The biggest game of 2018 for college football's top 10

Loose Cannon

Junior
Courtesy of Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY

It would appear that the publisher of one of the two major CFB National Poll Rankings is already hedging against the possibility of a Miami win in Arlington by implying that LSU probably isn't very good.

"A neutral-site win would put wind in the Hurricanes’ sails, even if the rest of the regular season might reveal LSU to be a national pretender."

Advertisement
By many accounts, you can read then here, we are going to smoke them.

Realistic people have a concern anytime Rosier is at QB.

Our DL lost a lot, in particular up the middle, which has been a strength of LSU's running game throught thr years.

Our OL, hasn't shown itself to be physical and the coaches haven't been happy this last spring. They were constantly shuffling to try and find something that works. This could be a DL is ahead of the OL thing and if there's one thing LSU always has, it's solid DL.

This will essentially be a road game. We will represent, but LSU will far outnumber our fans. There's other factors, but those are the biggest question marks I see going in.

It will also be the first game of the season, so those games can always go a bunch of ways. Whoever said that may very well be correct down the road. We'll just have to wait and see.

Our DL lost a lot, in particular up the middle, which has been a strength of LSU's running game throught thr years.

Our OL, hasn't shown itself to be physical and the coaches haven't been happy this last spring. They were constantly shuffling to try and find something that works. This could be a DL is ahead of the OL thing and if there's one thing LSU always has, it's solid DL.

This will essentially be a road game. We will represent, but LSU will far outnumber our fans. There's other factors, but those are the biggest question marks I see going in.

It will also be the first game of the season, so those games can always go a bunch of ways. Whoever said that may very well be correct down the road. We'll just have to wait and see.

I have concern anytime we play one of the top rated defenses in the country. Great defenses can make Tom Brady and Peyton Manning look like Malik Rosier. Just ask the Baltimore Ravens.

That said, their offense doesn't scare me at all, and I believe they will struggle to score points against any defense with a pulse this season. I think for us to lose would require a multitude of mistakes; interceptions, blocked punts...things like that that puts LSU in consistently short fields. But as you mentioned, we do have holes that have yet to be solidly addressed, so those things could very well happen.

If we come out and play well--I'm talking just solid football, nothing special, just fundamentally sound and limiting mistakes, 24-10 Miami. If we come anywhere near playing up to the potential of our roster, if Rosier or any of the young guys manage to effectively distribute the ball to our dynamic athletes, 41-13 Miami.

You nailed it perfectly here. Many posters have permanent homer glasses on and aren't looking at the fact their few strengths align themselves directly into our weaknesses. Shouldn't be a surprise to any realistic fan for this game to be tooth and nail and ugly til the end

You nailed it perfectly here. Many posters have permanent homer glasses on and aren't looking at the fact their few strengths align themselves directly into our weaknesses. Shouldn't be a surprise to any realistic fan for this game to be tooth and nail and ugly til the end
LSU lost their top 5 rushers from last season, and I have yet to be convinced that they have somebody, or any committee of somebodies, who are ready to step up and replace that production.

Advertisement
It's hard to say our "biggest game" of the year is one that we don't need to win in order to win the division, conference, or national title. I agree that it makes a huge statement to the college football world, but most people have identified LSU as being on the way down at this point. My bet is on us blowing them out, their wheels come off, and they fire Orgeron by the end of the season. And then everyone will tell us how meaningless our win was against such a crappy team (ie 2013 Florida, 2017 FSU).

Advertisement
It's hard to say our "biggest game" of the year is one that we don't need to win in order to win the division, conference, or national title. I agree that it makes a huge statement to the college football world, but most people have identified LSU as being on the way down at this point.

Co-sign. FSU is our biggest game every year. Recruiting implications. Team morale - we went in the ******* how many years in a row after a tough FSU loss? That game just has the intangibles.

Va Tech should be biggest each year, bc it is in our division. It doesn’t feel that way though. Usually we get them later in th season. Even if we lose, it usually won’t be held against us too much, nationally speaking (costal is a different story). If we go 11-1 with our only loss at Va Tech, we’d have an outside shot at the playoffs.

But the author makes a good point. LSU is Labor Day weekend on a national stage. If we come out firing, it should help with national perception, and, therefore, rankings. If we take care of business the following few weeks like we should, the FSU game should be hyped.

So I can’t knock him for picking LSU.

LSU has Dudes up front and our trench game is weak until proven otherwise. Only a homer thinks we win going away in what amounts to a home game for LSU.

My concerns are OL and QB. If we can get someone to give us solid play at RT and Donaldson can move back to RG we'll be better OL. I think Rosier can improve 10% (approx 66%) on his completion percentage given a better OL, RB play and great WR talent.

Advertisement
My concerns are OL and QB. If we can get someone to give us solid play at RT and Donaldson can move back to RG we'll be better OL. I think Rosier can improve 10% (approx 66%) on his completion percentage given a better OL, RB play and great WR talent

A loss to Corch O in year 3 would be pretty inexcusible.
By year three you should have a QB that can run the O. Now, I believe he has the future starter in Williams, but in year 3 the starting QB should not be Rosier quality.

I agree that Richt is a much better overall HC than Coach O, but all the schematic advantages in the world mean nothing if your QB can't execute simple passes.

Advertisement
My concerns are OL and QB. If we can get someone to give us solid play at RT and Donaldson can move back to RG we'll be better OL. I think Rosier can improve 10% (approx 66%) on his completion percentage given a better OL, RB play and great WR talent

Look...
My guy...now...um...
Let's see...how can I put this...

boi.png

I've been one of the biggest proponents of the idea that Rosier is capable of improving, but go****...66%? A few things.

Number one, no. I'm thinking he could maybe go from 54-55% to maybe the 58-60% range. I think that if he's capable of eliminating the 44% type games, and maybe improving his ball placement on catchable balls, we can be special, this season. If he throws 66%, Coach O- is going to have to walk back home to the Bayou. We might hang 60 on LSU if Rosier is 66% accurate.

Look...
My guy...now...um...
Let's see...how can I put this...

View attachment 60554

I've been one of the biggest proponents of the idea that Rosier is capable of improving, but go****...66%? A few things.

Number one, no. I'm thinking he could maybe go from 54-55% to maybe the 58-60% range. I think that if he's capable of eliminating the 44% type games, and maybe improving his ball placement on catchable balls, we can be special, this season. If he throws 66%, Coach O- is going to have to walk back home to the Bayou. We might hang 60 on LSU if Rosier is 66% accurate.[/QUOTE

You’re over thinking this one. Rosier can easily be a 66% passer this year. He completes 2 of his first 3 passes, gets injured, replaced, and finishes his senior season with a 66.6%, I guess technically it would be rounded up to 67.

We are not scoring 60 points on LSU.
In your honest opinion, do we have a greater chance of scoring 60 points on LSU, or seeing Rosier complete 66% against LSU?

The entire premise of my post was that 66% from Rosier might be a little far fetched, and I illustrated that point by presenting a hypothetical outcome of that actually happening. Don't use my hypothetical illustration of how far fetched a concept is and twist it to imply that it was I who drove us to Never Never Land.

I stand by what I said. If Rosier throws for 66%, we'll score 60 points.

Crowder blank.png

Advertisement
Back