The best athletes ever?

Maybe I'm being a little bit of a homer. I mostly saw Jordan play against Boston live, he had some big games but lost most of the time. He also had some crap games like every other player. Jordan is every bit in the greatest player talk. Picking one player as the greatest of all time, I can't do. But I'd still take Jabbar as my first pick in a draft. I agree much easy to pick players by size.
I agree. But for me I put lebron and mj atop the list. Like I said I won’t argue ppl who put mj over lebron because they account for the rings. But that can’t be the end all be all. The argument for mj can be more in depth b4 u just reach for rings. I just hate when ppl try discredit and disrespect what a guy like lebron has done

Advertisement
I agree. But for me I put lebron and mj atop the list. Like I said I won’t argue ppl who put mj over lebron because they account for the rings. But that can’t be the end all be all. The argument for mj can be more in depth b4 u just reach for rings. I just hate when ppl try discredit and disrespect what a guy like lebron has done

Jordan also played when BB was a much tougher game with better players. You have to take that in consideration too. Not disrespecting Labron though.

Jordan also played when BB was a much tougher game with better players. You have to take that in consideration too. Not disrespecting Labron though.

I can't state this enough. Can you imagine Larry Bird in todays league? Without getting clobbered? He would be a 6'10 point forward phenom. Same with Magic and Jordan. In todays league, you dont have Barkley, Ewing, Shaq, et al. enforcing security in the paint.

Basketball was a war. It was a war of words, it was a war of physicality.

Nowadays rival teammates hug each other and all that crap. GTFOH.

I hear that argument but I also consider the fact that guys are more skilled, bigger faster and stronger now across positions. Just natural sports evolution. Jordan was considered a absolute freak in his era. Rightfully so. But we’ve had guys like Vince come around. Prime Derrick rose was something the league had never seen at that size. You have Brodie In OKC. All who play above the rim. Point is yes the era Jordan played in was played different. More inside the arc play. Now because of a guy like tony kukoch, then Dirk the games is more skilled then it has ever been. Bigs play on the perimeter. Bron, KD, giannis would be bigger than a lot of the bigs from the 90s. Saying the game was different is one thing. That’s true. But saying the players were just better goes against all thinking. It makes no sense. The players are better now across the board.

See I respect this. You came with facts. I’m for sure not putting bird above lebron tho. Lebron at his athletic peak was a better scorer and defender.
The magic argument is dicey. I’ll Take it back to lebron to Miami.... Most, including me thought lebron would be a 22-24 ppg with 6-RBs 6 ***. guy because of the fact wade and bosh were on par to carry the load. But through those 4 years bron became a better more efficient scorer along with the overall game. Then you add his improvement defensively in Miami...then he brought that all to Cleveland. That 6-7 year stretch in my opinion put him ahead of magic imo. If he wins a ring in LA as the lead guy he cements himself along side Jordan as the best non bigs to ever play. My list assumes he will

Non big top 5
1a MJ
1b Bron
2 magic
3 Kobe
4 bird
5A KD (nipping at birds heels tho)
5b Giannis( if he gets a jumper and rings, could surpass Kobe at 3 imo)

I DIDNT PUT KD IN MY TOP 5 ILL SHOW YOU THE WAY KID

Hahahaha go to bed jennifer

Advertisement
I hear that argument but I also consider the fact that guys are more skilled, bigger faster and stronger now across positions. Just natural sports evolution. Jordan was considered a absolute freak in his era. Rightfully so. But we’ve had guys like Vince come around. Prime Derrick rose was something the league had never seen at that size. You have Brodie In OKC. All who play above the rim. Point is yes the era Jordan played in was played different. More inside the arc play. Now because of a guy like tony kukoch, then Dirk the games is more skilled then it has ever been. Bigs play on the perimeter. Bron, KD, giannis would be bigger than a lot of the bigs from the 90s. Saying the game was different is one thing. That’s true. But saying the players were just better goes against all thinking. It makes no sense. The players are better now across the board.

If you like Derrick Rose, you'll love Grant Hill, who played in the 90s. (Also one of the great 'men' to play in the NBA.

Players are most certainly not bigger than they used to be. Especially at Center and Power Forward. If anything they are smaller.

I would argue that they are 'better' because of the way the game is. Its the same argument with Tom Brady vs. Joe Montana. If Tom Brady had done to him what those QB's of that era had done to them, he would already be retired.

In a tougher era, those guys would flourish in todays era. Its like running a mile in a pack. Lets say you run a 8 minute mile in a 40 pound pack, but guys dont have to run in a pack today clocking 6 minute miles.

You cant just say, "Well, look at the numbers, clearly todays guys are better than past guys."

In todays game, there is defensive 3 seconds, no hand checking, no charge zones and double technicals for two guys staring at each other. This was NOT the case in 1995.

Its two completely different eras. We've taken Euro ball and Americanized it.

If you like Derrick Rose, you'll love Grant Hill, who played in the 90s. (Also one of the great 'men' to play in the NBA.

Players are most certainly not bigger than they used to be. Especially at Center and Power Forward. If anything they are smaller.

I would argue that they are 'better' because of the way the game is. Its the same argument with Tom Brady vs. Joe Montana. If Tom Brady had done to him what those QB's of that era had done to them, he would already be retired.

