The Bickersons Thread

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Season ending mental data dump (I might just be mental): I’m assuming Romy, Reyes (least sure about him), Cabezas, and Bartow are gone for this

Feel really good about (not without things to improve)
Position Players
Zamora
Quinones
Escala
Cloonan

Pitchers
McKendry
Federman

Showed some flashes but ?s
Position Players
Gil (significant improvement the last month-could be convinced he deserves to be in the first group)
Jenkins (showed signs of life after Burns injury)
Rivera (good power, needs to improve contact and catch routine fly outs) Transfer seems unlikely but ?
Amditis (poor behind the plate, never regained rhythm offensively, injury prone) If we get Del Castillo, transfer seems to make sense for both parties

Pitchers
Cook (great when command is there, tailed off toward the end, like Gil might deserve to be in first group)
McMahon (flash of brilliance against FGCU, otherwise inconsistent in injury hampered season)
Veliz (needs to improve control, might lose to draft)
Maury (if healthy)

Didn’t show or play much
Toral (massive disappointment, saw the talent at brief times but.... Still expect him to start opening night 2019) Slight transfer risk
Paige (solid defender, gets on base, looked over matched when he needed to swing) Lots of middle infielders coming in, so transfer?
Allen (left off postseason roster) Almost certain transfer
Lane (left off postseason roster) Decent transfer chance
Sparber (only one at bat) Have a weird feeling they decided to redshirt him, otherwise I would say transfer

Pitchers
Rivero (definitely talented but erratic, injury ended season in late March)
Cloonan (didn’t pitch much, put in a decent outing against Maine)
Epstein (ineffective) graduated but has eligibility left, they were still messing with his delivery late in season. Could go either way re:returning
Ruiz (injured in fall, didn’t play)

Definitely going to need a pitching infusion. Hopefully, Cecconi, Gates, and Veliz go our way in the draft. Two JUCO pitchers coming in.

Last edited:
Advertisement
unreal, how a guy with that many baseball games under his belt could so spectacularly ruin a legendary program he helped to build.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Season ending mental data dump (I might just be mental): I’m assuming Romy, Reyes (least sure about him), Cabezas, and Bartow are gone for this

Feel really good about (not without things to improve)
Position Players
Zamora
Quinones
Escala
Cloonan

Pitchers
McKendry
Federman

Showed some flashes but ?s
Position Players
Gil (significant improvement the last month-could be convinced he deserves to be in the first group)
Jenkins (showed signs of life after Burns injury)
Rivera (good power, needs to improve contact and catch routine fly outs) Transfer seems unlikely but ?
Amditis (poor behind the plate, never regained rhythm offensively, injury prone) If we get Del Castillo, transfer seems to make sense for both parties

Pitchers
Cook (great when command is there, tailed off toward the end, like Gil might deserve to be in first group)
McMahon (flash of brilliance against FGCU, otherwise inconsistent in injury hampered season)
Veliz (needs to improve control, might lose to draft)
Maury (if healthy)

Didn’t show or play much
Toral (massive disappointment, saw the talent at brief times but.... Still expect him to start opening night 2019) Slight transfer risk
Paige (solid defender, gets on base, looked over matched when he needed to swing) Lots of middle infielders coming in, so transfer?
Allen (left off postseason roster) Almost certain transfer
Lane (left off postseason roster) Decent transfer chance
Sparber (only one at bat) Have a weird feeling they decided to redshirt him, otherwise I would say transfer

Pitchers
Rivero (definitely talented but erratic, injury ended season in late March)
Cloonan (didn’t pitch much, put in a decent outing against Maine)
Epstein (ineffective) graduated but has eligibility left, they were still messing with his delivery late in season. Could go either way re:returning
Ruiz (injured in fall, didn’t play)

Definitely going to need a pitching infusion. Hopefully, Cecconi, Gates, and Veliz go our way in the draft. Two JUCO pitchers coming in.

I don't think Cabezas, Bartow, Reyes and Romy are going anywhere. That Keysor kid from Juco was pretty dominant this year. He might slot into one of the weekend rotation spots. I'm hoping Federman is in a bullpen role, he was a totally different pitcher as a starter vs a reliever. This upcoming season looks promising with what we (should) have returning and what it looks like might be coming in. (It's trending in the direction that Gates and Cecconi might be drafted late enough that they won't command the money to go to the minors). Gates and Cecconi could be the 2 highest rated pitchers to make it to campus in a long time.

