The biggest difference between Miami and Michigan

Physical, ball-control football still wins the games that matter. Miami tried to establish this culture all year. Our OL is actually better than Michigan’s right now- watch how the NFL draft plays out.

Yes, Michigan is the better team overall with the better defense and deeper NFL talent. But the difference should not be as stark as it is. What’s the biggest difference between the two teams? Game management.

Michigan is 5th nationally in fewest giveaways. Miami is 107th. And despite Michigan using a dozen different head coaches, they consistently make better decisions in crucial situations. They also had a smart quarterback who was at his best when his team needed a conversion.

You can’t be a physical, grind-it-out team if you consistently fail to manage the game. The reason Miami is 7-5 is because the coaches and quarterback did not consistently manage the game all season.

I mean, yeah. All that is true.

Different culture up there, too. Look at how that team came together and rallied around their coach and overcame adversity. They got that dawg in'em and man, we just don't. We haven't truly overcome adversity as a program or in a game in a long time. We've seen us consistently melt under the pressure of adversity.

Mario has beaten Ohio State before. In a very similar way. 292 yards on the ground. 0 turnovers. Won the penalty battle (4 to 7). Had 2 sacks on Ohio State, gave up none.

I am sure Mario thinks he can make a Michigan quality team down here with how good of a recruiter he is. But it took Jim Harbaugh 7 seasons to just get his team to a level where they could simply beat Ohio State. idk if he's got that kind of time down here for all that. And Harbaugh was winning 10 games out of the gate and finishing in the Top 20. Mario is .500 so far. So, yeah.

Advertisement
Harbaugh has been successful everywhere he’s been and at the highest level. Mario has done nowhere near what Jim has. Let’s be real here.
Harbaugh is the Walmart version of Jimmy Johnson. Where Jimmy would win chips to cap off building a program Harbaugh hasn't proven to be able to do so......yet.

Physical, ball-control football still wins the games that matter. Miami tried to establish this culture all year. Our OL is actually better than Michigan’s right now- watch how the NFL draft plays out.

Yes, Michigan is the better team overall with the better defense and deeper NFL talent. But the difference should not be as stark as it is. What’s the biggest difference between the two teams? Game management.

Michigan is 5th nationally in fewest giveaways. Miami is 107th. And despite Michigan using a dozen different head coaches, they consistently make better decisions in crucial situations. They also had a smart quarterback who was at his best when his team needed a conversion.

You can’t be a physical, grind-it-out team if you consistently fail to manage the game. The reason Miami is 7-5 is because the coaches and quarterback did not consistently manage the game all season.
Miami, in large part, is 7-5 because...

[BGCOLOR=initial]- TVDs inability/unwillingness to throw to anyone but X for large stretches of time[/BGCOLOR]
[BGCOLOR=initial]- TVDs INTs[/BGCOLOR]
- Coaches keeping him in the game

Last edited:
Michigan can win games that way and has.

I don’t want to be Michigan. It’s boring as **** and tough to watch. I’m fine with ball control smashmouth football at times but to build an entire program around it is not something I’d want as a fan. That said I don’t want a true air raid either. I like the power spreads so many incorporate now and even the offenses Miami and SF have going in the MFl. Miami was made a national brand by putting athletes in space and scoring on offense while attacking on D and making QBs lives miserable. That’s what I want.
The whole narrative that you gotta beat your head in the wall to win big is just not true. Go look at UGA , Bama , LSU and Clemson‘s recent championship teams stats. I’d rather be multiple like them while being fyzical.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Michigan had 338 yards

They were 3-12 on third down

They averaged 4 yards a carry

They scored 30 points, 7 of which was set up by their defense getting an INT deep in OSU territory

This is not an offense or style of football anybody should want to try to emulate.

And the real difference between Michigan and Miami is the floor of the offense under Mario.

I’ve tried to impart this a bunch. But Mario has at minimum 5 negative offensive value games a year. Every year. His entire career. Regardless of OC. Regardless of QB.

He has 3 20+ positive value games for his entire career.

Even Harbaugh’s offensive floor doesn’t collapse to that degree when his man ball bullsh*t isn’t working.

Harbaugh is the Walmart version of Jimmy Johnson. Where Jimmy would win chips to cap off building a program Harbaugh hasn't proven to be able to do so......yet.
How many current coaches have won natty’s in Cfb? How many coaches have been as successful as Jim at schools like San Diego , Stanford who was a doormat joke , took over a mess in SF taking them to a SB, then building Michigan into a constant playoff contender? I think that’s kinda impressive.

Considering that Harbaugh was a quarterback, it should be no surprise that he is strong in that area, including putting the right quarterback into place. We are mentally and physically stronger than before under Mario but we are not smarter and I don’t know that will improve

Also their substitute head coaches have more football IQ than our main one does

Advertisement
Not sure this should make anyone feel better:

“The reason Miami is 7-5 is because the coaches and quarterback did not consistently manage the game all season.”

QB will be new. Mario still gonna Mario and he’s horrible at game management…
People love to mention the qb but love to leave off the HC‘s game management lol.

How many current coaches have won natty’s in Cfb? How many coaches have been as successful as Jim at schools like San Diego , Stanford who was a doormat joke , took over a mess in SF taking them to a SB, then building Michigan into a constant playoff contender? I think that’s kinda impressive.
Never said it wasn't. Jim is a great coach, he only has one thing left to do to cement his legacy.

You have zero margin for error when you play that type of football.

And Michigan makes very few errors.

We're not like that and may never become like that. We can be disciplined and execute well without making mistakes but Mario seems like he instills the kind of culture where you're afraid to make mistakes which causes you to make more.
Mario is not even in Saban’s league, so don’t take it the wrong way when I say Nicky usually doesn’t seem too please when his team effs up.

Considering that Harbaugh was a quarterback, it should be no surprise that he is strong in that area, including putting the right quarterback into place. We are mentally and physically stronger than before under Mario but we are not smarter and I don’t know that will improve
If we have JJ McCarthy, we are easily a 10 win team and probably better.

Advertisement

It took harbaugh a minute to build this team up but a key difference
this year is they don’t have a qb who had a breakdown mid year.

- TVDs INTs
- TVDs inability/unwillingness to throw to anyone but X for large stretches of time
I'd say we lost 2 bc of TVD
1 bc of cromagna
1 general shi t the bed

Other side, we could have lost many of the wins we had as well

replenish the trenches in the portal and bring in will rogers and we are where we need to be

Advertisement
Harbaugh is a good coach, hs very unlikeable but hes a good coach

Yes it did take him a long time to build up Michigan and it has happended once Urban left Ohio

Michigan also doesnt recruit as well as Ohio St and the top SEC schools so whatever hes done recently has worked, for that Conference

Remember, even all the really good Miami teams were incredibly physical while all most focused on was the speed and style. Miami in its apex physically and mentally beat the opponent

- TVDs INTs
- TVDs inability/unwillingness to throw to anyone but X for large stretches of time

Bunching the box, forcing the run into the box, sending 3 receivers out on routes, not spreading teams out, not running tempo, abandoning basic modern staples like RPO for large parts of the year.

But yeah, the TVD that had his scoring 30+ a game as a rFR in a modern uptempo offense is the problem.

And ncaa has hated him ever since he called them out for turning a blind eye to the “cheaters”

Advertisement
Back