The Civil War on the team

Advertisement
It's hilarious to watch history repeat itself with this fanbase and program. I guess some of you haven't been around long enough? Or maybe you've convinced yourselves that THIS is the freshmen class that's different?

It's the same old story. It's become like groundhog day. It could be Spence, Forston, and that crew, or Chick, Tracy, and those guys, different names, same script.

1. New class comes in. Fans go crazy saying how these young guys want to win and are gonna change the culture of the program.
2. 4 years later. That group is now seniors.
3. Fans shlt all over them. Celebrate the new incoming class that they SWEAR is a group of winners here to cast off the lazy, entitled seniors.

Wash. Rinse. Go fvck yourself.

And lastly, fvck anyone talking shlt about the upperclassmen.

They've spent 4 years backpedaling, having practices cancelled, being coached by a coward, going to shlt bowl games, losing the Coastal -- they're beaten and broken. They've bought into this garbage and it has proven to be just like Golden - FAKE. They've had enough.

Just remember this in 3 years when you idiots are bashing Berrios and hyping up the new freshmen and their unique drive and determination to win. The cycle never ends.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying this class is bringing us back. Maybe I missed a post. Most people in this thread are saying that berrios can talk all the **** he wants because at least he is showing a desire to win.

I'm not blaming the upperclassmen. They have been coached by morons. But if you aren't trying anymore then sit your *** on the bench and let the younger guys play.

If artie burns was talking **** you would love it. But because berrios dropped 2 balls he is getting trashed. It honestly doesn't make any sense. Because so many hate golden they feel the need to hate on anything.

It's hilarious to watch history repeat itself with this fanbase and program. I guess some of you haven't been around long enough? Or maybe you've convinced yourselves that THIS is the freshmen class that's different?

It's the same old story. It's become like groundhog day. It could be Spence, Forston, and that crew, or Chick, Tracy, and those guys, different names, same script.

1. New class comes in. Fans go crazy saying how these young guys want to win and are gonna change the culture of the program.
3. Fans shlt all over them. Celebrate the new incoming class that they SWEAR is a group of winners here to cast off the lazy, entitled seniors.

They've spent 4 years backpedaling, having practices cancelled, being coached by a coward, going to shlt bowl games, losing the Coastal -- they're beaten and broken. They've bought into this garbage and it has proven to be just like Golden - FAKE. They've had enough.

Just remember this in 3 years when you idiots are bashing Berrios and hyping up the new freshmen and their unique drive and determination to win. The cycle never ends.

Awwwwwww...Poor upper-classmen, signed their LOI under false pretenses! All due respect, GTFOH with that. They KNEW what they signed up for. (Hyman Roth- "THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE'VE CHOSEN!!!) They failed! Did the coaching staff fail too? YES. But I am not going to sit here and throw a pity party for some of these players either. FOUR upperclassmen showed up those last 2 games when they could have made a statement and ended their careers on a solid note. FOUR! Walford, Denzel, Dorsett, Feliciano. Even Duke mailed it in.

In 1998, after we FAILED miserably and got our heads bashed in by Donovan McNabb and Syracuse, that team could have easily said F it. But they didn't, they went on to beat the #3 team UCLA at that time and won the bowl game. Finished the season! Even though there was nothing the play for! And don't give me that Butch crap either. It took those seniors and the leaders on that team to rally those boys.

There was no rallying cry after we lost to FSU. There was no fight. There was no passion. So you hate your coach? Fine. But ****, PLAY FOR EACH OTHER! Play for the guy next to you. F Golden and play for the seniors. Smh. I saw none of that. So yes, I will **** on some of these players. Thanks.

bringing out stats to support an argument when my eyes dont lie.

Sure, you posted the amount of plays or snaps the players got.

But when did herb get his snaps? when he was on special teams trying to block 250 pound behemoths at goldens request?

Or in garbage time in important games? Or did he play most of his snaps in the games we knew we would win?

When i say berrios played more, like everyone else, i meant in big games WHERE WE NEED our PROVEN UPPERCLASSMEN.

Herb should have been in the game to drop that catch vs nebraska...... also should've been in to drop that pass vs fsu. two critical games we needed our proven upperclassmen in.

telling me how many snaps the players have played is the same as a guy saying we have a top ten pass defense after playing 4 run first teams!!

Nerds always try to pull numbers to support their argument but NOTHING in college football is that black and white.

FAIL!

Never fails to attack the person when the numbers don't support their agenda

Seems to me Berrios is being a victim because of his race. He needs a I cant Breathe shirt too. He had one drop on a very tough catch. The ball came right by the defender shielding Berrios's vision and the ball looked like it was going to get deflected. I still think he should have caught it. I also believe Waters is better right now.

dont push it

Change his name too whitesupremacy lolol

Let's split the difference here. He needs a "Hands Up. Didn't Catch" shirt.

