The Defensive Stats I think matter most

I wish the excuse brigade would sit in our stands on Friday nights. I need you guys on my team.

All jokes aside, valid points made by both parties. At the end of the day, you don't need stats to see that this defense needs work.

The question we should all ponder is...
Do we have a personnel issue or a coaching issue? I don't see us getting beat in 1-on-1 match-ups or being "out-athleted" in the secondary or on the D-line very often, if ever. We seem to have better athletes than every offense we face. When offenses succeed against us it's usually due to fundamental issues. That's something that really irks me. I don't get upset if a WR beats one of our CB's over the top or a stud RB shakes one of our LB's. I get ****ed when I see us leaving guys wide open or taking awful run fits. Those are mental issues.

How do we fix our issues going forward? Is signing better players really gonna make us that much better? Where's our ceiling?
Do we still have a talent deficiency?

If we played defense like we did back in the day and just lined-up in a basic 4-3 with Quarters and man coverage...basic ****...letting our athletes do the work...would we be better or worse?

Who knows? I will say this. I don't think everybody truly appreciates how good our secondary was in run support last year and how well they tackled and were almost always in the right position. In total tackles, Carter was #1 , Jenkins and Elder were tied at #3 . Normally, when you have both safeties at the top or certainly in the top 4 it usually means you are getting run over. We were #26 in the country in run defense.

Advertisement
Defense has regressed a lot. Defense was 20th last year and 52nd right now. Rush defense was 26th last year and is 83rd this year. Pass defense is up from 47 to 36.

Dumb. Yards per play is a far better measurement than total defense. Yards per rush is a far better measurement than total rushing. Passing efficiency defense is the single must important stat outside of points allowed.

Every recent champion has finished in the top 13 in pass efficiency defense. If you're one of top 13, you are 10x as likely as the average team to win the title. That's huge.

a66253177017231e0cc3e03c3b8c101a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets see:

UNC t.o.p vs Miami = 32min 51secs.
UNC Plays vs Miami = 92 total plays - 46 rushing for 176 yards (3.8ypr) and 46 passing for 252 yards (5.5 ypa).

UNC top vs VTech = 30min 15secs.
UNC Plays vs VTech = 64 total plays (28 less than vs Miami) - 42 rushing for 54 yards (1.3ypr) and 22 passing for 118 yards (5.4ypa).

UNC top vs UVA = 20min 2secs.
UNC Plays vs UVA = 53 total plays (39 less than vs Miami) - 35 rushing for 211 yards (6.0ypr) and 18 passing for 46 yards (2.6ypa).

UNC top vs ND = 23min 28secs.
UNC plays vs ND = 70 total plays (22 less than vs Miami) - 28 rushing for 86 yards (3.1ypr) and 42 passing for 179 yards (4.3ypa).

UNC top vs GTech = 21min 25secs.
UNC Plays vs GTech = 58 total plays (34 less than vs Miami) - 26 rushing for 106 yards (4.1ypr) and 32 passing for 141 yards (4.4ypa).

UNC top vs Duke = 26min 24secs.
UNC Plays vs Duke = 65 total plays (27 less than vs Miami) - 33 rushing for 118 yards (3.6ypr) and 32 passing for 259 yards (8.1ypa).

UNC top vs UL = 24min 4secs.
UNC Plays vs UL = 61 total plays (31 less than vs Miami) - 23 rushing for 17 yards (0.7ypr lol) and 38 passing for 384 yards (10.1ypa).

UNC ran AT LEAST 22 more plays on us than every other ACC (and ND) team they've played. They have had the most rushing attempts AND passing attemps against us. That is 100% the fault of our offense. UNC isn't Syracuse where they are literally trying to run 100 plays per game, but our Offense was so ****ing bad at staying on the field that last week Syracuse only ran ONE more ****ing play than UNC did! That is absolutely crazy. And we're basically the only team that hasn't dominated TOP vs UNC. Also, I didn't write the stat above, but UNC ran 19 more plays than we did, every other game UNC has played, UNC has run less plays than their opponents. VTech is the closest at 9 more plays than UNC. Next closest is Duke who ran 14 more, ND and GTech both ran 18 more, and the rest ran over 20 more plays as UNC. So Our offense seriously ****ed our defense over hard this game.

