The Defensive Stats I think matter most

I wish the excuse brigade would sit in our stands on Friday nights. I need you guys on my team.

All jokes aside, valid points made by both parties. At the end of the day, you don't need stats to see that this defense needs work.

The question we should all ponder is...
Do we have a personnel issue or a coaching issue? I don't see us getting beat in 1-on-1 match-ups or being "out-athleted" in the secondary or on the D-line very often, if ever. We seem to have better athletes than every offense we face. When offenses succeed against us it's usually due to fundamental issues. That's something that really irks me. I don't get upset if a WR beats one of our CB's over the top or a stud RB shakes one of our LB's. I get ****ed when I see us leaving guys wide open or taking awful run fits. Those are mental issues.

How do we fix our issues going forward? Is signing better players really gonna make us that much better? Where's our ceiling?
Do we still have a talent deficiency?

If we played defense like we did back in the day and just lined-up in a basic 4-3 with Quarters and man coverage...basic ****...letting our athletes do the work...would we be better or worse?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wish the excuse brigade would sit in our stands on Friday nights. I need you guys on my team.

All jokes aside, valid points made by both parties. At the end of the day, you don't need stats to see that this defense needs work.

Do we have a personnel issue or a coaching issue? I don't see us getting beat in 1-on-1 match-ups or being "out-athleted" in the secondary or on the D-line very often, if ever. We seem to have better athletes than every offense we face. When offense succeed against us it's usually due to fundamental issues. That's something that really irks me. I don't get upset if a WR beats one of our CB's over the top or a stud RB shakes one of our LB's. I get ****ed when I see us leaving guys wide open or taking awful run fits. Those are mental issues.

I propose a question.

If we played defense like we did back in the day and just lined-up in a basic 4-3 with Quarters and man coverage...basic ****...letting our athletes do the work...would we be better or worse?

Excuse brigade? Dafug? We're quoting facts in this thread. Miami has the 3rd best passing efficiency defense in the country. That's the most important defensive stat by a mile. This is how you compete for titles.

I think our old randy Shannon defense would have led to just about the same results as we're seeing now.

Do we have a personnel issue or a coaching issue? I don't see us getting beat in 1-on-1 match-ups or being "out-athleted" in the secondary or on the D-line very often, if ever. We seem to have better athletes than every offense we face. When offense succeed against us it's usually due to fundamental issues. That's something that really irks me. I don't get upset if a WR beats one of our CB's over the top or a stud RB shakes one of our LB's. I get ****ed when I see us leaving guys wide open or taking awful run fits. Those are mental issues.

I propose a question.

Excuse brigade? Dafug? We're quoting facts in this thread. Miami has the 3rd best passing efficiency defense in the country. That's the most important defensive stat by a mile. This is how you compete for titles.

I think our old randy Shannon defense would have led to just about the same results as we're seeing now.

Facts. Excuses. Explanations. Don't give a **** what your pu$$y a$$ calls them.

I need that ammo for my Friday nights. (or Saturday mornings rather)

Lets see:

UNC t.o.p vs Miami = 32min 51secs.
UNC Plays vs Miami = 92 total plays - 46 rushing for 176 yards (3.8ypr) and 46 passing for 252 yards (5.5 ypa).

UNC top vs VTech = 30min 15secs.
UNC Plays vs VTech = 64 total plays (28 less than vs Miami) - 42 rushing for 54 yards (1.3ypr) and 22 passing for 118 yards (5.4ypa).

UNC top vs UVA = 20min 2secs.
UNC Plays vs UVA = 53 total plays (39 less than vs Miami) - 35 rushing for 211 yards (6.0ypr) and 18 passing for 46 yards (2.6ypa).

UNC top vs ND = 23min 28secs.
UNC plays vs ND = 70 total plays (22 less than vs Miami) - 28 rushing for 86 yards (3.1ypr) and 42 passing for 179 yards (4.3ypa).

