The biggest game of 2018 for college football's top 10

I didn’t cherry pick anything. The suggestion was made that someone trusted Richt better than Corch Orgeron to have a team ready to play on opening night.

Cherry picking is choosing to attack my response rather than addressing the original post. I was simply providing a supporting statistic without commentary.

It is cherry picking because we are not playing a G5/FCS school. You should look at his win percentage for P5 schools. Another good stat to look at is Richts win percentage for big games since this is going to be a huge game. One thing is for certain though. Choosing to address your comment instead of the original post is not "cherry picking".

Advertisement
I didn’t cherry pick anything. The suggestion was made that someone trusted Richt better than Corch Orgeron to have a team ready to play on opening night.

Cherry picking is choosing to attack my response rather than addressing the original post. I was simply providing a supporting statistic without commentary.
It was me, and yes, I trust Richt more than Coach O.

Last edited:
It is cherry picking because we are not playing a G5/FCS school. You should look at his win percentage for P5 schools. Another good stat to look at is Richts win percentage for big games since this is going to be a huge game. One thing is for certain though. Choosing to address your comment instead of the original post is not "cherry picking".
I shouldn’t do anything. I posted his record, and nothing more. You chose to dig a little deeper, and tip of the hat to you for it. Your post has merit. I didn’t offer or imply anything in mine.

You should probably learn what cherry picking means. I didn’t pick out part of Richt’s record to fit my argument and ignore the parts that didn’t fit. I didn’t even present an argument. I simply gave the whole record, sans opinion.

That is literally the exact opposite of cherry picking. You cherry picked, but so what? You raised a valid point.

I shouldn’t do anything. I posted his record, and nothing more. You chose to dig a little deeper, and tip of the hat to you for it. Your post has merit. I didn’t offer or imply anything in mine.

You should probably learn what cherry picking means. I didn’t pick out part of Richt’s record to fit my argument and ignore the parts that didn’t fit. I didn’t even present an argument. I simply gave the whole record, sans opinion.

That is literally the exact opposite of cherry picking. You cherry picked, but so what? You raised a valid point.

I know what cherry picking means, but either way I was just informing everyone that this statistic is not pertinent to the discussion due to the fact that a very key piece of info was left out of the original statement. Keep in mind Orgeron has won 80% of his first game of season games.

I know what cherry picking means, but either way I was just informing everyone that this statistic is not pertinent to the discussion due to the fact that a very key piece of info was left out of the original statement. Keep in mind Orgeron has won 80% of his first game of season games.

No, obviously you do not. I’m not “leaving out” a key piece of information by including literally all of the information. Perhaps I did not highlight—or cherry pick—the portion of that whole information that you think is most important.

Great. It’s a good thing everyone gets the same ability to speak their opinions here.

You know, I could have just called you an idiot and pointed out how FSC and G5 wins and losses are not excluded from a coach’s overall record or even a team’s season record, and that you trying to down play a coach’s record simply because his team played G5 and FCS teams is pretty ******* stupid when you really boil it down.

Will the fact that Alabama plays 2 or 3 serious cupcakes and loses to one of the few actual decent teams they play affect Nick Saban’s coaching legacy or exclude Alabama from the next CFP?

Advertisement
It will be an ugly 17-13 type game. Both defenses will be way ahead of the offenses. I expect a lot of 3 and outs. I think our skill position guys are way ahead and one of them will make the play that wins it.

No, obviously you do not. I’m not “leaving out” a key piece of information by including literally all of the information. Perhaps I did not highlight—or cherry pick—the portion of that whole information that you think is most important.

Great. It’s a good thing everyone gets the same ability to speak their opinions here.

You know, I could have just called you an idiot and pointed out how FSC and G5 wins and losses are not excluded from a coach’s overall record or even a team’s season record, and that you trying to down play a coach’s record simply because his team played G5 and FCS teams is pretty ******* stupid when you really boil it down.