Now obviously we didn't play great on defense vs UNC. But we definitely did not play terrible; we played pretty average imo. 24 of UNC's runs were ****ing Qb scrambles/draws. Like seriously defensively if we can just ****ing keep contain, clean up tackling a little bit, and get all those bumm *** backups like Knowles off the field, we'll be great. With back to back 90 snap games, at least our defense will be conditioned and ready to face pretty good VTech and ND teams.

You know how you cut down on the amount of plays that a horrible offense like UNC runs against you? Don't give up 27 first downs. That's how.

You guys are so bent on proving agendas through twisting stats that you lose track of what actually happened and who we actually played. UNC IS A HORRIFIC OFFENSE. THEY HUNG 27 FIRST DOWNS ON US. That's not our offense's fault. Our offense was putrid, and that's on them. The defense wasn't much better considering the garbage they were playing against.

Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense.

We should have throttled UNC's offense no matter what our offense did in that game. They were gashing us early in the game. How does that have anything to do with our TOP or being "tired?"

"Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense. "
Dude, Syracuse ran only one more offensive play than UNC did. And they got majority of their yards the same way UNC did, QB Runs/scrambles.

And yeah UNC had a couple good offensive drives early. And we held them to 6pts in the first half. So, Like you said our defense didn't play good. I know we played ****ty, but the difference is your saying us playing ****ty (to us) makes us a terrible defense, and I'm saying us playing ****ty makes us an average defense. In our worst game we are still getting pretty normal results vs UNC. At the end of the day we held the offense to 3.8yrds per rush and 5.5yrda per pass, created 4 turnovers, and our offense played worse than dog****....thats pretty ****ing solid, especially when you're considering all Miami fans can objectively say we played like ****.

Do you understand the point? Get your head out of the stats, and watch some football.

Syracuse is a FAR superior offense to UNC this year. So for us to give up some plays to them was acceptable. They played at a much faster pace too.

We gave up so many plays to UNC because we didn't play well. We gave up almost 3 times as many first downs to them than VT did. Look at the list I provided. You want to put that on our offense? LULZ.

We played poorly when viewed in CONTEXT. The CONTEXT here is that UNC is a HORRIBLE OFFENSE this year. No way a horrible offense should keep you on the field so much. And no way you should give up 27 first downs to them.

We were OK against them on 3rd down, but there are 3 other downs to worry about. The game isn't only played on 3rd down.

It's mind boggling that people are actually citing the offense as the reason the defense gave up so many first downs against a terrible team.

The defense was on the field so long against UNC because it couldn't get off the field. Period. No other excuse. That should be troubling.

Advertisement
Lets see:

UNC t.o.p vs Miami = 32min 51secs.
UNC Plays vs Miami = 92 total plays - 46 rushing for 176 yards (3.8ypr) and 46 passing for 252 yards (5.5 ypa).

UNC top vs VTech = 30min 15secs.
UNC Plays vs VTech = 64 total plays (28 less than vs Miami) - 42 rushing for 54 yards (1.3ypr) and 22 passing for 118 yards (5.4ypa).

UNC top vs UVA = 20min 2secs.
UNC Plays vs UVA = 53 total plays (39 less than vs Miami) - 35 rushing for 211 yards (6.0ypr) and 18 passing for 46 yards (2.6ypa).

UNC top vs ND = 23min 28secs.
UNC plays vs ND = 70 total plays (22 less than vs Miami) - 28 rushing for 86 yards (3.1ypr) and 42 passing for 179 yards (4.3ypa).

UNC top vs GTech = 21min 25secs.
UNC Plays vs GTech = 58 total plays (34 less than vs Miami) - 26 rushing for 106 yards (4.1ypr) and 32 passing for 141 yards (4.4ypa).

UNC top vs Duke = 26min 24secs.
UNC Plays vs Duke = 65 total plays (27 less than vs Miami) - 33 rushing for 118 yards (3.6ypr) and 32 passing for 259 yards (8.1ypa).

UNC top vs UL = 24min 4secs.
UNC Plays vs UL = 61 total plays (31 less than vs Miami) - 23 rushing for 17 yards (0.7ypr lol) and 38 passing for 384 yards (10.1ypa).