UNC top vs GTech = 21min 25secs.
UNC Plays vs GTech = 58 total plays (34 less than vs Miami) - 26 rushing for 106 yards (4.1ypr) and 32 passing for 141 yards (4.4ypa).

UNC top vs Duke = 26min 24secs.
UNC Plays vs Duke = 65 total plays (27 less than vs Miami) - 33 rushing for 118 yards (3.6ypr) and 32 passing for 259 yards (8.1ypa).

UNC top vs UL = 24min 4secs.
UNC Plays vs UL = 61 total plays (31 less than vs Miami) - 23 rushing for 17 yards (0.7ypr lol) and 38 passing for 384 yards (10.1ypa).

UNC ran AT LEAST 22 more plays on us than every other ACC (and ND) team they've played. They have had the most rushing attempts AND passing attemps against us. That is 100% the fault of our offense. UNC isn't Syracuse where they are literally trying to run 100 plays per game, but our Offense was so ******* bad at staying on the field that last week Syracuse only ran ONE more ******* play than UNC did! That is absolutely crazy. And we're basically the only team that hasn't dominated TOP vs UNC. Also, I didn't write the stat above, but UNC ran 19 more plays than we did, every other game UNC has played, UNC has run less plays than their opponents. VTech is the closest at 9 more plays than UNC. Next closest is Duke who ran 14 more, ND and GTech both ran 18 more, and the rest ran over 20 more plays as UNC. So Our offense seriously ****ed our defense over hard this game.

Now obviously we didn't play great on defense vs UNC. But we definitely did not play terrible; we played pretty average imo. 24 of UNC's runs were ******* Qb scrambles/draws. Like seriously defensively if we can just ******* keep contain, clean up tackling a little bit, and get all those bumm *** backups like Knowles off the field, we'll be great. With back to back 90 snap games, at least our defense will be conditioned and ready to face pretty good VTech and ND teams.

Since this is now breaking off into multiple threads. I'm going to begin the conversation here as to something specific:

Is there one "best way" to measure an effective defense?

To me, it's the one that gives the team, taking the offense into consideration, the best chance to win. So, how do we break that into numbers? Here's my view and then some of you guys can continue to argue about how we have a "bad" defense.

1. Scoring defense
- This is really what matters
2. Yards per play - Yards are important, sure, but we need context as to how many plays are being run.

3. Turnovers - Do they openly contribute to our field position and our ability to put points on the board?
4. 3rd down percentage - Can you get off the field to give your offense more advantages?

On #1 above, we are #23 in the country. This isn't an incredible statistic, but it surely isn't "bad" or "average." We are what we are so far: above average.

On #2 above, we are #16 in the country. Even today, where we allowed what seemed like a million yards to a bad team, we allowed about 4.6 yards per play on 93 plays. This was approximately 24 more plays than what UNC has averaged on the season.

To me, the two above are by far the most relevant defensive measures of success.
On #3 above, after this week, we'll probably be around #35 or better. This is a bit of a fickle statistic, but important in terms of what the defense can produce.

On #4 above, we need to get much better. We're in the bottom half of the NCAA. Although in ACC play, we're somehow far better. Today, we were at 33%.

Have at it. We're not nearly as bad as some have described. We need some work. No doubt. We miss tackles. We sometimes over-blitz. We sometimes get caught on blitzes with no chance of getting home. We take some poor angles. Yet, we still have held it together so far this season. What will occur going forward I have no idea. But, I wanted to make this post for some of the debates on the defense being "bad" and even "historically bad."

If you want weird defensive statistics, take a look at Pittsburgh Sunday night. Gave up 411 yards passing but only 5 field goals.

Advertisement

I propose a question.

I believe Randy Shannons basic 4-3 defense would field atleast a top 20 defense with coach Kool and coach Rumph as his assistants and the current talent. He fielded higher ranked UM defenses with less talent.

