Off-Topic The BEST SHOWS EVER Thread

Advertisement
Season 2 > Season 5

The fake serial killer angle just didn't make sense to me. Then the newspaper arc fell short as well. Felt like they rushed the ending. Then the way Omar went out was garbage.
I disagree but respect your opinion. Season 5 was amazing to me and better than 2. I enjoyed the fake serial killer angle because every season tackle a different area of corruption in urban inner city politics and the media is a huge proponent in that. The two creators of The Wire are a former cop turned teacher (loosely inspired the Prezbolewski character) and the other is a former newspaper journalist, so he knows first hand what role the media plays disinformation and levels of outrage. That reporter lied his way to the top and that’s a real narrative that we see everyday more and more. Liars and narcs getting promoted. Season 5 was perfect in how it showed all of the characters transition to their respective roles in the game.

Everything came full circle and we found out that the streets of Baltimore was THE main character of the series the entire time. With McNulty pulling over on the freeway getting out of the car and just listening to the sounds of the city. They showed everyone then the last character we saw and heard was the city itself. He gets in the car and tells the bum, “let’s go home”….the city…Baltimore specifically.

It reminds me of a verse from the Genius of Wu-Tang Clan: “but it’s an everlasting game and it never cease to exist only the players change.”

Best seasons (greater to lesser): 4, 3, 5, 1, 2 and they all were magnificent and brilliant television.

The Wire is the only show EVER that could have gone on forever because the characters were not the theme, they were interchangeable and the final Season 5 proved it.

It’s story telling and character development. A lot of it comes full circle. Best show IMO. Give it time. Omar, one of the best characters ever created. I understand it can be outdated with beepers and pay phones and all. I’m originally from Opa-Locka in Miami. So all the open air drug markets is very relatable to me. Especially back in the 80’s and 90’s.
I didn't like it much tbh. Breaking Bad was 100x more entertaining to me.

Advertisement
I'm watching it in spots now stuck on season one. Nothing is happening it's super slow pace. Do I have to wait for heads to explode?
The first 4-5 episodes are getting the detail and players introduced. However there is a lot of things going on too. Like how the police force will shelve good cops because they break “chain of command” amd **** like that. Just pay attention my man and stuck with it.

Season 2 > Season 5

The fake serial killer angle just didn't make sense to me. Then the newspaper arc fell short as well. Felt like they rushed the ending. Then the way Omar went out was garbage.
The fake serial killer thing is just a head fake. That season showed how the media influences the investigations. They had to have the serial killer angle so they could continue the investigation into Marlo amd all the bodies he was dropping. They were about to lose funding because no one cared about the bodies being dropped in the hood so to speak

The writers, Simon and Burns, one was a cop and one was a reporter in Bmore. I believe they met in the 80s when the writer was doing research for his first book: Homicide, A Year On The Killing Streets. Followed Baltimore homicide units for a year and it’s the book that the TV show: Homicide, Life on the Streets, is based off of

They also have a book and HBO mini series called The Corner. I’ve read the majority of their books. All great reads and we’ll done

I disagree but respect your opinion. Season 5 was amazing to me and better than 2. I enjoyed the fake serial killer angle because every season tackle a different area of corruption in urban inner city politics and the media is a huge proponent in that. The two creators of The Wire are a former cop turned teacher (loosely inspired the Prezbolewski character) and the other is a former newspaper journalist, so he knows first hand what role the media plays disinformation and levels of outrage. That reporter lied his way to the top and that’s a real narrative that we see everyday more and more. Liars and narcs getting promoted. Season 5 was perfect in how it showed all of the characters transition to their respective roles in the game.

Everything came full circle and we found out that the streets of Baltimore was THE main character of the series the entire time. With McNulty pulling over on the freeway getting out of the car and just listening to the sounds of the city. They showed everyone then the last character we saw and heard was the city itself. He gets in the car and tells the bum, “let’s go home”….the city…Baltimore specifically.

It reminds me of a verse from the Genius of Wu-Tang Clan: “but it’s an everlasting game and it never cease to exist only the players change.”

Best seasons (greater to lesser): 4, 3, 5, 1, 2 and they all were magnificent and brilliant television.

The Wire is the only show EVER that could have gone on forever because the characters were not the theme, they were interchangeable and the final Season 5 proved it.
The fake serial killer thing is just a head fake. That season showed how the media influences the investigations. They had to have the serial killer angle so they could continue the investigation into Marlo amd all the bodies he was dropping. They were about to lose funding because no one cared about the bodies being dropped in the hood so to speak

The writers, Simon and Burns, one was a cop and one was a reporter in Bmore. I believe they met in the 80s when the writer was doing research for his first book: Homicide, A Year On The Killing Streets. Followed Baltimore homicide units for a year and it’s the book that the TV show: Homicide, Life on the Streets, is based off of

They also have a book and HBO mini series called The Corner. I’ve read the majority of their books. All great reads and we’ll done
I would characterize Season 5 differently.

