Off-Topic The Car Thread

Advertisement
I have rotated among Tesla models since they came out, and the Y is just an awesome, reasonably priced car. The scuttlebutt is the new Y will have a range in excess of 400 miles.

Advertisement
I have rotated among Tesla models since they came out, and the Y is just an awesome, reasonably priced car. The scuttlebutt is the new Y will have a range in excess of 400 miles.

Doubt it. Waste of batteries to have a 400 mile range EV. Particularly since Tesla has a great charging network that they plan to double by the end of 2024.

So, no longer the case?

iu

Made me recall taking the "road" portion of my Driver's Test out on Long Island in 1960 (I was 16). My car was a 1949 Plymouth -- stick shift (not located on the "floor," but rather on the steering column). Car also did not have directional turn signals so I had to do out-the-window, hand signaling (does anyone even know what that is today?).

I already knew how to drive prior to turning 16 but the parallel parking requirement caused me to delay taking the exam for a week or so. As it turned out, the State examiner had me execute that on a street that had no cement curb. Hence, it was a breeze to back in between two cars and maneuver.

Advertisement
Made me recall taking the "road" portion of my Driver's Test out on Long Island in 1960 (I was 16). My car was a 1949 Plymouth -- stick shift (not located on the "floor," but rather on the steering column). Car also did not have directional turn signals so I had to do out-the-window, hand signaling (does anyone even know what that is today?).

I already knew how to drive prior to turning 16 but the parallel parking requirement caused me to delay taking the exam for a week or so. As it turned out, the State examiner had me execute that on a street that had no cement curb. Hence, it was a breeze to back in between two cars and maneuver.

My father insisted on teaching me hand signals even though the car had turning lights, "just in case".

It was on my written exam in 81.
I woulda thought all the cars not equipped with directionals were off the road well before then. Crazy!

My wife is always on me about not using the directionals when I'm cruising/switching lanes on an open stretch of highway. Those who learned on and/or drove cars with no directional signals tended to only go to that "trouble" when in traffic. Guess that's a bad habit I'll never shake.

Turn signals came on expensive cars back in the late 1920s (maybe before). Only became standard on cars, though, in the 50s.

Advertisement
I woulda thought all the cars not equipped with directionals were off the road well before then. Crazy!

My wife is always on me about not using the directionals when I'm cruising/switching lanes on an open stretch of highway. Those who learned on and/or drove cars with no directional signals tended to only go to that "trouble" when in traffic. Guess that's a bad habit I'll never shake.

Turn signals came on expensive cars back in the late 1920s (maybe before). Only became standard on cars, though, in the 50s.
I think the logic was broken lights, blown fuses, and the fact that old cars and farm equipment might be on the road.

One of today's kids see a Model A and the driver holds his arm out and up, they have no idea what he's going to do. Not to mention being unable to find the humor of "Right turn, Clyde" in Every Which Way But Loose.

I think the logic was broken lights, blown fuses, and the fact that old cars and farm equipment might be on the road.

One of today's kids see a Model A and the driver holds his arm out and up, they have no idea what he's going to do. Not to mention being unable to find the humor of "Right turn, Clyde" in Every Which Way But Loose.
Clyde stole that movie! Ape could throw a punch.

Advertisement
There are two big hindrances to the adoption of EV's; price, and range "anxiety". A reasonably priced EV with a 400 mile range would be a game changer.
Not really. Reliable and vast charging access is by far more important than a 400 mile EV vs a 300mile EV which is what is currently on the market. There already basically is no range anxiety for Tesla owners. Now when you double the Supercharger network like they plan to by 2024, it won’t even be a question.

Price… I agree. And if you watched Teslas investor day yesterday this was something they focused on. Their next generation vehicle is going to be 50% cheaper than a Model 3/Y (for them). So a definite sub $30k vehicle. But that’ll probably have like 200-250mile range

Advertisement
Back