The Case for Jarren Williams

Advertisement
You had to know Perry wasn’t going to be the guy for two reasons:

1. He’s bow legged. Never in the history of football had there ever been a good bow legged QB

2. He has a weird looking mug (like Wanda from “In Living Color”) and jacked up ‘teefuses’ - that never works out for QBs
I have Mr. Elway on line one for The Svengali.

It’s time to step in to the 21st century. Bama went undefeated, and was one blown offensive PI call away, against Clemson, to win the national title w a true freshman two seasons ago, and just last season, brought a true frosh off the bench to come back and win the national title! Georgia just had their best season w a true frosh, and was this-close to winning the title this past season.

Kaaya actually didn’t do that bad as a true frosh. That def unit was **** poor terrible, and we had god-awful coaching. If JW is showing he’s ready, y not?

This offense doesnt need Deshaun Watson, it only needs a QB who doesn't turn the ball over, can create time with his feet and deliver an accurate ball on a consistent basis.

I believe by the end of fall ball CMR and his staff will have one of the two young guys sufficiently ready to do that at a level they're comfortable with.

Got to remember, outside of Dallas our offense won't see a D like ours the whole season. Tough to make concrete judgements about anything offensively in March when they're lining up against the front seven we've put together on the other side.

Advertisement
I agree with OP. Rosier's ceiling is winning the Coastal. Jarren is flashing & looks like the real deal. Starting him or Kosi as early as possible would be our best chance at getting the wins that matter most late in the season.

The problem is you have a 5th year senior who went 10-3, played for the ACC in Charlotte, & got to the Orange Bowl. Anyone who knows football can see Malik's limitations. Regardless, he was involved in some huge wins that were big time moments for this program last year. Starting a true (or RS) Freshman over the senior I just described is a risk most coaches would not be willing to take. I think it's gonna take a bad game from Malik before Richt pulls the trigger.

Last edited:
Rosier will start against LSU. That's a given. However, the backup will play a few series. Same thing will happen for the following games.

Whoever is backing up Rosier will have every chance to take the job from him as the season goes on, but they won't get it from the jump.

Rosier showed more of the same as well documented. He made a couple nice throws. He had some awful ones and took some bad sacks.

Perry showed a strong arm but quickly decided to take off and run every time the pocket broke down...minus one play where he threw the nicest ball of any QB all day. That play was called incomplete but it was a deep throw to the sideline while he was running in between 3 defenders. I believe it was to Harris. The ball would've been complete had Perry thrown it a fraction of second earlier. I don't believe Perry is able to go through progressions. The upside with Perry is he has the wow factor running the ball and the rocket arm. The downside is that he isn't comfortable in the pocket and is a single read QB at this point.

Williams was the most impressive QB. He showed escapability and poise in the pocket. He has the arm to make the throws and was mostly accurate. He also seems to be the fastest QB when he decides to run. Williams is still looking to pass first, even when he leaves the pocket. Williams game I believe is what we all wished Rosier would become last season. What I mean is Williams doesn't look to be great at anything. He looks to be good at everything. Rosier isn't horrible at anything. He's slightly below or slightly above average at everything.

Simply put, Rosier's a Toyota, Williams is a Lexus, and Perry is a Charger with a Hemi.
The car comparison is a little off but couldn’t agree more with the analysis.

I love what CMR has done for the program but unfortunately, I don’t think he has the cojones to play a true freshman to open the season against LSU. He just always seems to play everything conservative.
Which is my only knock on Richt...so many good teams at UGA and not one natty to prove it.

Advertisement
Would love to see JW get an opportunity to be the starter, but he simply hasn't been given the reps.

Unless he sky rockets up the depth chart come Summer & Fall, he'll be the QB3 battling with Perry for 2nd team reps.

Which is my only knock on Richt...so many good teams at UGA and not one natty to prove it.

How is that a bad thing? Only 10 coaches have won the national title since Richt started in 2001. Over that time span, there have probably been 500 coaches coaching Div1A ball, half of them in BCS conferences. Richt could rank in the top 2-3% of college football coaches in the past 17 years and still not have a title.

Advertisement
Look, this is the type of crap that gives this site a bad name. I really REALLY like what I'm seeing from JW, but temper yo cot**** expectations man. This kid should still be trying to lock down a prom date rather than QB1 at The University of Miami. He's had 8 practices in pads and two no-contact scrimmage games with limited exposure to our 2nd and 3rd team defense--I know he had 1 series against the 1's. Shut up. The thing that impresses me is his work ethic and study habits. His time IS coming. But unless somebody pulls a Tonya Harding, Rosier is going to lead the team out of the tunnel in 2018--all 12 games. Kaaya was 6-7. We're so far away from 6-7 today that that **** seems like a bad dream. We ain't going back there and we're not even going to risk it to replace a starter with an 11-3 record. He might overtake Kosi for QB2 and get some garbage time reps in week 2, but you best believe that Savannah State University will be the first live defense he ever sees. What ever hedoes after that will be well earned, and I wish him the best.
Very good counter, I was making a case for Williams. Any of the three quarterbacks will do fine, but one thing that is agreeable amongst everyone is that Rosier has the lowest ceiling.

How is that a bad thing? Only 10 coaches have won the national title since Richt started in 2001. Over that time span, there have probably been 500 coaches coaching Div1A ball, half of them in BCS conferences. Richt could rank in the top 2-3% of college football coaches in the past 17 years and still not have a title.
True but Richt has had more resources and more support from both UGA and UM (mainly UGA, still a little early for UM) than almost any other coach in the country.

Advertisement
Very good counter, I was making a case for Williams. Any of the three quarterbacks will do fine, but one thing that is agreeable amongst everyone is that Rosier has the lowest ceiling.
Raise your hand if you've ever made a paycheck evaluating quarterbacks at the D1 level of beyond.

crickets.gif

Trust me. Mark Richt sees everything we get to see and more. Then he goes home and watches endless hours of tape of the stuff we don't even get to see. If Jarron Williams gives us the best chance to win, he'll start. Until then, Keep an eye on who get's 1st team reps. I do not believe that Richt is going to run this competition until the fall like last year. Last spring he split 1st team reps with Shirreffs and Allison, and Perry took Allison's spot in the fall. He's comfortable with Rosier, and Rosier is a proven winner. You don't have to agree with that or believe it. Just know that Richt does. He ain't wasting 1st team reps on a guy he doesn't think can win games.

True but Richt has had more resources and more support from both UGA and UM (mainly UGA, still a little early for UM) than almost any other coach in the country.
Yes and he has also done more "than almost any other coach in the country." Fair is fair.

Advertisement
Back