Off-Topic The Car Thread

Advertisement
I've looked for a 74 C10 on and off for years. I've never found one that fit the bill and I don't have it in me to do another project.

I hear you. I usually take on one at a time. Got a '69 Cutlass convertible I'm slowly putting together also. Piece by piece.

keep us updated please

SS grille.jpg

Absolutely!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Fro Reuters today

Greetings from the Motor City!

Itā€™s great to be back. The Auto File is later than usual today because I have spent yesterday and this morning interviewing auto industry executives at the Reuters Events Automotive USA 2022 conference. More on that below.

The conference has been dominated by discussions of electric, autonomous and software-defined vehicles. Everyone can see the economic storm clouds on the horizon. But so far, thereā€™s no sign that investments in EVs and digital technology are slowing down.

That said, it was refreshing to get away from Southeast Michigan for a couple of weeks, and do a reality check on the auto market along a big circle route through the central and western United States.

I saw a Rivian truck on the highway in Colorado, and a few Teslas here and there. But mostly I saw trucks, trucks and more trucks. Fords, Chevys and Rams in Texas. A lot of Toyota Tacomas in Colorado. Jeeps and Broncos and other SUVs aplenty. Itā€™s breathtaking how empty much of the Western United States is, and how far it is between towns. You can find gas stations with green dinosaurs out front. But you donā€™t see a lot of EV charging stations.

Today, international automakers push for a re-think of the new U.S. electric vehicle policy, Wall Street holds its breath for Teslaā€™s result and the Renault-Nissan Alliance heads for a new chapter.
mail
mail
mail
Volkswagen of America Chief Pablo Di Si.
mail
Automakers wave caution flags on EV policies
The United States has a new policy calling for a rapid shift to electric vehicles made in North America with domestically-produced batteries and battery minerals. Everybody in? Not quite.

Hyundai Motor Co chief operating officer Jose Munoz, the head of Volkswagenā€™s U.S. operations, Pablo Di Si, and BMW Chief Executive Oliver Zipse all on Wednesday urged Washington to rethink key parts of the new U.S. electric vehicle subsidy policy outlined in the Inflation Reduction Act.

The Inflation Reduction Actā€™s domestic content and assembly requirements mean many consumers will not get a full $7,500 in federal tax credits if they bought a Hyundai, VW or BMW EV - or EVs from many other brands that cannot meet the IRAā€™s domestic assembly or content requirements for batteries.

A key concern for VW, Di Si told the Reuters Automotive USA conference, are requirements that by the end of 2026, 80% of the minerals used in batteries be sourced within the United States or allied countries. (The White House underscored that goal Wednesday with $2.8 billion in grants for domestic battery and mineral production.)

Otherwise, vehicles cannot qualify for $3,750 in tax credits. Shifting long-term mineral supply contracts and production operations cannot happen that quickly, Di Si said. He proposed stretching out the battery domestic content ramp to 2030.

Munoz told the Reuters conference in Detroit that Washington should consider extending the tax credit to automakers that have committed to U.S. production - such as Hyundaiā€™s new $5.5 billion EV and battery assembly plant in Georgia where construction breaks ground next week.

Zipse, in South Carolina Wednesday to announce a $1.7 billion investment to produce EVs at BMWā€™s Spartanburg, S.C. complex, said no region can be fully independent when it comes to battery minerals. ā€œIt would be a disaster if you stop industry from developing,ā€ Zipse said, adding the regulations in the United States could inhibit investments.

Separately, Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares used the podium of the Paris Auto Show to call for talks with European Union regulators to soften a proposed 2035 ban on combustion engine sales to leave more room for hybrids. ā€œThe dogmatic decision that was taken to ban the sale of thermal vehicles in 2035 has social consequences that are not manageable,ā€ Tavares said.

Hereā€™s one way to summarize these messages: Automakers are increasingly concerned that policy makers are moving too fast for an industry that needs years to recover big capital investments or shift complex supply chain operations from one region to another. The potential for economic slumps in major markets amplifies the industryā€™s anxiety.

Reliability near Lexus
Performance of Ferrari

Porsche is 2nd to no one
About performance....

Thatā€™s right, it takes the 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Lightweight just 9.9-seconds to go 1,320 feet when starting from a dead standstill. Thatā€™s not even the most shocking part though because from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) itā€™s half a second quicker than the Koenigsegg Regera RS, the Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta, and the Pagani Zonda R. Put it on an unprepped surface and itā€™ll even best the Tesla Model S Plaid to 60....

What about Tesla, you say? Well, after we wait the 15 minutes or so that the Model S Plaid will need to warm up, itā€™s never been faster than 2.1 seconds, unless it was on a prepared surface. In fact, many owners canā€™t even get their Plaids to go that fast. Oh, and the Porsche can do this trick over, and over, and over, and over again.

And then there's total performance...

Advertisement
About performance....

Thatā€™s right, it takes the 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S Lightweight just 9.9-seconds to go 1,320 feet when starting from a dead standstill. Thatā€™s not even the most shocking part though because from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) itā€™s half a second quicker than the Koenigsegg Regera RS, the Ferrari LaFerrari Aperta, and the Pagani Zonda R. Put it on an unprepped surface and itā€™ll even best the Tesla Model S Plaid to 60....

What about Tesla, you say? Well, after we wait the 15 minutes or so that the Model S Plaid will need to warm up, itā€™s never been faster than 2.1 seconds, unless it was on a prepared surface. In fact, many owners canā€™t even get their Plaids to go that fast. Oh, and the Porsche can do this trick over, and over, and over, and over again.

And then there's total performance...

Itā€™s nearly impossible to get a Porsche turbo S, or at least itā€™ll take probably a year at this point

Advertisement
Yes sir....at $300k+.
I'm assuming you never pulled the trigger on the 4S?

List price for a turbo S tricked out should be somewhere around 220 or so. Maybe theyā€™re marking them way up, but thatā€™s the list price anyway. I have not pulled the trigger on anything this is just a horrible time to buy something especially a big ticket item.

List price for a turbo S tricked out should be somewhere around 220 or so. Maybe theyā€™re marking them way up, but thatā€™s the list price anyway. I have not pulled the trigger on anything this is just a horrible time to buy something especially a big ticket item.
Agreed.

After I pick up my lottery winnings, here's what else I'll be picking up.
The number with tax, and no surcharge, is right at 300k.

Maybe I could take off the under-door puddle lights and save $160 :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot (14).png

With the options I would want, which are around 10 K, the list price is below. Now I know there are additional costs and so forth including tax. but 227 would be the list price with the options I want. So I know that itā€™s listed 227, easily another 20 to 30K So we will split the difference, around 250 for what I want

11F11328-FF55-4424-9880-AA1DB023A02A.jpeg

Advertisement
Back