Off-Topic The Car Thread

Advertisement
Advertisement
Snip from Reuters today on range anxiety:

“How many miles must an EV drive?” might have made it into Bob Dylan’s list of unanswerable questions if he’d been at the peak of his song-writing output during today’s mass transition to electric vehicles.

Despite most Americans driving just 30-40 miles a day, a Reuters/Ipsos survey released this week showed that a third of U.S. consumers who would consider buying an all-electric vehicle as their next vehicle say they need at least 500 miles of charge – with another third saying they need at least 300 miles.

The desire for your car to have a range far beyond what you use in daily life – dubbed “range anxiety” in the industry – is the paradox of the electric age.

In part, you could argue range anxiety is a result of charging anxiety – people don’t trust that they’ll find a charging point when they need it and would rather be safe.

That isn’t entirely misplaced: the U.S. has about 130,000 charging stations now, and studies say it’ll need millions by 2030 if EV uptake grows as expected.

What’s more, EV charger makers are now scrambling to comply with new rules that their chargers must be ‘Made in America’ without slowing down expansion even further.

Advertisement
Snip from Reuters today on range anxiety:

“How many miles must an EV drive?” might have made it into Bob Dylan’s list of unanswerable questions if he’d been at the peak of his song-writing output during today’s mass transition to electric vehicles.

Despite most Americans driving just 30-40 miles a day, a Reuters/Ipsos survey released this week showed that a third of U.S. consumers who would consider buying an all-electric vehicle as their next vehicle say they need at least 500 miles of charge – with another third saying they need at least 300 miles.

The desire for your car to have a range far beyond what you use in daily life – dubbed “range anxiety” in the industry – is the paradox of the electric age.

In part, you could argue range anxiety is a result of charging anxiety – people don’t trust that they’ll find a charging point when they need it and would rather be safe.

That isn’t entirely misplaced: the U.S. has about 130,000 charging stations now, and studies say it’ll need millions by 2030 if EV uptake grows as expected.

What’s more, EV charger makers are now scrambling to comply with new rules that their chargers must be ‘Made in America’ without slowing down expansion even further.
I'm the perfect example. Most of my driving is maybe 20 miles total from M-F picking up my kid at the bus top and going to the store. But given the choice between buying a $35k+ EV and an old car that I like for a fraction of that, I'll pick the old car. I could buy this car and laugh at the 9 MPG even with $5 gas.

How long are the batteries good for on a Tesla? Do you have to replace them in 5,6,10 years and I imagine it is a significant price.

The batteries have an 8 year unlimited miles warranty, which is great, BUT the car is basically a computer with lots of batteries, the computer would be cheap to replace, the batteries not.

Advertisement
I don't think I'd try to plow through a snow drift in an $85k truck.

Advertisement
Just something to play with this Spring/Summer...

2000MustangGT1.jpg

Advertisement
Back