The Bank (8/15) (Camp Edition)

Most of the criticism with Dawson is from his time at Kentucky. They were SEC bottom feeders when he got there.

No talent facing the best defenses in the country. Not sure you can draw too many conclusions from his stint there.
He had one season at Kentucky, under a coach who purposely wants a slow, run based offense, with a team full of garbage. He did go to Southern Miss for three years after that and had really good offenses in two out of the three years. So it’s not like he’s done nothing at all without Holgerson.

Advertisement
People here continue to sleep on Deen because he’s not massive. Dude was a beast at Purdue while playing against the biggest OL’s every week. He’s quick with great hands , quickness and high level IQ. He knows how to use his body and is normally a step ahead. Just go watch his Michigan film.
And Penn State film. Both OLs as good or better than any we face this season IMO

Advertisement
People here continue to sleep on Deen because he’s not massive. Dude was a beast at Purdue while playing against the biggest OL’s every week. He’s quick with great hands , quickness and high level IQ. He knows how to use his body and is normally a step ahead. Just go watch his Michigan film.
Deen reminds me of Aaron Donald. Very similar measurables.

Donald - 6'1", 280 lbs
Deen - 6'2" 280 lbs

I'm not saying Deen is Donald. My point is that you don't need to be 300 lbs+ to defeat blocks and win upfront.

He has a lot of experience playing against bigger offensive linemen.

I'm expecting a great season from Deen.

- FSU again they will be tough, especially that run game but I will not expect Travis to throw the ball all that well on us. That game will come down to who’s heading into that week with momentum. Gives me 2009 vibes where it’s more of a shootout rather than a defensive battle.
Their receivers have size as well. Going up against DPJ it might not be pretty.

Advertisement
The physical OL with downhill running games do not play in our favor vs. with Texas A&M, Clemson, and FSU. All 3 will try to line up and punish us in the run game.
I'm not impressed with FSU or Clemson's OL. Clemson's OL is the weakest link on their team this year.

FSU's OL is serviceable, but it doesn't impress me either. They ran counter on us all night that Steele never adjusted for and should have been fired the next day. Couple that with guys quitting and FSU's OL looked like Alabama or UGA.

They look better than what they are because of their scheme and the threat of Travis running the ball. Travis helps the RB get so many yards because you have to account for him. I expect their running game to take a big step back next year when Travis is gone.

We have the best OL in the ACC. I think by year's end, our OL will be one of the top OL's in the nation.

I'm back from vacation and still getting my legs under me. But here is the latest. For convenience, I've separated the recruiting scoop (available here) from the team scoop. This is the latest from Greentree:

- After an uneven beginning to camp, QB Tyler Van Dyke has begun to turn it on. I am told he's looked unbelievable the last ten days and is really blossoming in the new offense.

- The buzz on QB Emory Williams is real, and he is pushing hard for the backup spot. The stock on QB Jacurri Brown is down after a bad scrimmage, but these things change quickly and some of his best attributes don't show without QBs going live. This is an ongoing battle.

- In the past, when I focused on RB Mark Fletcher and RB Ajay Allen on the Bank or the Podcast, some folks felt I was ignoring the more experienced talent. But there was a reason I focused on those two- they have been the two best backs all offseason and flashed huge in the scrimmage. Of course, the true test for a running back is the game, but both of these guys are generating buzz with coaches and players.

- Miami is extremely pleased with the first-team OL after the scrimmage. The next three up are likely OT Matthew McCoy, OT Samson Okunlola and OG Logan Sagapolu. I've talked about McCoy a bunch in the past, and the hype from the Hecht is only building. He is one of the biggest OL on the team and has even played some tight end with numbers down due to (minor) soft tissue injuries. They think McCoy, Mauigoa, Samson and Kinsler all have big NFL futures if they keep working. The biggest concern with the OL remains backup center.

- Wide receiver still lacks a proven #1 but is an improved group. The clear top three are Colbie Young, Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George. George is having his most consistent camp of his career and is clearly feeling the competition. If he stays strong off the field, he could be in for a big year. The next two names to watch are Tyler Harrell (speedy with inconsistent but improving hands) and RayRay Joseph (still working hard on his hands as a former RB, but deadly after the catch).

