The Case for Jarren Williams

View as article
As yesterday’s spring game concluded, as I left Hard Rock Stadium and walked back towards my car, I overheard a conversation in the parking lot between two Hurricane fans discussing one of Miami’s biggest concerns: QB1. I don’t remember the conversation verbatim, but it went something like this:

‘Cane Fan A: “Man, Rosier is ****, Perry played okay, but those guys ain’t gonna win us a title…Rosier couldn’t even score against Clemson last year.”

‘Cane Fan B: “I don’t give a **** about Rosier or Perry, that Williams kid was balling. Give the young man the rock.”

I couldn’t agree anymore or say it any better than ‘Cane Fan B. Although Jarren Williams most likely won’t start this year, I believe current QB3 should be QB1.

A couple years ago, Miami was left in a similar situation. For those of you who don’t remember, Brad Kaaya had an excellent and very surprising true freshman campaign under then coach Al Golden. Although Kaaya went 6-7, it was needless to say fans were excited and everyone in the college football world quickly noticed his potential. Kaaya’s stint at Miami led to mediocre seasons and was barred from success for many variables he couldn’t control, such as the lack of depth, the idiotic coaching which drove Al Golden and James Coley out of Miami, etc.

At the time, the spring heading into the 2014 season, Kaaya was just like Jarren Williams: a quarterback who was at the bottom of the depth chart solely because of lack of experience, but clearly was the most talented on the roster with the most potential. Now, with a young and very talented roster with no true concerns except for quarterback and offensive line, there is no better time to give Jarren Williams the playing time needed to mold himself into a quarterback capable of winning a national championship.

Richt has high praise for Williams. After the first scrimmage, although a 7-on-7 format, Richt touched on Williams’ performance, implying that his ability to sit in the pocket and deliver balls with accuracy is better than any other quarterback on the roster. Williams had doubters who downplayed his performance because it was 7-on-7 and he was playing against the second team defense, but yesterday Williams showed he could play in a live game officiated by an ACC crew.

Like Rosier and Perry, the offensive line was no service to Williams. Williams was sacked three times and had to throw the ball away multiple times. What I was impressed with and didn’t see with the other two quarterbacks, though, was Williams’ resiliency to stay in the pocket. Williams displayed maturity in being able to be mobile within the pocket and follow his progressions and delivered check downs when necessary. Williams also showed diversity and variety within in throws. Williams was not only able to hit his check downs, but wasn’t afraid to throw over the middle and down the field. Williams went 9 of 14 for 107 yards and a TD on the day, posting a better stat line then both Rosier and Perry.

It seems as if for an eternity Miami has been searching for that transcendent quarterback who can lead Miami to the promise land, and I think Miami has finally found that guy. Not only does Williams have a frame that will certainly be developed over the course of this summer and the next four years, but more importantly he can play. We’ve already seen what Rosier can do, and yesterday Perry’s struggles with accuracy were eminent. If this team wants to win, not just compete for an ACC title and a national championship, I can guarantee it will not be with either Rosier or Perry. Coach Richt, I beg you, give Jarren Williams the rock.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Bring on JW15. If Rosier wants to start he better put this kid away over the next week. Williams will put in the work on the playbook, and in the film and weight room this summer to ascend the depth chart if not. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes and works with his qb coach also when class is out for the summer.

Advertisement
Bring on JW15. If Rosier wants to start he better put this kid away over the next week. Williams will put in the work on the playbook, and in the film and weight room this summer to ascend the depth chart if not. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes and works with his qb coach also when class is out for the summer.

I agree. He has shown he isn't here to sit on the bench. And he has done those things you mention since he came to campus. I am a big fan so far

Make the decision in the fall but I agree. I was pulling for Cade but it looks like he may be a transfer candidate.

I agree. He has shown he isn't here to sit on the bench. And he has done those things you mention since he came to campus. I am a big fan so far
My speculation is that if it still close heading into the fall, we are going to hear tons of reports on how Williams now has an equal grasp on the playbook, and is easily identofyimg coverages.

Advertisement
So long as the QB isn't transgendered.

Nice write-up, I wholeheartedly agree.

Are you saying a transgender can’t qb a top 25 program ?

I’m almost positive there’s some transgender folks out there who’d be better than uf’s qbs over the last decade.

Advertisement
Back