Advertisement

Awwwwwww...Poor upper-classmen, signed their LOI under false pretenses! All due respect, GTFOH with that. They KNEW what they signed up for. (Hyman Roth- "THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE'VE CHOSEN!!!) They failed! Did the coaching staff fail too? YES. But I am not going to sit here and throw a pity party for some of these players either. FOUR upperclassmen showed up those last 2 games when they could have made a statement and ended their careers on a solid note. FOUR! Walford, Denzel, Dorsett, Feliciano. Even Duke mailed it in.

In 1998, after we FAILED miserably and got our heads bashed in by Donovan McNabb and Syracuse, that team could have easily said F it. But they didn't, they went on to beat the #3 team UCLA at that time and won the bowl game. Finished the season! Even though there was nothing the play for! And don't give me that Butch crap either. It took those seniors and the leaders on that team to rally those boys.

There was no rallying cry after we lost to FSU. There was no fight. There was no passion. So you hate your coach? Fine. But ****, PLAY FOR EACH OTHER! Play for the guy next to you. F Golden and play for the seniors. Smh. I saw none of that. So yes, I will **** on some of these players. Thanks.

It's the coach's job to have a motivated team. Good coaches can get their kids to play hard for them. You citing Butch's team turning around and beating #3 UCLA only highlights that. Golden is a ****** coach all the way around. Butch was not.

You're one of the Golden Girls that likes to absolve him of any responsibility in the matter. One of his main jobs is get his team up to play every game, and have a group that never quits.

I know, I know, yet another senior class at Miami that doesn't want to win and has no internal drive. 11 years and counting of the same old ****.

This is a result of 3 horrible head coaches. Stop blaming the players.

It's the coach's job to have a motivated team. Good coaches can get their kids to play hard for them. You citing Butch's team turning around and beating #3 UCLA only highlights that. Golden is a ****ty coach all the way around. Butch was not.

You're one of the Golden Girls that likes to absolve him of any responsibility in the matter. One of his main jobs is get his team up to play every game, and have a group that never quits.

I know, I know, yet another senior class at Miami that doesn't want to win and has no internal drive. 11 years and counting of the same old ****.

I don't think college kids should always be absolved of blame simply because they're kids but in relation to Alfred specifically, he deserves more blame if the team quit on him than even Radio or Clappy. Neither of those guys touted the sports psychology nonsense or claimed to have a magical binder or answers that kids would buy into. At the very least, Alfred picked these kids and being able to assemble a squad that woudn't ever lack motivation should have been a simple task (regardless of even their talent levels) for a guy with this vaunted masters degree from UVA in sports psychology.

I blame Golden, but it's a combination of the coaches and players, and also the chemistry between them.

But to absolve one and not the other seems a little biased to me especially when you have 3 coaches in a row that have the same problem. There is nothing I hate worse than a team or player that quits. It's the Lebron attitude that once things don't go your way, you turn it off and throw in the towel.

Playing time was spread out across the board for players. Some might have gotten a little more/less playing time then they should have, but most players were given their opportunities. For those that might have been shafted, the last two games were perfect opportunities to make a statement considering other players were throwing in the towel.

I still live by this quote: How do you tell a good football player? The one who is making tackles in the 4th quarters when you are down 30.

It's the coach's job to have a motivated team. Good coaches can get their kids to play hard for them. You citing Butch's team turning around and beating #3 UCLA only highlights that. Golden is a ****ty coach all the way around. Butch was not.

Not going to get into a long back and forth here. But I am far from a Golden supporter. I want the guy gone yesterday. But don't sit here and try to convince the people that the players are free from all blame. Half of these mofos signed up to play for this clown when the majority of the people on here "claim" they knew he was a bum since the MD game. So what does that say about the players?

I got love for the kids who fought and didn't give up. Didn't fall on the excuse that "Its all Goldens fault!" The others we will just see at the spring games when they try to blend in with the former players who actually won **** here.

Advertisement
Although I do think Waters should have played more over Berrios. Berrios is no slouch at all, despite that FSU drop. I thought he did very well for a freshman and I expect him to take another step forward next year.

I expect Berrios actually to have a very good shot at leaving a good mark on the receiving records here. Don't get it twisted, he's young but he's gonna be a good one.

How can you expect the players to get up for games when it is crystal clear that this coach doesn't give a final **** about this program? Since losing out on the Ped State job, he's basically checked out as far as UM is concerned. You would think he'd be working harder than ever to succeed here as he'd be more likely to get the job he truly wants the next time it is open.( Franklin didn't do much this year and it remains to be seen if he will get that team turned around.) Instead, he just acts like he's going to sit here, collect checks and suck. This just doesn't make sense for him career wise.

I guess the players are going to have to motivate themselves from now on. It's a horrible situation all around.

Herb played 181 plays this year
Berrios played 194 plays this year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NMZqBxHAXJaibsbizt0/edit?pli=1#gid=1661342776

It looks like equal time to me and not one playing over the other. Some of yall need to stop taking sides here and act like team players. If Kaaya ain't throwing the ball to Herb, than that's on Kaaya.

Malcolm Lewis played in 302 plays. My question is should Malcolm be getting reps over Herb rather than Berrios over Herb since Malcolm almost got double the reps?