I don't think Cabezas, Bartow, Reyes and Romy are going anywhere. That Keysor kid from Juco was pretty dominant this year. He might slot into one of the weekend rotation spots. I'm hoping Federman is in a bullpen role, he was a totally different pitcher as a starter vs a reliever. This upcoming season looks promising with what we (should) have returning and what it looks like might be coming in. (It's trending in the direction that Gates and Cecconi might be drafted late enough that they won't command the money to go to the minors). Gates and Cecconi could be the 2 highest rated pitchers to make it to campus in a long time.

Hopefully you’re right about the four juniors. I suspect Romy, Cabezas, and Bartow go into the early to mid teens and sign. I’m less sure about Reyes. While he’s obviously a talented hitter with good power, his strikeout/walk ratio is concerning as is his below average play in left field (don’t know where you put him if he can’t play there). He seems the most likely to return. Luckily the draft is early this year so we won’t have a long wait to find out.

I agree about Federman. He’s a good candidate for the closer role going forward if someone emerges as the Sunday starter (I’m assuming McKendry and McMahon take the first two spots).

Advertisement
"cause great and usually irreparable damage or harm to; have a disastrous effect on. 'a noisy freeway has ruined village life' "

Great damage was done to the program and we have yet to see if it has been irreparable, but that is definitely a possibility. It will be very hard to continue landing top recruits when the school is A. expensive. B. no longer considered elite.

Advertisement
"cause great and usually irreparable damage or harm to; have a disastrous effect on. 'a noisy freeway has ruined village life' "

Great damage was done to the program and we have yet to see if it has been irreparable, but that is definitely a possibility. It will be very hard to continue landing top recruits when the school is A. expensive. B. no longer considered elite.

So you had to look it up to understand it. Just as I thought.

So you think Jim Morris, himself, did irreparable damage to the program. Do you think the school just became expensive this year? Or that somehow it will only be an issue going forward?

6 of the top 10 hitters on the the 2018 team were freshmen. That recruiting class was ranked 4th.

The 2018 class is ranked 12th.

The 2019 class is ranked 5th.

So he left a team loaded with talented freshmen and there are elite recruiting classes to come. Yet a hall of fame coach with maybe 3 "bad" seasons in 25 years did irreparable damage to the program?

Go sell your self-pity to someone who might buy it.

So you think Jim Morris, himself, did irreparable damage to the program. Do you think the school just became expensive this year? Or that somehow it will only be an issue going forward?

6 of the top 10 hitters on the the 2018 team were freshmen. That recruiting class was ranked 4th.

So he left a team loaded with talented freshmen and there are elite recruiting classes to come. Yet a hall of fame coach with maybe 3 "bad" seasons in 25 years did irreparable damage to the program?

You are one ignorant fool. I knew the definition I looked it up to show you that YOUR definition was wrong. How about you use your brain for once. Whose fault is it then if it isn't the coaches? Even if you want to blame Gino or another staff member it is Jim's responsibility to manage the staff. Again you need to use your brain. When you have an incredible post season streak going for you and are considered one of the best college baseball programs in the nation it is easy to get kids to shell out 25k a year or whatever their partial scholarship doesn't cover. When you are back to being mediocre people will choose to go to the schools that only costs 5-10k a year. Lets see how those classes pan out before we actually crown those classes elite. Again, you are a classic example of a white knight. No one thinks Jim had a horrible 25 years. He just put the team into cruise control the lat 10 years or so and it showed in our performance. No one wants to hear your homer nonesense on this board. If you want to white knight in an echo chamber Gator Bait would love to have you.

In seven of his last ten seasons, he either didn't make it to the postseason or didn't make it out of a regional.

We tried to tell you. When we started losing to Florida in regionals, and when we went 0-2 in a home regional, we tried to tell you that Morris was mailing it in. People dismissed it. "We're fine". "We can't go to Omaha every year". We tried to tell you that there were signs of a declining program, and it wasn't just a down year here and there. That decline put us in the unthinkable position of missing the postseason for two straight years. It was avoidable, but people like you are ready to excuse it because we have some supposedly talented freshmen.

You and Blake James think alike, and that is not a compliment.

Advertisement
Back