foot on a College campus" argument is just bizarre to me, frankly it's un-American.

Advertisement
This is a myth that's already been debunked. Athletic Departments are losing money because the non-revenue sports, which consists of mostly non-Black kids that come from affluence, are spending twice as much as they bring in. Read the bios of the athletes in non-revenue sports, it's like the who's who of trust fund babies, they don't need an athletic scholarship to go to school. This whole "Capitalism ends as soon as you step foot on a College campus" argument is just bizarre to me, frankly it's un-American.

Since we had to bring race into it, what about the black and hispanic kids in football, basketball, and baseball all over the country who aren't good enough to get NIL deals but who need that scholarship to get a college degree? Too many people here are basing their opinions on the .05% of the athletes who would actually make money. The other 99.95% lose a life-changing opportunity.

Yeah, the golfer at Pepperdine is going to be fine without an athletic scholarship. The backup safety at North Texas isn't.

Lol most non revenue sports have to split up their scholarships into partials. Only football and basketball players get full athletic scholarships. But there’s a ton of football and basketball players who aren’t at big schools who 100% are relying upon on that scholarship. The guys playing for big money programs are a tiny fraction of college athletes

-NIL deals? Taxed

I agree with most of your post except that the NCAA is needed. College sports needs a strong governing body, and the NCAA has proven that they have no idea how to handle this new version of college athletics. They need to go away totally and be replaced by some other governing body. Maybe the Power five will finally break away and regulate themselves. I don’t know what will happen, but if the NCAA remains in power for much longer they will just watch this thing drive itself off of a cliff.

Advertisement
Back