The case for Dan Enos

Advertisement
Great post......I believe this was the right hire....our QBs will excell...big-time upgrade...imo

The best OC is one that evaluates your talent and utilizes it...like Don Shula did with the Fins. It sounds like Enos does just that. We won championships with a variety of offenses all of which recognized our talent.

To some extent that's true. But the BEST OCs are the ones that run an offensive system that is basically plug and play. Because it uses such innovative concepts and isn't asking much of the players.

Advertisement
If we don't run the spread, I'm fine with it. Especially if we have NC aspirations. For whatever reason, spread teams have crappy defenses. Not sure if it's that they only see that in practice, or what.

What was the last spread team to win it all?

Clemson. This year.

I just want to be able to score points. If that meant the RBs never touching the football, that's fine with me.

Hard to argue with that, as long as I don't see another one of our QBs put up a performance like Ron Jeremy did agianst UVA 3/6 for 20 yards and 2 INTs.

Going into the game I thought Kosi would prove himself. Being at the game was disheartening, but knowing I already bought Boston College tickets was backbreaking.

Advertisement

I really don't understand how anybody can read that and be excited. The entire premise of that article is that their OL was SO dominant, that it allowed them to bully teams, and then take advantage of teams being forced to commit to stopping this juggernaut of an OL by easy play action.

That isn't going to work here. ****, it didn't work at Arkansas. Once that line graduated, the offense collapsed. Because the fundamentals of the offensive scheme, absolutely sucked.

I didn't understand why our fan's were so **** bent on playing O strictly like the Big 12 when we have the stable of backs like we do. We desperately need hogmollies. Some spread concepts would be cool though.

Pass out cupcakes here and everyone will be ecstatic. Meanwhile, get beyond the frosting and glitzy sprinkles and it is nothing but white flour...easily crushed.

No different with the cupcake offenses. I'm thrilled we will have more substance.

I lack the knowledge to make an informed opinion on Enos.

However, a VERY knowledgeable Arkansas fan just told me "The red zone playcalling while he was OC at AK was some of the worst I've ever seen."

Advertisement
To some extent that's true. But the BEST OCs are the ones that run an offensive system that is basically plug and play. Because it uses such innovative concepts and isn't asking much of the players.

Ehhh...not really. What works one place won't necessarily work somewhere else.
Take for example, Willie Taggart. His offense was lights out at WKU and USF. He took a step up in competition at Oregon and his offense took a step down in production. He took another step up at FSU and his offense totally tanked. Same exact plug and play offense. It's not like his talent got worse. If anything FSU has better players than anywhere he's coached. Now, he's totally scrapped his offense with the hope that Kendal Briles can work some magic.

It's also the reason I take offensive statistics that don't factor in strength of opponent with a grain of salt. Everyone knows the g5 conferences are full of teams that light up the scoreboard. But dropping 50 against Miami Ohio isn't the same as dropping 50 against Georgia. The lower level schools just don't have the athletes on defense that the big boys do. It's the reason why Chip Kelly's Oregon teams always looked so bad whenever they played anybody with NFL talent on the defensive line.

If that counts then so does Bama (and OSU). Fine with me.

You could make a case that Bama has made a switch to a more spread based offense and Urban Meyer is one of the innovators of the spread, so of course that's what Ohio State runs. The spread doesn't mean 4 or 5 wide receivers every down and throwing it 50 times a game. It's all about spreading the field as wide as possible to give playmakers room to operate in space. And to keep linebackers and safeties from crowding the box to stuff the run.

Done: https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/the-tale-of-dan-penos-in-numbers.144499/#post-3796996

He was the head coach at Central Michigan from 2010-2014:
Total offense:
2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

As offensive coordinator at Arkansas:
2015: 25th
2016: 54th
2017: 94th

Nothing screams high power offense like 2 top 50 rankings in 8 years.