I think it was more about the limited funding and issues the politicians face once they are in office. There’s only so many dollars to go around, so if you want extra money for the police, your schools and everything else will suffer (and vice versa).

It also shows the young politician (Carcetti), with the big goals and honest ideas, get swallowed up by the system and eventually crack (he had to go hat in hand to the governor, but ended up declining the $$ bc he could do “more good” for the city as governor).

Certainly the press plays a role on the show, but I think it is more of a vehicle to tell the bigger story.

Just my opinion. Def the GOAT show tho, and it’s not very close as far as I’m concerned.

I think it was more about the limited funding and issues the politicians face once they are in office. There’s only so many dollars to go around, so if you want extra money for the police, your schools and everything else will suffer (and vice versa).

It also shows the young politician (Carcetti), with the big goals and honest ideas, get swallowed up by the system and eventually crack (he had to go hat in hand to the governor, but ended up declining the $$ bc he could do “more good” for the city as governor).

Certainly the press plays a role on the show, but I think it is more of a vehicle to tell the bigger story.

Just my opinion. Def the GOAT show tho, and it’s not very close as far as I’m concerned.
I agree and i think you summed up what i was trying to convey.

They Should've never taken down Hampsterdam

Advertisement
It’s story telling and character development. A lot of it comes full circle. Best show IMO. Give it time. Omar, one of the best characters ever created. I understand it can be outdated with beepers and pay phones and all. I’m originally from Opa-Locka in Miami. So all the open air drug markets is very relatable to me. Especially back in the 80’s and 90’s.
Wire was good! But, no show touches 24 and jack bauer!!...

I agree it was all about that as well. Your post just adds to the fact that Season 5 was not the worse Season. It also showed that certain areas are purposely underfunded.

Breaking Bad is up there with The Wire writing and character development-wise. What The Wire has over BB is that the show and storyline was not dependent on any one or more character(s) where BB was heavily character based and dependent. This reason is also why Game of Thrones is in the top tier with them as well. If it wasn’t for the last season or two, GOT had the title of GOAT wrapped up.

Advertisement
U absolutely need season 2. I thought the same until I rewatched it.
It sucks the first go around because they take all these awesome characters out of the forefront and throw them into the background and the new characters are just a completely different speed. It was a show about the happenings on the block and all of a sudden there is this Sabotka dude who is in charge of the docks?

It sucks the first go around because they take all these awesome characters out of the forefront and throw them into the background and the new characters are just a completely different speed. It was a show about the happenings on the block and all of a sudden there is this Sabotka dude who is in charge of the docks?

How many times have u watched The Wire?

Advertisement
How many times have u watched The Wire?
Twice all the way through. Once in real time and another time after binging straight through. Then have watched episodes here and there. I forget the channel but DTV had some channel that played 4 episodes a night something like 4 years ago that I would watch on and off again. Its almost time to rewatch it. Just did a rewatch of the Sopranos this summer, and it held up the test of time.

No, but that doesn’t really matter to them, their ratings system isn’t based solely on a player’s talent...

Players being heavily recruited by USC will get 5-star bump ups because of Lincoln Riley & what the 247 analysts think of him as a Coach & the fact it was a splash hire & he’s getting paid a boatload of money.

That’s not to say they don’t have a great deal of respect for Mario too & how he’s developed players, but the reality is, the 247 guys are very political with their ratings & they base it off of trivial things like which programs & which coaches are recruiting a player & how it will drive their subscriber-ship count up.

As ridiculous as it sounds it’s true, if a player is being recruited by a high profile school & high profile coach, they will increase their ratings, hence Bama, UGA, TAMU, OH St etc & those programs also have the highest subscriber rates as well, so it’s system that feeds itself.

Them not giving Moss a 5-star if he comes to Miami isn’t so much about how they feel about Mario, but how they feel about Miami as a program & in their eyes we’re not “there” yet.

A couple of guys who left the companies flat out said that kids that are likely to go to the big schools that have a large subscription base get boosted. Why not? It's the American way.

And we all drool over these slanted opinions by guys who aren't qualified to coach JV girls football, or scout for an arena league team. There are just glorified internet fanboys, but they have a megaphone, so people give them credibility for some reason.

Speaking of Hamsterdam....

I'm watching it in spots now stuck on season one. Nothing is happening it's super slow pace. Do I have to wait for heads to explode?

Power through it. The first half-dozen episodes set up the framework for the rest of the series, in how the police have to chase the dealers.

By the last episode of the season, you will cry.

Advertisement
Back