The biggest difference between Miami and Michigan

Advertisement
Not sure this should make anyone feel better:

“The reason Miami is 7-5 is because the coaches and quarterback did not consistently manage the game all season.”

QB will be new. Mario still gonna Mario and he’s horrible at game management…
Exactly! I was like……. nice - $8 million for the coach and what is being confirmed is what our eyes already confirmed for us all year.

The reason so many people have said that this team should be 10-2 or whatever.

To me, they are oceans apart.

Solid point Daniel.

My good buddy is a Michigan alum. He roots for us to succeed. He told me we needed a better QB before TVD went AWOL. I argued vehemently and then TVD proved him right. He maintains that if we had McCarthy we’d be a possible CFP contender and sure top 10 team. Hard to argue against that.

My thoughts:
1. Our O line is great but definitely seem to be better in pass pro than run.
2. Michigan is geographically based in a better area to recruit HS OL than Miami. Miami can do it but it’s going to have to continue to be heavily portal based which is not going to be as consistent.

Not sure this should make anyone feel better:

“The reason Miami is 7-5 is because the coaches and quarterback did not consistently manage the game all season.”

QB will be new. Mario still gonna Mario and he’s horrible at game management…
Mario's game management isn't nearly as bad as people blame him for.

Remember he has to manage the pieces he has on the field.

NOW, we can argue about those pieces...

And more importantly, he has key staff member's to manage those pieces all game on the field AS THEIR JOB...

Yes, San Mario is ultimately responsible for the results, but what is it porsters?

Hands off you ******* caveman or why don't you meddle in every key decision and take the responsibility away from what is supposed to be your key decision makers?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Michigan had 338 yards

They were 3-12 on third down

They averaged 4 yards a carry

They scored 30 points, 7 of which was set up by their defense getting an INT deep in OSU territory

This is not an offense or style of football anybody should want to try to emulate.

And the real difference between Michigan and Miami is the floor of the offense under Mario.

I’ve tried to impart this a bunch. But Mario has at minimum 5 negative offensive value games a year. Every year. His entire career. Regardless of OC. Regardless of QB.

He has 3 20+ positive value games for his entire career.

Even Harbaugh’s offensive floor doesn’t collapse to that degree when his man ball bullsh*t isn’t working.
I love the positive / negative value stats. That actually tells the story pretty **** well with Mario over the years.

Michigan had 338 yards

They were 3-12 on third down

They averaged 4 yards a carry

They scored 30 points, 7 of which was set up by their defense getting an INT deep in OSU territory

This is not an offense or style of football anybody should want to try to emulate.

And the real difference between Michigan and Miami is the floor of the offense under Mario.

I’ve tried to impart this a bunch. But Mario has at minimum 5 negative offensive value games a year. Every year. His entire career. Regardless of OC. Regardless of QB.

He has 3 20+ positive value games for his entire career.

Even Harbaugh’s offensive floor doesn’t collapse to that degree when his man ball bullsh*t isn’t working.
this will fall on too many deaf ears in here...."if we just had a QB" crowd especially
abandoning what is working or will work effectively in a game by game scenario is a Mario calling card...too many guys never watched Oregon games in here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Physical, ball-control football still wins the games that matter. Miami tried to establish this culture all year. Our OL is actually better than Michigan’s right now- watch how the NFL draft plays out.
So we have a better OL. Are we FYZICAL enough or not?
Yes, Michigan is the better team overall with the better defense and deeper NFL talent. But the difference should not be as stark as it is. What’s the biggest difference between the two teams? Game management.
That's coaching.
Michigan is 5th nationally in fewest giveaways. Miami is 107th. And despite Michigan using a dozen different head coaches, they consistently make better decisions in crucial situations. They also had a smart quarterback who was at his best when his team needed a conversion.
Turnovers win games? Yeah, so it's this a low-key bash TVD revelation? You're also saying Michigan has a dozen guys that are better gameday coaches than Mario. I agree.
You can’t be a physical, grind-it-out team if you consistently fail to manage the game. The reason Miami is 7-5 is because the coaches and quarterback did not consistently manage the game all season.
So Coaching? TVD turnovers? I mean, yeah.

And they lost to a much less talented team last year in the CFP with the exact opposite style of football.
True but it wasn't because of lack of being able to score points. They scored 45 points and had over 500 yards of total offense

Advertisement
Yay!! We are hoping to emulate a boring *** midwestern program like Michigan, which will get boat-raced in the playoffs vs any team with an explosive offense (which is most teams that make the playoffs). God forbid we have a system that plays to our recruiting base strengths. The Miami teams of old were absolutely physical but we were also explosive. If we are trying to be a slow plodding, fizicul Big 10 type team, god have mercy on our souls.

10 weeks? Mario has had 2 years and is STILL behind every coach we've ever had here (in 40+ years) after the same 2 years.

Anybody that thinks he hasn't been a MAJOR disappointment to this point isn't being real.

Doesn't mean we can't be optimistic that he'll succeed at some point but up to now he's absolutely underperformed.
Just a funny type post. I always have to remind myself to be upset and impatient when it comes to being a Miami fan…sorry

Advertisement
Miami, in large part, is 7-5 because...

[BGCOLOR=initial]- TVDs inability/unwillingness to throw to anyone but X for large stretches of time[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]- TVDs INTs[/BGCOLOR]
- Coaches keeping him in the game
this + TVD not throwing the ball to wideopen guys and instead throwing INTs or incompletions. honestly believe if emory had played the whole year and turned the ball over at 1/3rd of the rate TVD our floor is 8-9 wins, and emory barely showed he could complete passes beyond the line of scrimmage. had we had a game manager like the pratt kid from tulane who can also extend played with his legs we woulda won 10 games, even with the abundance of corching we saw. oh well **** happens and we're 7-5

I love the positive / negative value stats. They actually tell the story pretty **** well with Mario.

It shows just how low the ceiling is to his offensive style even when it’s working, and how bad things get when it doesn’t work, and it doesn’t work a ton.

And honestly, Harbaugh’s is the same when you look at the ceiling. His teams rarely have these games where they are creating a positive offensive value of 20+. Just like Mario. Because he spends too much time running into bunched boxes and burning plays and putting his offense in third and long too much.

The difference is he’s better at bro-ball.
So while you don’t see a ton of impressive offensive value performances every year when you look at Michigan, you also don’t see these complete floor dropping games. Where there’s not only a ton of negative value games, but they are like double digit negative value games.

And that’s Mario. And until he figures out how to stop that, nothing will matter. And it’s not a question of giving him time to turn us into what he did at Oregon. Because every year at Oregon follows the exact same pattern. Without fail.

Advertisement
Back