The Bank (camp edition 8/10)

View as article
Lots of “IFs” on this roster. Manny collected some talent but the lack of development has hurt. Last P5 HC to win their division year 1? Doesn’t happen often.

I expect Miami to compete, but the CB, OL, WR, LB & DE rooms are below average compared to elites. Defense couldn’t even tackle QBs in the open field last season. Unless TVD goes inferno 9 wins seems to be ceiling.

Ryan Day won his division in Year 1.
Justin Fuente won his division in Year 1.
Clay Helton won his division in Year 1.
Jim McElwain won his division in Year 1.

Weak excuse. I don't think anyone sane expects a playoff berth. But winning the Coastal should ALWAYS be the floor here. And that's no different now. Anything less than that is failure.

Advertisement
Not comparing the two and I agree with you. It was just a joke bro

1660147773128.png

Advertisement
I have no knowledge on Campbell other than what Mario was quoted in an interview last week.

He said he expects Campbell to be one of the best in the conference and in the country.

I don't know if that's just motivation for Campbell, but Mario wouldn't say it if he didn't believe it.

We'll know by the end of camp where things stand.

I expect Campbell to be at one of the tackle spots.

Right or wrong I can’t get that Florida game out of my mind every time I think of Campbell.

Why are you taking it as him getting tossed out? If he’s gonna get passed (he probably will) it’s on him and the guy behind him is better
I’m talking about by the fan base. I also mean other teams make lesser guys into stars. Just never made sense to me.

Advertisement
I'm not optimistic on Zion's return. I'd rather him not play or st least not start against AtM.

He's missing the entire Fall camp. There's no way he could play at his best that early in the season without camp. He's missing out on a lot because in-season practice is not the same as Fall camp practice.

He'll be most needed against the ACC, especially Clemson. I'm not expecting much @AtM.

It's like a world champion boxer coming off an injury. You don't want him fighting a championship contender so soon after his return. Rushing Zion back could be detrimental to himself and the team.
The key is him being back for Southern Miss.

If not, if he’s as good as advertised and T8&4 is the game, if Mario and Alex trust him to be out there, then I am fine with that despite the good point concerns you bring up.

IMO you're reading too much into it. If you're healthy enough to play, you're healthy enough to play. If you're not, you're not. I don't think you risk injury more if it's against a certain opponent. Now, if you are talking more on just the time side of things, then I'm with you. Meaning, hey, this guy is ready, but we're playing Bethune, let's keep him on the bike another week and get his conditioning up, continue to strengthen the knee, etc., I'm on board. But he's not more likely to get injured vs A&M than he is vs Middle Tennessee State just because A&M has better athletes. He still needs to be able to move, bend, explode, chop, plant, push, etc., regardless of who he's playing against.

If his knee feels good by 9/17, you play him against A&M. Ideally he's ready before then at least has a game under his belt before that week, but this dude has been a starter for 4 years. He knows what he's doing. If he's healthy, you play him.
NO. Not even close. Being healthy doesn't mean he's going play at championship form.

You said, "If his knee feels good by 9/17,,,,," Are you kidding me? What does his knee feeling good have to do with performance? He's missing the entire Fall camp. He's not going to be at his best no matter what you say.

It's like a track athlete who misses an entire month before the Olympics with a surgery on their knee and hasn't run in a month. Just because they feel good doesn't mean they're going to perform at their best in the most important event. You should lower your expectations.

As I stated, I wouldn't start him against AtM. At best, I'd bring him in a few series and see where he's at. If he holds up, you leave him in. You're not going to know that until he's taking live action. You can't plan on him being the starter against an elite defense.

Advertisement
On the other site he who shall not be named said Jacurri would be better off switching to WR and that in essence he is not a QB. Are you hearing the same thing? I find it hard to believe the coaches are out on this kid after one spring and 4 fall practices. Any insight you have on him would be appreciated.
Switching QB's to WR, WR to CB and DE to DT is a CIS Tradition. Our History is rich for this. I'm sure Jucurri to TE is next.

NO. Not even close. Being healthy doesn't mean he's going play at championship form.

You said, "If his knee feels good by 9/17,,,,," Are you kidding me? What does his knee feeling good have to do with performance? He's missing the entire Fall camp. He's not going to be at his best no matter what you say.

It's like a track athlete who misses an entire month before the Olympics with a surgery on their knee and hasn't run in a month. Just because they feel good doesn't mean they're going to perform at their best in the most important event. You should lower your expectations.

As I stated, I wouldn't start him against AtM. At best, I'd bring him in a few series and see where he's at. If he holds up, you leave him in. You're not going to know that until he's taking live action. You can't plan on him being the starter against an elite defense.

Thankfully, you're not making the decision. I'd be shocked if he doesn't start in College Station. And if/when he starts, I expect him to play well. So will he, so will Mario, so will Mirabal. I'll just leave it at that.

Advertisement
I’m not saying DMoney is wrong … but that surprised me. He’s got four highly touted, experienced backs ahead of him. Who have all shown flashes … dunno about a TF jumping all four and becoming “the guy” in that room by years end.
That means he's that **** good that's all everyone needs to know

Give me the burst and speed at RB.....not just the speed or a slow guy and a guy that can break arm tackle and not lose a step. If Citizen is that good which it seems like it he will pass everyone or should. He has the look of a different RB when u see him and he just got here.

Right or wrong I can’t get that Florida game out of my mind every time I think of Campbell.
Thankfully, you're not making the decision. I'd be shocked if he doesn't start in College Station. And if/when he starts, I expect him to play well. So will he, so will Mario, so will Mirabal. I'll just leave it at that.
You act like we don't have anyone else capable. You talk desperate. He's going to be rusty. He won't be at his best. He will have missed all the reps of Fall camp.

I'd rather plan around a known commodity than something unknown. Bring him along slowly.

Without playing a game and in just one off season Mario has created depth and competition. We may not have the top end talent across the board to compete at that elite level but if we get off to a fast start the first 6-7 games this programs turnaround is going to be even quicker then some expected. One of the hallmarks of those great Miami teams were how intense practices were and how sometimes the unknown or lightly recruited guys were the ones who became special. Really going to be an interesting year.

Advertisement
Back