Will the fact that Alabama plays 2 or 3 serious cupcakes and loses to one of the few actual decent teams they play affect Nick Saban’s coaching legacy or exclude Alabama from the next CFP?

You are one of the worst porsters on this site. You have no idea what you are talking about. How is this trying to downplay anything? When it comes down to it Richt does not any better than Orgeron at Week 1 games. In fact his record is worse than Orgerons. I also stated that the stat you posted was meaningless because it is. No one cares about all of his wins against FCS and G5 teams because they are cupcake warmup games. You should have stated what Richts record was against P5 teams ESPECIALLY because everyone knows week 1 is very often cupcake week. Why would you use a stat that is made up of mainly G5 and FCS teams? Your point about Saban makes no sense and has 0 relation to this discussion besides the fact that G5 teams are involved. Since you may be to stupid to understand what your post said let me explain it to you. Richt has played SIX P5 teams in his entire career on opening week. 3 of those teams where awful and barely made bowl games. He also has 3 losses. That paints a much better picture than well he is 14-3 when the vast majority of those teams where cupcakes. I think Richt will beat Orgeron, but your little stat was deceiving and useless.

It will be an ugly 17-13 type game. Both defenses will be way ahead of the offenses. I expect a lot of 3 and outs. I think our skill position guys are way ahead and one of them will make the play that wins it.
Yea that’s what I’m thinking maybe both offenses will be both trying to figure it out and I’d take are skills and rbs over LSU’s any day so yea it’s going to come down to big play making ability to bail out rosier

Advertisement

Wow dude... Posting Richt's opening game W/L record on this thread is the definition of cherry picking. You cherry picked an arbitrary stat to (presumably) make the point that having Richt as our coach gives us an advantage in this game. Obviously, there are a near-infinite number of stats you could have posted, so choosing this one was cherry-picking. The other poster was right to call you out, because obviously Richt's past record in opening games has no bearing whatsoever on this one.

You're clearly just on here to argue and flex whatever pseudo-intellectual fantasy you can't play out in real life, so I shouldn't have wasted my time writing this. I just couldn't help it because you're an annoying d-bag. (And you were completely right about the guy responding to your 60-point comment, by the way. That guy's a moron. But you're a ******* clown who thinks he's way smarter than he is.)

Cane fans doing their best to make our Coach look inferior to Corch O. If dude had posted a negative stat, they would have said nothing about it but since it was positive, they had to dissect it and try to **** on Coach Richt.

Fun times.

For the record I also think it will be ugly and low scoring. 24-16 good guys.

Wow dude... Posting Richt's opening game W/L record on this thread is the definition of cherry picking. You cherry picked an arbitrary stat to (presumably) make the point that having Richt as our coach gives us an advantage in this game. Obviously, there are a near-infinite number of stats you could have posted, so choosing this one was cherry-picking. The other poster was right to call you out, because obviously Richt's past record in opening games has no bearing whatsoever on this one.

You're clearly just on here to argue and flex whatever pseudo-intellectual fantasy you can't play out in real life, so I shouldn't have wasted my time writing this. I just couldn't help it because you're an annoying d-bag. (And you were completely right about the guy responding to your 60-point comment, by the way. That guy's a moron. But you're a ******* clown who thinks he's way smarter than he is.)

One more time. Richt’s W/L record on opening day is only arbitrary, meaningless, or cherry picking when you completely ignore that I posted it in response to @ThomasM saying that both teams would have wrinkles to iron out, but he trusted Richt more than O on opening day.

In that context, there is not a more relative stat in football that exemplifies a persons past history of having teams ready to play on opening day than their W/L record on opening day.

This is not me pretending to be smarter than I am. This you being willfully ignorant of the context.

Didn't seem to matter to Troy last year.

we'd struggle with troy

we limped out of north carolina vs their 3rd string quarterback off of 5 ******* turnovers

I have zero confidence we blow them out. Our O line continues to wow in the worst ways possible, our quarterback is a question mark, our special teams are a flat out joke.

and apparently i'm the only guy that remembers diaz allowing 3 straight quarterbacks last year to look like joe montana

on top of all that, one word.. refs

Advertisement
While we will have many issues to iron out..lets remember that this is the same LSU team that lost to ND in the bowl game 21-17 and that game was ugly. And LSU lost some key pieces.

