Off-Topic The BEST SHOWS EVER Thread

Each season breaks down different aspects of the B’more scene. Season 1 was all about the street stuff, season 2 was the docks and about how the drugs moved to the streets. Season 3 was back to the streets but with the focus of laundering the money. Season 4 was about the kids and season 5 was about the media coverage.

Season 3 was about how the politicians get involved. Season 4 was about the educational system.

Advertisement
Season 2 > Season 5

The fake serial killer angle just didn't make sense to me. Then the newspaper arc fell short as well. Felt like they rushed the ending. Then the way Omar went out was garbage.

Interesting. It was based on an actual incident at the Baltimore Sun.

But you are correct on "rushing the ending". Motherfvckin' HBO slashed the budget and episode order.

Then HBO tried to come back years later and get them to redo the series to make it widescreen, because it was so **** popular on reruns, streaming, and DVD sales after it was cancelled.

Absolute truth. SOME season of The Wire had to be the worst season.
That's my favorite season. It's not really like the others, but I wasn't as much of a fan after season 3 (although the whole show is very good).

I didn't like it much tbh. Breaking Bad was 100x more entertaining to me.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

However, BB is a fantasy. Unrealistic, even with the science angle. Fascinating and entertaining, no doubt.

The Wire is 100% real. All of those things actually happened. Many of the actual people appeared in the TV show in minor roles.

Advertisement
The fake serial killer thing is just a head fake. That season showed how the media influences the investigations. They had to have the serial killer angle so they could continue the investigation into Marlo amd all the bodies he was dropping. They were about to lose funding because no one cared about the bodies being dropped in the hood so to speak

The writers, Simon and Burns, one was a cop and one was a reporter in Bmore. I believe they met in the 80s when the writer was doing research for his first book: Homicide, A Year On The Killing Streets. Followed Baltimore homicide units for a year and it’s the book that the TV show: Homicide, Life on the Streets, is based off of

They also have a book and HBO mini series called The Corner. I’ve read the majority of their books. All great reads and we’ll done

Don't forget Generation Kill and Treme.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

However, BB is a fantasy. Unrealistic, even with the science angle. Fascinating and entertaining, no doubt.

The Wire is 100% real. All of those things actually happened. Many of the actual people appeared in the TV show in minor roles.
My biggest criticism on the "realism" front was that some characters' accents were clearly not Baltimoresque. But it didn't hurt the story. It's such a minor quibble.

Advertisement
Advertisement
McNulty is a brit!
I would assume Baltimore would be one of the easiest American accents for a Brit actor to pick up. Same for most of the original port cities on the Atlantic coast.
I'd assume the further inland the accent is located, the less traces of British/Irish/Scottish it still has in it.

I feel like it'd be an easier task to learn the Baltimore accent for "The Wire" than the accent needed to be cast on "Ozark" or "Snowfall" for example.

Advertisement
I remember when I looked that up my mind was blowed out more than my first hialeah haircut

Both brits, too. So many in film.

image.jpeg

Advertisement
Back