The defense regressed badly since Al Golden’s Recruits Left

A unanimous ACC coach said Manny was "gimmicky" and acts like the smartest guy in the room...and some of yall got in your feelings.

Well...

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Advertisement
What about the constant quarterback looking around in confusion as the clock winds down, and then getting a delay of game penalty or Golden having to call timeout. And then have it happen again on the very next play!
Good times.

“Al Golden would still be here if he hired a real DC with an aggressive scheme”

“Manny should let’s someone else run the defense”

“Manny should take over the defense”

“Manny should hire a DC who runs a real 4-3/4-2-5”

Is anyone else getting dejavu. Coordinators don’t save jobs. They just prolong them. Now they can certainly get someone fired that’s for sure.

h

I have said this before .golden was his own worst enemy.
Golden rightfully gets crushed for a lot of things, like his loyalty to Dino - but he was able to spot some good diamonds in the rough.

People just gloss over "the cloud" now - but that was a huge hurdle at the time to overcome. He had the hardest circumstances to recruit under of any coach in the last 20 years.

But while he got a good amount of good players - he couldn't land enough of the big fish. When he did - guys like Chad Thomas & Tracy Howard - they just turned out to be not that good.

“Al Golden would still be here if he hired a real DC with an aggressive scheme”

“Manny should let’s someone else run the defense”

“Manny should take over the defense”

“Manny should hire a DC who runs a real 4-3/4-2-5”

Is anyone else getting dejavu. Coordinators don’t save jobs. They just prolong them. Now they can certainly get someone fired that’s for sure.
It's not the coordinators - it's the talent level.

Manny's job won't be saved by coordinators or scheme - it'll be because players like Leonard Taylor, James Williams, Jake Garcia, etc end up being the real deal.

Advertisement
A unanimous ACC coach said Manny was "gimmicky" and acts like the smartest guy in the room...and some of yall got in your feelings.

Well...

Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Cutcliffe was righ since then.

Ive known it for atleast 3 years...just check the game day boards.

Schematically there are plays that I know just based off of alignment its easy money for 5+ yards on Mannys d. Hence what UNC did wasnt actualy surprising to me...it was finally an oc that didnt try to get to cute and just abused it.

**** Bama couldve hit the slot...all game for 5+ yards if they wanted based off of alignment.

I was at the game and right away i stated to the folks around me the te would be an issue as well. they had no clue how to line up to him as a wing or when they moved him around, They had the NUMBERS so much times...smh.

His d is predicated on tfl's and the offense making self inflicting mistakes. It works alot..but with a competent oc you tend to see it get exploited a bit

Golden recruited them
These players weren’t with manny long enough to develop bad habits, and as soon as Goldens vet players left the program the defense took a big dip. And if you notice, the longer Manny coaches these players the worse they become.
The majority of the guys listed spent at least half to the vast majority of their Miami career being coached/developed by Manny. Who regressed under manny?

Schematically there are plays that I know just based off of alignment its easy money for 5+ yards on Mannys d. Hence what UNC did wasnt actualy surprising to me...it was finally an oc that didnt try to get to cute and just abused it.

**** Bama couldve hit the slot...all game for 5+ yards if they wanted based off of alignment.

I was at the game and right away i stated to the folks around me the te would be an issue as well. they had no clue how to line up to him as a wing or when they moved him around, They had the NUMBERS so much times...smh.

His d is predicated on tfl's and the offense making self inflicting mistakes. It works alot..but with a competent oc you tend to see it get exploited a bit
I think the OL and QB has something to do with this, not "any competant OC"

I literally watched Even Neal pummel and wash half of the DL down and i also saw our players do some dumb **** like try a spin move that gave up the gap integrity.

However you're correct Manny's main philosophy is to get a team behind the sticks. Unfortunately we have not been able to get off the field on third down lately. last year it was a problem too.

As for the slot...gurvan needs to be on the bench as he plays deeper than a DNO CB from the player he is over. I mean he starts deep and gets NO DEPTH when he back peddles either.

Maybe it's how we define "gimmicky." I guess I think of it as "tricks."

That's the case with most schemes these days, though. I think the real issue for Manny's D isn't that it's "gimmicky." I think the issue is he often wants to do two things at once. The hedging is way more effective in the NFL where you can run more complex schemes, with better athletes, who have a lot of time and staff support to be fully prepared. He'll run a hyper-aggressive front with a soft coverage as a hedge. He'll run an overload blitz, but delay it 3 seconds. He'll run an aggressive coverage, as he did on that 94 yarder, but try to get home without any of the inside pressure. I don't know if I'd call that "gimmicky" at all.

