The defense regressed badly since Al Golden’s Recruits Left

Because Al Golden knew in order for his lame scheme to ever work, he needed to land top talent. He died on that hill.

Advertisement
Larry Hope, Danny Dillard, Nate Dortch, D'Mauri Jones, Jontavious Carter, Jelani Hamilton, Vernon Davis, Jake O'Donnell, Grey Crow, Loftus, Mahoney, Fines....

Golden might have been marginally better at evals. He wasn't good at them. He certainly didn't excel at them. He took too many kids who everyone who knew HS football in their area, basically knew weren't good.

I can’t believe people still find a way to praise that man for mediocrity. Thank you

his down fall wasn't apparently recruiting, talent evals, or developing. Sticking with his friend at all costs was his down fall. That team he assembled Richt had at one point in the top 5 until the wheels fell off. And he went on to land an NFL job as an asst. coach which is more than I can say for his buddy.

But no, I am not longing for those days. I am just playing what ifs.
[/QUOTE]

Golden was horrible in assessing talent. Sure he hit a few players but he missed a lot plus underachieved.

the revisionist history here is mind-boggling. golden was a used car salesman that somehow got a few head coaching gigs and lucked into the shapiro scandal extending his stay here.

Exactly! He was horrible. And most of his play makers either committed to the previous staff or played better under Manny. Dude hustled UM into 2 contracts. People still believed we were going to get the “death penalty.” That lied and had our players put on unnecessary weight.

Advertisement
Golden and Co did a **** job of evaluating talent too. There were plenty of head scratchers.
They're biggest issue schematically was the 3-4 two-gapping stuff.
Now we're the complete opposite, no gap integrity at all.
I know it’s only been 1 game, but I thought Simpson would bring back the gap integrity

All the players you mentioned in the OP were either signed by Richt and/or had their best seasons under Manny’s system. Redwine, Corn, Carter, Rayshawn, Jaquan, and Trent were not drafted and have careers in NFL because of Golden or No’D. They were drafted and have NFL careers because they have talent and because of Manny’s system the first two years as our defensive coordinator.

Advertisement
If he replaces Donuts with an aggressive DC and gives Fisch a raise, he is right up there with Jimbo’s Noles. It’s truly a **** shame.
Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Why are people saying Manny’s scheme is solid? If anything is the problem it is that his scheme is trash. No edge setting, undisguised blitzing, corners playing 10 yards back in soft zones.
Fundamentally he’s pretty awful as well. That has more to do with his lack of tackling emphasis in practice.

I can’t believe the words I’m about to say, but the defense has regressed badly since Al Goldens recruits left the program. Al Goldens recruits played in a terrible scheme, but they were better tacklers, more disciplined on the field (setting the edge, etc) and were better overall than Manny recruits. Manny’s first two years were all Al Golden recruits and the defense looked better. You had guys like:

Joe Jackson
Kendrick Norton
Chad Thomas
RayShawn Jenkins
Redwine
Michael Jacksin
Jaquon Johnson
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Shaq
Michael Pinckney
Gerard Willis
Courtel Jenkins
Trent Harris

These players weren’t with manny long enough to develop bad habits, and as soon as Goldens vet players left the program the defense took a big dip. And if you notice, the longer Manny coaches these players the worse they become.

It’s night and day between Al Golden defensive recruits and Manny’s.
The defense hasn’t regressed, it’s a better D. But the talent level has fallen.

Advertisement
What are you talking about? Shaq and pick didn’t play a single snap under golden. Jaquan and redwine played 1 year under golden and 3 years under manny. You’re going to try telling me jaquan and redwine regressed under manny? Same with Mike Jack? Joe Jackson played all 3 years under manny. Harris played 2 under each and had his 2 best years under manny?

go look back on all the reaches or misses golden had.
They were recruited by Al is the point.

his down fall wasn't apparently recruiting, talent evals, or developing. Sticking with his friend at all costs was his down fall. That team he assembled Richt had at one point in the top 5 until the wheels fell off. And he went on to land an NFL job as an asst. coach which is more than I can say for his buddy.

But no, I am not longing for those days. I am just playing what ifs.

That team would’ve made the playoffs if richt didn’t run kaaya off in exchange for rosier. Kaaya would’ve best Pitt, ending the regular season undefeated.

Advertisement
What are you talking about? Shaq and pick didn’t play a single snap under golden. Jaquan and redwine played 1 year under golden and 3 years under manny. You’re going to try telling me jaquan and redwine regressed under manny? Same with Mike Jack? Joe Jackson played all 3 years under manny. Harris played 2 under each and had his 2 best years under manny?

go look back on all the reaches or misses golden had.
I think his scheme made a lot of players jags but it appears he was a better talent evaluator than manny
And golden at least took jags in every position every year so we never had massive depth chart holes like manny

Advertisement
Back