- Leonard Taylor is having a very strong camp. Branson Deen is a high-motor, twitchy player who causes a lot of disruption. Our weakness up front will be big OLs and physical running games. Our strength will be the interior pass rush. Akeem Mesidor, Nyjalik Kelly and Reuben Bain are the top names to know on the edge, although Jayden Wayne is flashing more consistently than spring and pressing for real playing time. If Joshua Horton had been here in spring, he may have already been in the two-deep. Ahmad Moten is a legitimate talent but needs more consistency.

- Competition has elevated the linebacker room. Francisco Maugoia is an unquestioned starter and KJ Cloyd and Wesley Bissainthe are battling hard. Guys like Corey Flagg and Keontra Smith are playing their best ball since the new regime took over and look to provide solid depth. Of the true freshman, I'm told Popo Aguirre and Marcelles Pulliam have been very consistent with Aguirre the furthest ahead.

- Defensive back is the biggest area to watch on defense. Jaden Davis has been very consistent and profiles the best at nickel. He will play a lot. The Brown Brothers (Devonte and Damari) have the inside track to start outside, with Daryl Porter pushing them. Tecory Couch is also in the mix in the nickel and outside. Jadais Richard, like Davis, is likely going to serve as a Swiss Army knife to plug holes in multiple spots. He may be our third best option at safety. Don't read much into James Williams not playing the first snaps at safety- he is a starter along with Kam Kinchens.

- In general, I continue to hear great things about Lance Guidry. He is going to cause a lot of problems for ACC offenses.
I love damari but I want Richards on the field as much as possible as well

He had one season at Kentucky, under a coach who purposely wants a slow, run based offense, with a team full of garbage. He did go to Southern Miss for three years after that and had really good offenses in two out of the three years. So it’s not like he’s done nothing at all without Holgerson.
Agreed i just think its a small sample size

Advertisement
Marshall for guidry
Houston for dawson

Both of their units were #1 in the G5
samuel l jackson shit negro thats all you had to say GIF

Deen reminds me of Aaron Donald. Very similar measurables.

Donald - 6'1", 280 lbs
Deen - 6'2" 280 lbs

I'm not saying Deen is Donald. My point is that you don't need to be 300 lbs+ to defeat blocks and win upfront.

He has a lot of experience playing against bigger offensive linemen.

I'm expecting a great season from Deen.

So now Deen is the best defensive player on earth? Holy cow I want whatever drugs y’all are on.

Advertisement
As bad as last year was the Doh’nofrio defenses were the darkest times for me.

Go Canes!
Last year was the absolute nadir for me as a UM fan. The worst season under fat Al was still better than last year. I had season tickets through Golden’s entire tenure and the only game I ever walked out of at halftime was Clemson. Last year I left almost every game early.

What am I looking at big dog?

Adjusted EPA per play numbers from all the group of 5 teams last season.

Defensive numbers are top to bottom. Meaning, the best defenses in adjusted EPA per play (a metric used to determine how good you are) are towards the top. Bad defenses towards the bottom. Marshall, with our new DC, is the highest logo on the chart. Meaning they had the best defense in the entire group of 5 last year, per this metric.

Same thing for offense, except numbers are left to right. Meaning, best offenses to the right, worst offenses to the left. The Houston logo, with our new OC, is the furthest logo to the right. Meaning they had the best offense in the entire group of 5 last year, per this metric.

We literally took the coordinator from the best G5 defense and the coordinator from the best G5 offense last season.

You don’t have to sell out to stop the run , it’s about where the pressure comes from versus where the run goes. Guidry is unorthodox , he uses confusion at the los versus say Manny sending everyone, with zero disguise. Which equals to feast or famine. As it’s been said here to nauseam “ Guidry plays with guard rails “. This isn’t some high risk , high reward scheme.
thanks for the clarification Cribby!

Adjusted EPA per play numbers from all the group of 5 teams last season.

Defensive numbers are top to bottom. Meaning, the best defenses in adjusted EPA per play (a metric used to determine how good you are) are towards the top. Bad defenses towards the bottom. Marshall, with our new DC, is the highest logo on the chart. Meaning they had the best defense in the entire group of 5 last year, per this metric.

Same thing for offense, except numbers are left to right. Meaning, best offenses to the right, worst offenses to the left. The Houston logo, with our new OC, is the furthest logo to the right. Meaning they had the best offense in the entire group of 5 last year, per this metric.

We literally took the coordinator from the best G5 defense and the coordinator from the best G5 offense last season.
So, what you're saying is 15-0

Advertisement
Back