We cannot underestimate our opponent because LSU is "Pusha T" in this battle and we are "Drake"...The hype will be on our side. Coach O wants this game BAD and will do anything to win. I hope we don't come in lackluster and believing the hype that we will more then likely receive once the preseason hype machine starts in August.

That said, I believe our D will ultimately be the deciding factor. LSUs offense is just really really really really bad. No other way around it. People clown Rosier but you aint seen nothing yet until you have seen LSUs QB situation. I have no clue how they get top flight WRs to go there. They have ruined careers due to bad QB play. (Malachi Dupree, DJ Chark, Tyron Johnson)

While we will have many issues to iron out..lets remember that this is the same LSU team that lost to ND in the bowl game 21-17 and that game was ugly. And LSU lost some key pieces.

We cannot underestimate our opponent because LSU is "Pusha T" in this battle and we are "Drake"...The hype will be on our side. Coach O wants this game BAD and will do anything to win. I hope we don't come in lackluster and believing the hype that we will more then likely receive once the preseason hype machine starts in August.

That said, I believe our D will ultimately be the deciding factor. LSUs offense is just really really really really bad. No other way around it. People clown Rosier but you aint seen nothing yet until you have seen LSUs QB situation. I have no clue how they get top flight WRs to go there. They have ruined careers due to bad QB play. (Malachi Dupree, DJ Chark, Tyron Johnson)

LSU's top 5 rushers from a year ago:
------------------------------------------

Derrius Guice - 1251 yards - GONE
Darrel Williams - 820 yards - GONE
Danny Etling - 128 yards - GONE
Russell Gage - 232 yards - GONE
Nick Brossette - 96 yards (63 of that in garbage time against Chattanooga) Junior and new starting TB

Not only has the QB situation at LSU been historically bad, the one saving grace for them on offense has been having a stable of high quality running backs. All they have this year is one guy who's rode the pine for three years and gotten a few garbage time touches.

Imagine for a moment how you'd all feel about our chances going into this game if Choc Gray was the most experienced back we had on the roster. That's basically what LSU figures to be. Great defense. Good O-line play. QB who's been on campus about 3 weeks now, and a total unknown at RB.

LSU is similar to ND last season. No conference implications, lots of national attention and it affects the rankings. There was so much hype over ND's running game and linemen. Then we shredded them.

Advertisement
Why do people bring up the past it has no effect on the outcome of this game.every year college teams change players graduate,transfer etc.it's a new year and you need to expect or plan for a few surprises here and there.only thing we can hope for is somehow rosier our oline and offense resembles or improves enough to resemble some type of offense and doesn't look like the three stories trying to remodel a house.

One more time. Richt’s W/L record on opening day is only arbitrary, meaningless, or cherry picking when you completely ignore that I posted it in response to @ThomasM saying that both teams would have wrinkles to iron out, but he trusted Richt more than O on opening day.

In that context, there is not a more relative stat in football that exemplifies a persons past history of having teams ready to play on opening day than their W/L record on opening day.

This is not me pretending to be smarter than I am. This you being willfully ignorant of the context.

You know what would be a more relative stat? His W/L record on opening day against P5 teams. I guess we should be shaking in our boots going against toledo since their coach has a better W/L percentage than Richt. Who cares that he only plays G5 schools. All that matters is the overall W/L, right????

You know what would be a more relative stat? His W/L record on opening day against P5 teams. I guess we should be shaking in our boots going against toledo since their coach has a better W/L percentage than Richt. Who cares that he only plays G5 schools. All that matters is the overall W/L, right????
You are still missing the point. A poster stated that they trusted Richt on opening day more thane Orgeron. He didn’t say you had to or I had to.

I simply stated Richt’s record on opening day. I didn’t offer it as a positive or a negative, I just put it out there for folks to make of it what they wish.