In a tougher era, those guys would flourish in todays era. Its like running a mile in a pack. Lets say you run a 8 minute mile in a 40 pound pack, but guys dont have to run in a pack today clocking 6 minute miles.

You cant just say, "Well, look at the numbers, clearly todays guys are better than past guys."
Grant hill was 6”6 andwas in the mold of Jordan man..Derrick rose at 6”3 playing above the rim was never seen b4

In todays game, there is defensive 3 seconds, no hand checking, no charge zones and double technicals for two guys staring at each other. This was NOT the case in 1995.

It’s not just the numbers bro. It’s watching the game and how versatile the players are. The game position-less now.

Advertisement
Grant hill was 6”6 andwas in the mold of Jordan man..Derrick rose at 6”3 playing above the rim was never seen b4

A.I.?

Don't TAlk to Me ABoUT.....PRACTICE! xD

Incidentally, I am a big Derrick Rose fan. Very reputable guy.

It's okay to disagree. Its just I remember waking up in my house after playing a game in college, with a huge lump on the side of my head where someone bow'd me, because the other guy got position for a rebound and made me pay for it. Wasn't mad at him either; because I would've done the same thing to him.

I don't see that physicality in the game anymore. I don't see guys talking trash. And for me, it was an essential part of the game that I hardly recognize it in todays NBA.

Last edited:
You put giannis over clyde drexler

Over wade

Over iverson

Over oscar

Tracy mcgrady

So so many others, its okay l39ron ill show you the way

Over ray allen...

And the 80's were even tougher. 7 footers all over the place. DD was a killer when you visited his area. AG, RP AJ. PE, R Sampson 7'4 with a bunch of others, then you have the bad man from Detroit. I can see him hammering James like he did Bird. Then right after that Mahorn would hit him just as hard. After all that Rodman would steal his balls. LMAO The young people watching the game today don't have a clue about mental toughness of the 80's. It took 7 years for the greatest shooting guard in history to win, he paid his dues finally won in the 90's. Lebron has had it easy. This was 80's BB. Labron would think twice about going inside. lol This is what you do when you can't keep up with LA, I think this was in game 4 in LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Watch how they played Bird at the end. They were all ove him, lol. Terra, you're right in todays game Bird would be a big scorer along with a few others. I forgot Walton in the 7 ft range. Those defenders made it tough.

@BentSteelCane Free Solo is on right now on NatGeo
I just watched Free Solo. Honnold is unbelievable. When I was younger, I did some spelunking with rappelling and prusiking but nothing like the free climbing of Honnold. More like what the cameramen did recording that climb of El Capitan. That climb is as nerve wracking as anything I’ve seen.

Advertisement
A.I.?

Don't TAlk to Me ABoUT.....PRACTICE! xD

Incidentally, I am a big Derrick Rose fan. Very reputable guy.

It's okay to disagree. Its just I remember waking up in my house after playing a game in college, with a huge lump on the side of my head where someone bow'd me, because the other guy got position for a rebound and made me pay for it. Wasn't mad at him either; because I would've done the same thing to him.

I don't see that physicality in the game anymore. I don't see guys talking trash. And for me, it was an essential part of the game that I hardly recognize it in todays NBA.

Yup, I played city ball in the early 80's, we were always bruised and banged up, that was the part that I loved. I also played hockey late at night and street hockey, second best team in NE at the time, we traveled all over. Some of the basketball games were rougher and I had fights playing hockey all the time. lol

I worked in a grocery store when I was about twenty pt, my boss kept bugging me to play street hockey with his team he said they were great. I kept telling him you guys won't compete. Well after a month of nagging me, I finally set it up. Had to get a few of them out of bed on sat morning, they were out all night getting hammered. They show up with all kinds of pads on, helmets elbow pads we show up with shirts, shorts and sneakers, except our goalie. We only dressed up for big reffed or Tournament Games. It was 17 to nothing midway through the second period before they called it off. LMAO Toughest bunch of pricks on our team ever. I thought for sure he was going to fire me. lol

Yup, I played city ball in the early 80's, we were always bruised and banged up, that was the part that I loved. I also played hockey late at night and street hockey, second best team in NE at the time, we traveled all over. Some of the basketball games were rougher and I had fights playing hockey all the time. lol

I worked in a grocery store when I was about twenty pt, my boss kept bugging me to play street hockey with his team he said they were great. I kept telling him you guys won't compete. Well after a month of nagging me, I finally set it up. Had to get a few of them out of bed on sat morning, they were out all night getting hammered. They show up with all kinds of pads on, helmets elbow pads we show up with shirts, shorts and sneakers, except our goalie. We only dressed up for big reffed or Tournament Games. It was 17 to nothing midway through the second period before they called it off. LMAO Toughest bunch of pricks on our team ever. I thought for sure he was going to fire me. lol

Hahaha, good stuff.

As a kid, hockey always interested me (I wanted to play defense ala Scott Stevens), but rural Florida doesn't exactly have a flourishing hockey scene. xD

Watch how they played Bird at the end. They were all ove him, lol. Terra, you're right in todays game Bird would be a big scorer along with a few others. I forgot Walton in the 7 ft range. Those defenders made it tough.

Centers in todays NBA dribble better than point guards from that era geeesh

Advertisement
Back