This is the reality. He's never coached an offense as OC or HC that performed the way we hope his offenses at UM will perform. He's at best, a complete unknown in terms of his ability to coach up a top-25 scoring offense.

I understand that's he's a highly regarded QB coach, which is certainly a positive. And I understand that other top programs wanted him as OC, which is also a positive. But he has exactly zero years of fielding a potent scoring offense, finishing 27th in 2015, 57th in 2016 and 62nd in 2017 as OC at Arkansas. As HC at Central Mich his scoring offenses were ranked 83rd, 92nd, 63rd, 97th, and 82nd.

We are now hoping that a 50 year old offensive coach will do something at UM that he's never done before, which is to coach a top-25 scoring offense. He's only had one top-50 ranked scoring offense in eight years as HC or OC. That's concerning.

Advertisement
Ehhh...not really. What works one place won't necessarily work somewhere else.
Take for example, Willie Taggart. His offense was lights out at WKU and USF. He took a step up in competition at Oregon and his offense took a step down in production. He took another step up at FSU and his offense totally tanked. Same exact plug and play offense. It's not like his talent got worse. If anything FSU has better players than anywhere he's coached. Now, he's totally scrapped his offense with the hope that Kendal Briles can work some magic.

It's also the reason I take offensive statistics that don't factor in strength of opponent with a grain of salt. Everyone knows the g5 conferences are full of teams that light up the scoreboard. But dropping 50 against Miami Ohio isn't the same as dropping 50 against Georgia. The lower level schools just don't have the athletes on defense that the big boys do. It's the reason why Chip Kelly's Oregon teams always looked so bad whenever they played anybody with NFL talent on the defensive line.

When did Taggart ever become regarded as some great offensive genius? Who is the Taggart coaching tree that everybody wants to hire from being the Taggart offense produces at such a "plug and play" level?

Taggart's offense was so bad, he basically had to ditch it and try to learn another offense. That's where the "Gulf Coast" offense came from. That actually wasn't Taggart's original idea for an offense. HIS ideal offense was so bad, he had to learn a completely new one.

But you're basing your satisfaction with hiring Enos, based on, in part, Kirby Smart wanting him. Meaning you have to like Smart's judgement of offensive schemes.

Smart's 3 Choices are: 1. Chaney. 2. Enos. 3. Coley

How many of them would you be happy with?
Nice dodge. Who are your choices. I read the article posted on Cis last Saturday before all the Bama and Georgia public interest. Ps, I am basing my competition reaction on Bama not Georgia. I Read up on Enos . Pleased with hire. Again. WHO WOULD YOU PROPOSE THAT WOULD MAKE ALL HAPPY??

When did Taggart ever become regarded as some great offensive genius? Who is the Taggart coaching tree that everybody wants to hire from being the Taggart offense produces at such a "plug and play" level?

Taggart's offense was so bad, he basically had to ditch it and try to learn another offense. That's where the "Gulf Coast" offense came from. That actually wasn't Taggart's original idea for an offense. HIS ideal offense was so bad, he had to learn a completely new one.

Every single coaching job Taggart has gotten has been solely based on his offense. He didn't get the job at USF, Oregon, or FSU because he was some kind of defensive savant. Nor did he get any of those jobs based on his record as a head coach, which as far as I can remember is still below .500.

Every single coaching job Taggart has gotten has been solely based on his offense. He didn't get the job at USF, Oregon, or FSU because he was some kind of defensive savant. Nor did he get any of those jobs based on his record as a head coach, which as far as I can remember is still below .500.

Not really. Taggart was an offensive minded coach, but NOBODY considered him an offensive genius that had this offensive philosophy you wanted to get a piece of. Taggart didn't adopt the "Gulf Coast" until 2015-2016-ish. Before then he was running a completely different offensive system. That's how bad of an offensive mind Taggart is/was: he had to re-learn offense.

Taggart's claim to fame is his recruiting, not him being some "plug and play" offensive genius.

Advertisement
Back