I don't have the patience to parse out that spreadsheet, but how were those plays broken up by half? I think you'd find BErrios played more meaningful mins than Waters.

Advertisement
I think this whole Herb vs. Berrios is being way over-analyzed. It is not the reason why we are 6-6. Both receivers have different skill sets and are used in a lot in multi-receiver sets. Both receivers are very very good and get a lot of PT. This debate is stupid and if this debacle is causing a Civil War on this team, then this team is ****ed in the head.

What does meaningful minutes mean? Every play of every game is meaningful especially when we are 6-6. The season is more than the FSU game. Not having this attitude from a player would be a serious concern if I was a coach. Yes, 3rd downs are really important but making plays on 1st and 2nd down are just as important.

Coley got a lot of PT as a freshman last year. Was Herb ****ed with that?

Last edited:
you can't really say if these players are balling out or not because the coaching sucks so bad.

Put it like this..... If you put a 300 pound lineman at punt returner... he can try all he wants to be fast and return that thing for a td... but he just wont because hes slow and fat.

So how the **** can you compare butchs team to goldens team when butchs scheme didnt really cripple the players abilities like als does?

So again, stop throwing the players under the bus.

Players are always absolved of blame when it comes to headcases like golden.

for example, if Bud foster has a bad defense at virginia tech.... you can almost bet the players deserve a lot of blame because its proven that man can coach and develop defensive players.

This is just NOT the case here. I dont feel like the players quit. I feel like they were giving their all, as usual, and just weren't being put in the best position to do anything.

Like wth said..... these upperclassmen have laid it all on the line for a false dream that was sold to them.. really not their fault...

Herb deserved to play over berrios.. period

LULZ at dudes trying to absolve Folden for the team being despondent and quitting on him. That's the HCs number one job--having his team ready emotionally every week.

HC must be the ultimate leader and button pusher. When your troops go in the tank and quit en masse it is the HCs fault. Always and in all ways. There's no way around that.

Advertisement
Are you guys stupid? We run multiple receiver sets all game. Guys coming in and out. Both receivers got PT. Both had similar statistics, catches, and yards.

Walford had the best year we have had at Tight End since Olsen. He blossomed in this system. We will have multiple players drafted this year. Golden didn't cripple player performance on the offensive side of the ball. He just gets out-coached in almost every game strategy wise. Our problem on offense was running the ball consistently and having a Freshman at quarterback that is not very mobile and can't make all the throws yet. Our problem is not Herb Waters not getting every play at wide receiver or Berrios, one of the quickest players in the conference, getting too much PT as freshman.

Malcolm Lewis, only 192 receiver yards all year while playing a lot more than Herb and Berrios. Is he absolved from criticism because he is an upperclassman and had a devastating injury two years back while getting lots of PT as a Freshman? Golden is too loyal in this situation, and it's a **** good thing if you asked me.

Last edited:
LULZ at dudes trying to absolve Folden for the team being despondent and quitting on him. That's the HCs number one job--having his team ready emotionally every week.

HC must be the ultimate leader and button pusher. When your troops go in the tank and quit en masse it is the HCs fault. Always and in all ways. There's no way around that.

I would agree with you if they entire team went rogue and quit on the guy like USC did to Lane Kiffin a few years back. But there were players on this team who fought through it all and some that didnt and that's where I have a problem. So some players said, "***** Golden, I am going to play for the colors on my jersey and the U on my helmet" and some said, "***** Golden, I am just going to pack it in and if the U on my helmet suffers because of it...so be it".

Some of yall make me laugh. You come on here and spew about how the players have ZERO blame in this but you don't seem to feel bad for them when you start telling posters to not renew their season tickets. Ohhhhh..What about the players? Not their fault right? But they are the ones who will suffer from that boycott. Golden doesn't give a ****, he gets his check either way. Blake too.

(Btw, I am not renewing my season tickets. Just making a point)

I blame Golden, but it's a combination of the coaches and players, and also the chemistry between them.

But to absolve one and not the other seems a little biased to me especially when you have 3 coaches in a row that have the same problem. There is nothing I hate worse than a team or player that quits. It's the Lebron attitude that once things don't go your way, you turn it off and throw in the towel.

Playing time was spread out across the board for players. Some might have gotten a little more/less playing time then they should have, but most players were given their opportunities. For those that might have been shafted, the last two games were perfect opportunities to make a statement considering other players were throwing in the towel.

I still live by this quote: How do you tell a good football player? The one who is making tackles in the 4th quarters when you are down 30.

Same lame **** from the corching fanatics. "I don't like Golden, but it's the players' fault too. We have to be fair and impartial, guysm. We can't just blame the leader of the program who has had 4 years to being in his players and instill his culture. We have to be classy and blame the players too."

Fcking devout faqqotry.

More shielding Golden from blame by his few remaining loyalists.

You're finger pointing toward a bunch of players he recruited and he coaches. The bottom line is wins and losses. He's not producing. That falls solely on him.

Advertisement
Back