Lets see:

UNC Plays vs Miami = 92 total plays - 46 rushing for 176 yards (3.8ypr) and 46 passing for 252 yards (5.5 ypa).

UNC Plays vs VTech = 64 total plays (28 less than vs Miami) - 42 rushing for 54 yards (1.3ypr) and 22 passing for 118 yards (5.4ypa).

UNC Plays vs UVA = 53 total plays (39 less than vs Miami) - 35 rushing for 211 yards (6.0ypr) and 18 passing for 46 yards (2.6ypa).

UNC plays vs ND = 70 total plays (22 less than vs Miami) - 28 rushing for 86 yards (3.1ypr) and 42 passing for 179 yards (4.3ypa).

UNC Plays vs GTech = 58 total plays (34 less than vs Miami) - 26 rushing for 106 yards (4.1ypr) and 32 passing for 141 yards (4.4ypa).

UNC Plays vs Duke = 65 total plays (27 less than vs Miami) - 33 rushing for 118 yards (3.6ypr) and 32 passing for 259 yards (8.1ypa).

UNC Plays vs UL = 61 total plays (31 less than vs Miami) - 23 rushing for 17 yards (0.7ypr lol) and 38 passing for 384 yards (10.1ypa).

UNC ran AT LEAST 22 more plays on us than every other ACC (and ND) team they've played. They have had the most rushing attempts AND passing attemps against us. That is 100% the fault of our offense. UNC isn't Syracuse where they are literally trying to run 100 plays per game, but our Offense was so ******* bad at staying on the field that last week Syracuse only ran ONE more ******* play than UNC did! That is absolutely crazy. And we're basically the only team that hasn't dominated TOP vs UNC. Also, I didn't write the stat above, but UNC ran 19 more plays than we did, every other game UNC has played, UNC has run less plays than their opponents. VTech is the closest at 9 more plays than UNC. Next closest is Duke who ran 14 more, ND and GTech both ran 18 more, and the rest ran over 20 more plays as UNC. So Our offense seriously ****ed our defense over hard this game.

Now obviously we didn't play great on defense vs UNC. But we definitely did not play terrible; we played pretty average imo. 24 of UNC's runs were ******* Qb scrambles/draws. Like seriously defensively if we can just ******* keep contain, clean up tackling a little bit, and get all those bumm *** backups like Knowles off the field, we'll be great. With back to back 90 snap games, at least our defense will be conditioned and ready to face pretty good VTech and ND teams.

You know how you cut down on the amount of plays that a horrible offense like UNC runs against you? Don't give up 27 first downs. That's how.

You guys are so bent on proving agendas through twisting stats that you lose track of what actually happened and who we actually played. UNC IS A HORRIFIC OFFENSE. THEY HUNG 27 FIRST DOWNS ON US. That's not our offense's fault. Our offense was putrid, and that's on them. The defense wasn't much better considering the garbage they were playing against.

Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense.

We should have throttled UNC's offense no matter what our offense did in that game. They were gashing us early in the game. How does that have anything to do with our TOP or being "tired?"

Let's just face it, this team is just okay. We will probably get what's coming to us the next two weeks. Saturday's performance was an absolute joke, all 3 phases were **** and it's frustrating to watch, but it is what it is.

To take it a little farther with actual numbers, here is what some other teams have held UNC to this year:

VT--172 yards and 11 first downs
UVA--257 yards and 12 first downs
Notre Dame--265 yards and 13 first downs
GT--247 yards and 11 first downs
Duke--377 and 15 first downs

Then, against us, they went for 428 yards and a whopping 27 first downs. That's pretty awful when viewed in the context of what they've done against their other opponents. That's a ton of resets to 1st down when you give up 27 first downs.
I genuinely do appreciate you decided to play contrarian on this one, because it made me look up more context and further supported my point. Here is the answer to your stats above. I'll repeat I'm not saying the defense is elite. I'm saying the defense isn't bad and also that your points, so far, aren't supported:

