Off-Topic The Car Thread

Unions and The EV Revolution

The 21st Century auto industry may run on semiconductors and batteries instead of iron and oil, but somebody still must put electric, software-defined vehicles together.

Unions that represent auto workers are not happy with the way the EV revolution is going so far.

The head of the United Auto Workers, which represents about 150,000 U.S. production workers at General Motors, Ford and Stellantis North America (formerly known as Chrysler) said Tuesday that workers are ready to strike rather than settle for incremental gains in the round of contract bargaining that begins this week.

UAW President Shawn Fain used an address on Facebook to kick off negotiations with the Detroit Three, ditching a traditional hand-shake ceremony with company executives seen in the past as a symbol of the shared interests of the union and the automakers.

Fain is not about collaboration. He wants the Detroit automakers to make significant improvements in wages, end the practice of paying new hires less than veteran workers, commit to job protections as factories switch to EVs and assure that the UAW represents workers at joint-venture battery factories and new EV plants in union-optional states. He often cites the nearly quarter of a trillion dollars in profits the companies have reported since 2013 to argue that workers deserve a bigger share of the wealth.

The Detroit automakers see the world differently. They see Tesla with hourly labor costs some 20% below UAW plant levels using its cost advantage to cut prices and undermine sales of legacy brand EVs. They see billions of dollars going out the door to fund unprofitable EV projects, and to meet tougher emissions standards. They see their most loyal and profitable customers buying the largest combustion trucks and SUVs they can afford, bypassing the concerns about the climate among regulators and ESG-minded investors.

The stakes are high for the Detroit Three and the UAW.

Four years ago, UAW workers went on a strike at GM for six weeks when negotiators could not agree by the contract deadline, costing the company nearly $3 billion.

A deal that locks in uncompetitive labor costs at UAW factories could accelerate the flow of sales – and jobs – to Tesla and other non-union manufacturers who can offer more for less.

For the UAW and Fain, failure to make good on promises of winning big for workers could make it even harder for the UAW to organize non-union factories in the union-skeptical South. The industry shift to EVs directly threatens UAW jobs in combustion engine factories – one reason why the UAW has called on the Biden administration to back off on its EV goals.

Advertisement
@90scane

Toyota is also working on hydrogen-powered cars, too.

Until batteries with rare earth metals are replaced with common minerals, we aren't likely to see the adoption jump let alone the improvement to the environment.

Sodium-Ion may be the likely replacement for transportation due to the volume of batteries needed.

Advertisement

The 21st Century auto industry may run on semiconductors and batteries instead of iron and oil, but somebody still must put electric, software-defined vehicles together.

Unions that represent auto workers are not happy with the way the EV revolution is going so far.

The head of the United Auto Workers, which represents about 150,000 U.S. production workers at General Motors, Ford and Stellantis North America (formerly known as Chrysler) said Tuesday that workers are ready to strike rather than settle for incremental gains in the round of contract bargaining that begins this week.

UAW President Shawn Fain used an address on Facebook to kick off negotiations with the Detroit Three, ditching a traditional hand-shake ceremony with company executives seen in the past as a symbol of the shared interests of the union and the automakers.

Fain is not about collaboration. He wants the Detroit automakers to make significant improvements in wages, end the practice of paying new hires less than veteran workers, commit to job protections as factories switch to EVs and assure that the UAW represents workers at joint-venture battery factories and new EV plants in union-optional states. He often cites the nearly quarter of a trillion dollars in profits the companies have reported since 2013 to argue that workers deserve a bigger share of the wealth.

The Detroit automakers see the world differently. They see Tesla with hourly labor costs some 20% below UAW plant levels using its cost advantage to cut prices and undermine sales of legacy brand EVs. They see billions of dollars going out the door to fund unprofitable EV projects, and to meet tougher emissions standards. They see their most loyal and profitable customers buying the largest combustion trucks and SUVs they can afford, bypassing the concerns about the climate among regulators and ESG-minded investors.

Four years ago, UAW workers went on a strike at GM for six weeks when negotiators could not agree by the contract deadline, costing the company nearly $3 billion.

A deal that locks in uncompetitive labor costs at UAW factories could accelerate the flow of sales – and jobs – to Tesla and other non-union manufacturers who can offer more for less.

For the UAW and Fain, failure to make good on promises of winning big for workers could make it even harder for the UAW to organize non-union factories in the union-skeptical South. The industry shift to EVs directly threatens UAW jobs in combustion engine factories – one reason why the UAW has called on the Biden administration to back off on its EV goals.
I worked for a well known OE and after market automotive parts manufacturer for 16 years. The UAW is one of most corrupt unions in the country. They “elect” “leaders” that are absolutely clueless about how a business is run and these so called leaders line their pockets with dues paid by the members.

The reason we see so many automotive manufacturers and their suppliers in the south is they moved from the rust belt to get away from unions and in particular, the UAW.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I want an EV like I want a root canal followed by a chainsaw vasectomy.

I'd never park an EV in my garage.

Those things abruptly catch on fire - and if you know anything about lithium - water is not going to put it out.

Burn your house down!

I'd never get a good night's sleep knowing what I know. Ignorance truly IS bliss.

I want an EV like I want a root canal followed by a chainsaw vasectomy.

I'd never park an EV in my garage.

Those things abruptly catch on fire - and if you know anything about lithium - water is not going to put it out.

Burn your house down!

I'd never get a good night's sleep knowing what I know. Ignorance truly IS bliss.
But think how good it would like with genuine mag wheels.

**** the UAW and **** EVs and **** the government for trying to force EVs on me

Advertisement
Back