The defense regressed badly since Al Golden’s Recruits Left

The Svengali

Sophomore
I can’t believe the words I’m about to say, but the defense has regressed badly since Al Goldens recruits left the program. Al Goldens recruits played in a terrible scheme, but they were better tacklers, more disciplined on the field (setting the edge, etc) and were better overall than Manny recruits. Manny’s first two years were all Al Golden recruits and the defense looked better. You had guys like:

Joe Jackson
Kendrick Norton
Chad Thomas
RayShawn Jenkins
Redwine
Michael Jacksin
Jaquon Johnson
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Shaq
Michael Pinckney
Gerard Willis
Courtel Jenkins
Trent Harris

These players weren’t with manny long enough to develop bad habits, and as soon as Goldens vet players left the program the defense took a big dip. And if you notice, the longer Manny coaches these players the worse they become.

It’s night and day between Al Golden defensive recruits and Manny’s.

Advertisement
Al Golden had some big misses but overall, I think he excelled at evaluating talent.
h
I can’t believe the words I’m about to say, but the defense has regressed badly since Al Goldens recruits left the program. Al Goldens recruits played in a terrible scheme, but they were better tacklers, more disciplined on the field (setting the edge, etc) and were better overall than Manny recruits. Manny’s first two years were all Al Golden recruits and the defense looked better. You had guys like:

Joe Jackson
Kendrick Norton
Chad Thomas
RayShawn Jenkins
Redwine
Michael Jacksin
Jaquon Johnson
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Shaq
Michael Pinckney
Gerard Willis
Courtel Jenkins
Trent Harris

These players weren’t with manny long enough to develop bad habits, and as soon as Goldens vet players left the program the defense took a big dip. And if you notice, the longer Manny coaches these players the worse they become.

I have said this before .golden was his own worst enemy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Seems like Manny recruits a bunch of mercenaries. I don't think the scheme is a problem at all, actually think Manny has one of the best defensive schemes. We don't seem to play together at times though.
Manny’s scheme is perfectly fine. He’s just not a good teacher or coach, that’s why things look disjointed. He’s knows what it’s supposed to look like and he can make things sound good, but he’s not nuanced or detailed enough, so things get overlooked or missed.

He’s more of a stats guy/analytics nerd than coach

Advertisement
Advertisement

Joe Jackson
Kendrick Norton
Chad Thomas
RayShawn Jenkins
Redwine
Michael Jacksin
Jaquon Johnson
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Shaq
Michael Pinckney
Gerard Willis
Courtel Jenkins
Trent Harris

What are you talking about? Shaq and pick didn’t play a single snap under golden. Jaquan and redwine played 1 year under golden and 3 years under manny. You’re going to try telling me jaquan and redwine regressed under manny? Same with Mike Jack? Joe Jackson played all 3 years under manny. Harris played 2 under each and had his 2 best years under manny?

go look back on all the reaches or misses golden had.

Joe Jackson
Kendrick Norton
Chad Thomas
RayShawn Jenkins
Redwine
Michael Jacksin
Jaquon Johnson
Corn Elder
Jamal Carter
Shaq
Michael Pinckney
Gerard Willis
Courtel Jenkins
Trent Harris

I will always believe that if Al had just fired his BFF and treated his staff hiring more professionally, he would have killed it here. He threw away his career for his BFF who threw off a vibe afterwards like he was held back by Al, in my opinion.

Canes can’t seem to catch a break.

Advertisement
Back