It's just not aligned and I understand WHY he chooses to do it (or what I guess he theoretically wants), but I don't agree at all. In his best season as DC, I consistently said his defense benefitted from Willis' ability to **** **** up in the middle of the OL (and upfield). Manny had used that to simplify and blitz less gratuitously. He was "aligned" because he had a DL dude doing special things.

The other underlying issue I see is our preparation. If you only go by defensive blitzes, we see these are re-used and see them coming from 2 miles away. And, we're just random viewers. What's a professional staff gonna do with such predictability? Well, I guess we saw that on Saturday.

Advertisement
Seems like Manny recruits a bunch of mercenaries. I don't think the scheme is a problem at all, actually think Manny has one of the best defensive schemes. We don't seem to play together at times though.
Have you watched that scheme against the better teams(Wisc, Clem, NCst, Bama, UNC, OKst, etc)...gimmicky and unsustainable

Golden stunk. The idea people still think he could have been good without Dorito is close to impossible to process. It was Golden's D. His culture. His fail.
the revisionist history here is mind-boggling. golden was a used car salesman that somehow got a few head coaching gigs and lucked into the shapiro scandal extending his stay here.

Fight it all you want, but Al Golden recruited the majority of the best players we've had over the last 10 years. A lot of his players were drafted.

Advertisement

This is spot on. Manny just thinks teams will self destruct on his defense. Well guess what not anymore. We are always out numbered and lined up all wrong. It’s amazing more don’t see it. It’s so obvious.

Manny needs to stop being the smartest man in the room and let Simpson teach him a thing or two. He is arguably our best coach on staff by all accounts.

Manny is a poor talent evaluator. He’s been with the program 5+ years and there have been way too many holes on the defense, especially the linebackers. Dline recruiting was good.
His scheme isn’t very good. It’s been figured out and exposed. It works against inferior teams otherwise it’s stupid. This was discussed a few years ago but he tries to prevent the big play while also blitzing. His safeties drop back really deep which leaves the middle of the field open. He wants to attack up front while playing a dorito type bend don’t break on the back. It’s disjointed.

Advertisement
Golden was not the guy. He had a lot of head scratching recruiting evaluations, the schemes he implemented were total trash and the overall direction and philosophy was not right for Miami.

With all that being said, he was definitely a more polished head coach (actually had previous experience) than Manny Diaz. His recruiting was not up to snuff with what's required here to win but there is no question that it was better than what Manny Diaz has shown in 6 years here as both the head coach and defensive coordinator/CEO.

The overall premise of the OP is absolutely correct and that is sad. Manny's defenses were at its peak when the majority of the players getting snaps were recruited by Goldens staff.

Look at where we are at right now on defense. Manny Diaz has been here for 6 recruiting cycles and as a "defensive guru" these are the players he has right now lining up on Saturdays on defense. He has been here for 6 years recruiting.

The absolute biggest indictment on Manny is the state of the linebackers. Not only has Manny been here for 6 years as the overall leader/architect of the defense, but his specialization within defense is Linebacker. Its unbelievable that he has not been able to either recruit one blue chip talent at LB or develop a "diamond in the rough" into a playmaker at his position of expertise. That is the Manny Diaz era in a nutshell.

Find me one power 5 head coach in the last 20 years, good or bad, that hasn't recruited/developed at least ONE above average football player at their respective position of expertise, aside from QB which is the toughest position to evaluate. That is a staggering, unheard of scenario that we are witnessing right now. Its unprecedented.

This guy hasn't been able to find one linebacker in 6 years, you think he can turn around the entire roster? This is a wrap, it isn't happening with this guy.

his down fall wasn't apparently recruiting, talent evals, or developing. Sticking with his friend at all costs was his down fall. That team he assembled Richt had at one point in the top 5 until the wheels fell off. And he went on to land an NFL job as an asst. coach which is more than I can say for his buddy.

But no, I am not longing for those days. I am just playing what ifs.
If I'm playing 'what if', it has to do with a real AD and a BOT that cares about winning... with all sports.

Manny has coordinated the defense for 1 game with his recruits. And it was against a complete machine. I was very disappointed we couldn't make it a little more difficult last week, but this thread is pointless after 1 game.

If anything, his best year was 2018 when he had more of his (Richt's) recruits mixed with Golden's than 2016 or 2017.

If we can't stop anybody this year, we can have this discussion but it can't be had at least for a few more weeks.
This is not true. Manny recruited all the players we have on Defense since he was under Richt. Offense is different.

Advertisement
Back