The best athletes ever?

Jo is more of a JR Reid guy and I prefer Billy Owens
Wow, Billy Owens won 4 PA state basketball titles at AAAA, which was the largest schools at the time. 6'9" taking the ball and doing Magic type stuff leading the fast break. What a bust after that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Jordan played in this era with the way D is called, his numbers would be that much more absurd. People here may forget how brutalized he used to get. The bad boys were a hit squad. The knicks were rough also. Barkley was. That was the era. Also, jordan averaged 50%+ fg% for most of his career, even while putting up 30+ per game and getting hacked left and riht.

Wilt was great no doubt, but he did it against a lot white stiffs much of his life. But he was probably the most gifted athletic 7 footer of all time. That being said If I had to start a team in a draft my first pick would be Jabbar, that sky hook was **** deadly. He was unstoppable when you ****ed him off. He would be my first pick every time. Wilt would not have been as dominate in the 80's where there were guys as big as him on many teams. I agree his records will never be beat.

No, the NBA was NOT just a bunch of short white guys when Wilt played. That was back in the 40s. Also, there were far fewer short players when Wilt played. Nate "Tiny" Archibald was 6'1". Now, if 6'1" is "Tiny", then you have to wonder what average was. He was one of the shortest, if not THE shortest guy in the game. There were a lot of taller guys when Wilt played.
If Jordan played in this era with the way D is called, his numbers would be that much more absurd. People here may forget how brutalized he used to get. The bad boys were a hit squad. The knicks were rough also. Barkley was. That was the era. Also, jordan averaged 50%+ fg% for most of his career, even while putting up 30+ per game and getting hacked left and riht.
You think Jordan had it rough. The stuff they did to Wilt would make you cringe. If HE played with the modern rules.......

No, the NBA was NOT just a bunch of short white guys when Wilt played. That was back in the 40s. Also, there were far fewer short players when Wilt played. Nate "Tiny" Archibald was 6'1". Now, if 6'1" is "Tiny", then you have to wonder what average was. He was one of the shortest, if not THE shortest guy in the game. There were a lot of taller guys when Wilt played.

You think Jordan had it rough. The stuff they did to Wilt would make you cringe. If HE played with the modern rules.......
Meh. Wilt couldnt hit free throws so it didnt really matter. They were hacking no matter what.

Advertisement
back to this topic Hey, best athletes are SURGEONS. being on their feet, the stress, trying to save this person, save his life and not waiver. the best ATHLETE ARE SURGEONS. if it wasnt for the best athlete, the athletes would not survive. meaning SURGEONS. best athletes.

Advertisement
Meh. Wilt couldnt hit free throws so it didnt really matter. They were hacking no matter what.
Yeah, that wasn't his strength. Funny though, he owns the record for most FTs made in a single game, hitting 28 or 32.

Opportunity knocked.
Yeah, for the life of me I don't know how he with 28 of 32. I saw his free throw shooting, and it was indeed horrid. Honestly, his form was so bad I am pretty shocked he even got anywhere near 50%. He could shoot from the floor, but that line was a real problem.

Still, he was the most athletic big man to ever play anything. The story about him picking up Artis Gilmore and moving him where he wanted him is crazy. He just picked up one of the biggest, strongest men in the game and put him down where he wanted him.

Yeah, for the life of me I don't know how he with 28 of 32. I saw his free throw shooting, and it was indeed horrid. Honestly, his form was so bad I am pretty shocked he even got anywhere near 50%. He could shoot from the floor, but that line was a real problem.

Still, he was the most athletic big man to ever play anything. The story about him picking up Artis Gilmore and moving him where he wanted him is crazy. He just picked up one of the biggest, strongest men in the game and put him down where he wanted him.
You may not recall shaq in high school. He was as athletic as wilt, imo. Could take a ball from end to end, gracefully.

Advertisement
Yeah, that wasn't his strength. Funny though, he owns the record for most FTs made in a single game, hitting 28 or 32.
Something clicked for him that day. If he was a 50% free throw shooter generally, the odds of him going 28-32 are really fockkin low.

You may not recall shaq in high school. He was as athletic as wilt, imo. Could take a ball from end to end, gracefully.
Oh I remember Shaq, and his high school abilities. He was insane indeed.

Wilt, as a high schooler, beat the reigning NCAA MVP in a game so badly, the dude quit basketball. He figured if this was a high school player, he didn't want to play in the NBA. Thing is, Wilt probably would have done that to every NBA player as well.

Somewhere there is a video of Wilt blocking a shot that has to be 13'+ in the air. Just insane that he had the vertical he did at 7'1".

Advertisement
Oh I remember Shaq, and his high school abilities. He was insane indeed.

Wilt, as a high schooler, beat the reigning NCAA MVP in a game so badly, the dude quit basketball. He figured if this was a high school player, he didn't want to play in the NBA. Thing is, Wilt probably would have done that to every NBA player as well.

Somewhere there is a video of Wilt blocking a shot that has to be 13'+ in the air. Just insane that he had the vertical he did at 7'1".
Wilt had a high jump and more refined inside game. Imo shaq had more ball control skills, open court dribbling, etc., as a high schooler.

Wilt had a high jump ad more ref8ned 8nsode game. Imo shaq had more ball control skills, open court dribbling, etc., as a high schooler.
Hard to say. Wilt did lead the league in assists once, so he had some ball skills as well.

Never said short white guys but almost all of them were much shorter than Wilt and many of them were white stiffs compared to the 80's+ players. We all know why there were too many white stiffs, no need hashing that up. We can thank Spencer Haywood for changing things for the better around 72. I see him at the gym all the time, he looks great. Have you ever stood next to a real 7 footer? You could be 6'6 and still look short next to them. Our good college teams could beat those early 60 teams minus Wilt. I've seen Tiny play many times, there have been guys like Mugsy that were much shorter and could still dunk.

Jordan did have it rough he played in the 80's. Wilt brushed those guys off like bugs in the 60's. He had very few guys that could compete with him, still probably the best physical big man of all time, we'll never know though. Wish he got to play with the best players.

Wilt had a high jump and more refined inside game. Imo shaq had more ball control skills, open court dribbling, etc., as a high schooler.
I've seen Wilt dribble all the way down court and dunk it on film in a game, would have loved to see him play against the modern day big men, probably still would have dominated them with his insane jumping ability. Watch the block he had on my last post of him. Insane, every bit of 13ft. After watching more of him again I think I might trade him for Jabbar, lol. Update. 50% free throw shooter, hmm the exact reason I like Jabbar over Shaq.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back