You said: VT--172 yards and 11 first downs
VT offense produced 181 rushing yards, 21 first downs, 4 total non-TD drives of 4 plays or less

You said: UVA--257 yards and 12 first downs
UVA offense produced 151 rushing yards, 23 first downs, 4 total non-TD drives of 4 plays or less

You said: Notre Dame--265 yards and 13 first downs
ND offense produced 341 rushing yards, 27 first downs, 4 total non-TD drives of 4 plays or less (2 caused by Turnover), their offense basically crushed UNC with control

You said: GT--247 yards and 11 first downs
GT offense produced 403 rushing yards, 22 first downs, 4 total non-TD drives of 4 plays or less (1 caused by Turnover), their offense basically crushed UNC with control

You said: Duke--377 and 15 first downs
Duke offense produced 186 rushing yards, 20 first downs, 3 total non-TD drives of 4 plays or less

Yesterday, we had 59 rushing yards, 16 first downs, and 8 total non-TD drives of 4 plays or less.

I have no agenda other than to try to find out the "why" through some objective measures - whether watching the plays or the data. My position is the defense has failed to meet fairly lofty expectations, but are performing decently well according to the numbers comparable to opponents within proper context. If you want to attack that position, we can continue to look stuff up.

I agree with you completely.

This defense would probably have elite or near elite numbers if the offense could sustain longer drives and score points. For one it keeps them off the field, so fewer plays are run and they are more rested. Two, opposing teams hanging round keeps them in the game physically and mentally. If we could've put our foot on their throats when we had the chance and put the game out of reach early 3rd quarter we force them become more one dimensional and play with more risk.

Advertisement
The agenda on this board is to blame the offense at all cost, not saying that applies to everyone but it's just strange how ppl act like it's the offenses fault that our defense gave up 27 first downs to UNC??

So when we score fast from an explosive play like the TD to Jeff Thomas is that the offenses fault bc the defense has to go right back out there to do their jobs against a depleted UNC offense??

The agenda on this board is to blame the offense at all cost, not saying that applies to everyone but it's just strange how ppl act like it's the offenses fault that our defense gave up 27 first downs to UNC??

So when we score fast from an explosive play like the TD to Jeff Thomas is that the offenses fault bc the defense has to go right back out there to do their jobs against a depleted UNC offense??
This thread was not created to blame the offense "at all costs." The day it was created there were multiple threads going about how our defense is "historically bad." Not just bad. Bad in the context of our program's history. It wasn't just one poster sharing this opinion, either.

This thread was created to unify those discussions and debate it based on numbers within context. I think those theories have been debunked and some of us have shown that, while we're not elite, we've actually been above average for the year.

I haven't heard any reasonable poster complain about explosive plays that get us points.

Advertisement
We had 19 takeaways last season, and 16 this season...has to be the TO chain.

Lets see:

You know how you cut down on the amount of plays that a horrible offense like UNC runs against you? Don't give up 27 first downs. That's how.

You guys are so bent on proving agendas through twisting stats that you lose track of what actually happened and who we actually played. UNC IS A HORRIFIC OFFENSE. THEY HUNG 27 FIRST DOWNS ON US. That's not our offense's fault. Our offense was putrid, and that's on them. The defense wasn't much better considering the garbage they were playing against.

Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense.

We should have throttled UNC's offense no matter what our offense did in that game. They were gashing us early in the game. How does that have anything to do with our TOP or being "tired?"

"Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense. "
Dude, Syracuse ran only one more offensive play than UNC did. And they got majority of their yards the same way UNC did, QB Runs/scrambles.

And yeah UNC had a couple good offensive drives early. And we held them to 6pts in the first half. So, Like you said our defense didn't play good. I know we played ******, but the difference is your saying us playing ****** (to us) makes us a terrible defense, and I'm saying us playing ****** makes us an average defense. In our worst game we are still getting pretty normal results vs UNC. At the end of the day we held the offense to 3.8yrds per rush and 5.5yrda per pass, created 4 turnovers, and our offense played worse than dog****....thats pretty ******* solid, especially when you're considering all Miami fans can objectively say we played like ****.