Your mistake, and why you are still failing to comprehend this situation is that you are ascribing another posters opinion to the stat that I provided. That is why you think I’m cherry picking—even though you still don’t understand what it means, I know what you think it means. You think I gave that stat and purposefully left out the ratio of P5 opponents to G5 and FCS opponents to reinforce my opinion, when I never offered an opinion in the first place. You want my opinion?

I think we have a better coach than LSU. Do you agree?

I think we have superior talent at the skill positions. Do you agree?

I think our defense is just as good or better, and I think the SEC defensive stats are inflated due to them not having to face any quality offenses. Do you agree?

I think we even have a slight edge in the QB position, considering any player we start, even Williams, will have had more practice time in their current system than theirs.

I give them a slight edge along the O-line, but I’m optimistic that we hit on a good 5 man combination towards the end of spring camp that can only be improved with the fall arrivals. Do you agree?

I give them a sizable edge in special teams, but both Feagals and Baxa have the potential to flip that advantage to us if they play to their potential. Do you agree?

I think if we play decent we’re going to win, and if we play anywhere close to our potential we’re gonna wax that ***. I think Orgeron is the king of corches and when he’s forced to try to cover more than one top notch receiver he’s gonna lose his ****. I think their best returning running back had 96 yards last season, while we’re going to be at least 5 deep at tailback to go along with the nation’s #1 fullback recruit and two of the top 10 TE recruits in America. And we’re probably deeper at receiver than running back!

I think this thing could turn out like the Notre Dame game or worse. I think they’re going to get tired of seeing our guys run up and down the field, celebrate in the end zone, and wearing the chain on the sidelines.

I think we’re going to be the only game on TV, and I think when the final whistle blows, the CFP world is going to be on notice.

WE BACK!

You are still missing the point. A poster stated that they trusted Richt on opening day more thane Orgeron. He didn’t say you had to or I had to.

I simply stated Richt’s record on opening day. I didn’t offer it as a positive or a negative, I just put it out there for folks to make of it what they wish.

Your mistake, and why you are still failing to comprehend this situation is that you are ascribing another posters opinion to the stat that I provided. That is why you think I’m cherry picking—even though you still don’t understand what it means, I know what you think it means. You think I gave that stat and purposefully left out the ratio of P5 opponents to G5 and FCS opponents to reinforce my opinion, when I never offered an opinion in the first place. You want my opinion?

I think we have a better coach than LSU. Do you agree?

I think we have superior talent at the skill positions. Do you agree?

I think our defense is just as good or better, and I think the SEC defensive stats are inflated due to them not having to face any quality offenses. Do you agree?

I think we even have a slight edge in the QB position, considering any player we start, even Williams, will have had more practice time in their current system than theirs.

I give them a slight edge along the O-line, but I’m optimistic that we hit on a good 5 man combination towards the end of spring camp that can only be improved with the fall arrivals. Do you agree?

I give them a sizable edge in special teams, but both Feagals and Baxa have the potential to flip that advantage to us if they play to their potential. Do you agree?

I think if we play decent we’re going to win, and if we play anywhere close to our potential we’re gonna wax that ***. I think Orgeron is the king of corches and when he’s forced to try to cover more than one top notch receiver he’s gonna lose his ****. I think their best returning running back had 96 yards last season, while we’re going to be at least 5 deep at tailback to go along with the nation’s #1 fullback recruit and two of the top 10 TE recruits in America. And we’re probably deeper at receiver than running back!

I think this thing could turn out like the Notre Dame game or worse. I think they’re going to get tired of seeing our guys run up and down the field, celebrate in the end zone, and wearing the chain on the sidelines.

I think we’re going to be the only game on TV, and I think when the final whistle blows, the CFP world is going to be on notice.

WE BACK!

I never ascribed his opinion to your post. I was just saying it is not a relevant stat. That is all. I agree that we are the better team and I think we will win, but it was just a pointless stat.

Advertisement
Back