UNC ran AT LEAST 22 more plays on us than every other ACC (and ND) team they've played. They have had the most rushing attempts AND passing attemps against us. That is 100% the fault of our offense. UNC isn't Syracuse where they are literally trying to run 100 plays per game, but our Offense was so ****ing bad at staying on the field that last week Syracuse only ran ONE more ****ing play than UNC did! That is absolutely crazy. And we're basically the only team that hasn't dominated TOP vs UNC. Also, I didn't write the stat above, but UNC ran 19 more plays than we did, every other game UNC has played, UNC has run less plays than their opponents. VTech is the closest at 9 more plays than UNC. Next closest is Duke who ran 14 more, ND and GTech both ran 18 more, and the rest ran over 20 more plays as UNC. So Our offense seriously ****ed our defense over hard this game.

Now obviously we didn't play great on defense vs UNC. But we definitely did not play terrible; we played pretty average imo. 24 of UNC's runs were ****ing Qb scrambles/draws. Like seriously defensively if we can just ****ing keep contain, clean up tackling a little bit, and get all those bumm *** backups like Knowles off the field, we'll be great. With back to back 90 snap games, at least our defense will be conditioned and ready to face pretty good VTech and ND teams.

You know how you cut down on the amount of plays that a horrible offense like UNC runs against you? Don't give up 27 first downs. That's how.

You guys are so bent on proving agendas through twisting stats that you lose track of what actually happened and who we actually played. UNC IS A HORRIFIC OFFENSE. THEY HUNG 27 FIRST DOWNS ON US. That's not our offense's fault. Our offense was putrid, and that's on them. The defense wasn't much better considering the garbage they were playing against.

Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense.

We should have throttled UNC's offense no matter what our offense did in that game. They were gashing us early in the game. How does that have anything to do with our TOP or being "tired?"

"Giving up chunks to Syracuse and using the "tired" excuse is acceptable. That's a good, high-octane offense. "
Dude, Syracuse ran only one more offensive play than UNC did. And they got majority of their yards the same way UNC did, QB Runs/scrambles.

And yeah UNC had a couple good offensive drives early. And we held them to 6pts in the first half. So, Like you said our defense didn't play good. I know we played ****ty, but the difference is your saying us playing ****ty (to us) makes us a terrible defense, and I'm saying us playing ****ty makes us an average defense. In our worst game we are still getting pretty normal results vs UNC. At the end of the day we held the offense to 3.8yrds per rush and 5.5yrda per pass, created 4 turnovers, and our offense played worse than dog****....thats pretty ****ing solid, especially when you're considering all Miami fans can objectively say we played like ****.

Do you understand the point? Get your head out of the stats, and watch some football.

Syracuse is a FAR superior offense to UNC this year. So for us to give up some plays to them was acceptable. They played at a much faster pace too.

We gave up so many plays to UNC because we didn't play well. We gave up almost 3 times as many first downs to them than VT did. Look at the list I provided. You want to put that on our offense? LULZ.

We played poorly when viewed in CONTEXT. The CONTEXT here is that UNC is a HORRIBLE OFFENSE this year. No way a horrible offense should keep you on the field so much. And no way you should give up 27 first downs to them.

We were OK against them on 3rd down, but there are 3 other downs to worry about. The game isn't only played on 3rd down.

It's mind boggling that people are actually citing the offense as the reason the defense gave up so many first downs against a terrible team.

The defense was on the field so long against UNC because it couldn't get off the field. Period. No other excuse. That should be troubling.

no one said it was the sole reason.
I've been saying our offense is ******* over our defense and it is undeniably the truth.

I also said we played like **** against UNC.

Mind boggling? What most people are saying is it's one of the reasons the defense played so many plays was due to the other side of the ball. UNC snapped 24 more plays than they usually average. We already showed that, looking at their other opponents, our offense had 8 short non-TD drives versus an average of just less than 4 for the other teams. Additionally, we produced about 1/3 of the rushing yards.

Anyone who watched the game knows the defense didn't play its best, but it's extreme to say all of these contributing factors are irrelevant and expect the defense to be at the level they can just completely shut down 93 plays. We're just not at that level of elite on defense yet.

Last edited:
it is infuriating that the long run plays are happening on stupid holes not being filled

you guys know who made the tackle on the 56 yard run by UNC last week in the first quarter? freaking RJ McIntosh

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back