Advertisement
Lets see:

"Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense. "
Dude, Syracuse ran only one more offensive play than UNC did. And they got majority of their yards the same way UNC did, QB Runs/scrambles.

And yeah UNC had a couple good offensive drives early. And we held them to 6pts in the first half. So, Like you said our defense didn't play good. I know we played ******, but the difference is your saying us playing ****** (to us) makes us a terrible defense, and I'm saying us playing ****** makes us an average defense. In our worst game we are still getting pretty normal results vs UNC. At the end of the day we held the offense to 3.8yrds per rush and 5.5yrda per pass, created 4 turnovers, and our offense played worse than dog****....thats pretty ******* solid, especially when you're considering all Miami fans can objectively say we played like ****.

Do you understand the point? Get your head out of the stats, and watch some football.

Syracuse is a FAR superior offense to UNC this year. So for us to give up some plays to them was acceptable. They played at a much faster pace too.

We gave up so many plays to UNC because we didn't play well. We gave up almost 3 times as many first downs to them than VT did. Look at the list I provided. You want to put that on our offense? LULZ.

We played poorly when viewed in CONTEXT. The CONTEXT here is that UNC is a HORRIBLE OFFENSE this year. No way a horrible offense should keep you on the field so much. And no way you should give up 27 first downs to them.

We were OK against them on 3rd down, but there are 3 other downs to worry about. The game isn't only played on 3rd down.

There isn't a rational fan around that didn't expect our defense to lead the way for this team, this year. IMO the offense was always going to be a crap shoot this year because the Quarterback was unknown. This is why the defense has been infuriating. Yes, the defense will make big splash plays but turns right around and gets gashed the next drive. We have way too many Highly touted athletes on defense that have played a lot football to have this many busts per game on defense. This defense better step the **** up this weekend because our offense is a crap shoot again this weekend

Lets see:

Do you understand the point? Get your head out of the stats, and watch some football.

Syracuse is a FAR superior offense to UNC this year. So for us to give up some plays to them was acceptable. They played at a much faster pace too.

We gave up so many plays to UNC because we didn't play well. We gave up almost 3 times as many first downs to them than VT did. Look at the list I provided. You want to put that on our offense? LULZ.

We played poorly when viewed in CONTEXT. The CONTEXT here is that UNC is a HORRIBLE OFFENSE this year. No way a horrible offense should keep you on the field so much. And no way you should give up 27 first downs to them.

We were OK against them on 3rd down, but there are 3 other downs to worry about. The game isn't only played on 3rd down.

I've seen every game we've played at least twice. So I completely understand how good/bad we have played.
For the most part we played like **** against UNC on offense and defense. But Us playing like ****, is pretty average. Thats just the facts man. Theres not real much else to it but that.
The other fact is our offense played horrifically, and it really hurt the defense which is pretty obvious. And the reason I showed the amount of plays ran against our defense was to show you just how much our offense hurt our defense. Every other team UNC has played, UNC has run at least 22 less plays on and got dominated in TOP. That significantly increases the opportunities our defense has to fail.

29% of UNC's plays vs us went for a 1st down. vs Duke it was 27%, vs FSU it was 31%, vs GTech it was 26%, vs Syracuse it was 25%, vs Bethune it was 28%, vs Toledo it was 27%. So UNC didn't even really get more first downs as a % of Plays as we normally give up. That is most likely a factor of how aggressive we play - We likely give up a lot of first downs, but create many more negative plays than most teams do.

Defense has regressed a lot. Defense was 20th last year and 52nd right now. Rush defense was 26th last year and is 83rd this year. Pass defense is up from 47 to 36.

Advertisement
Back