The Bank (8/15) (Camp Edition)

Advertisement
These were the top defenses in FBS against the rush last year. I used yards per carry as the metric since that rules out teams that play purposely slow on offense in order to limit their opponents' possessions.

1. James Madison
2. Iowa
3. Georgia
4. Marshall (Lance Guidry)
5. Wisconsin
6. Navy
7. Iowa State
8. San Jose State
9. Clemson
10. Michigan

The idea that you can't stop the run without 350 lb defensive tackles a myth.

Miami was 68th last year.
Give me Miami DL who can get off blocks. RJ McIntosh and Willis, neither 300 pounds, 2 best defenses in 2017 and 18, 2020-2021 we have big Jon Ford and Miller etc, 800 yards given up to UNC.

I think tvd has a good year but 2021 was probably his peak, i don’t think it’s likely he’ll have a stretch like that again and hopefully he doesn’t have to for us to win.

Give me Miami DL who can get off blocks. RJ McIntosh and Willis, neither 300 pounds, 2 best defenses in 2017 and 18, 2020-2021 we have big Jon Ford and Miller etc, 800 yards given up to UNC.
Cant forget norton for 2017 tho.

I'm back from vacation and still getting my legs under me. But here is the latest. For convenience, I've separated the recruiting scoop (available here) from the team scoop. This is the latest from Greentree:

- After an uneven beginning to camp, QB Tyler Van Dyke has begun to turn it on. I am told he's looked unbelievable the last ten days and is really blossoming in the new offense.

- The buzz on QB Emory Williams is real, and he is pushing hard for the backup spot. The stock on QB Jacurri Brown is down after a bad scrimmage, but these things change quickly and some of his best attributes don't show without QBs going live. This is an ongoing battle.

- In the past, when I focused on RB Mark Fletcher and RB Ajay Allen on the Bank or the Podcast, some folks felt I was ignoring the more experienced talent. But there was a reason I focused on those two- they have been the two best backs all offseason and flashed huge in the scrimmage. Of course, the true test for a running back is the game, but both of these guys are generating buzz with coaches and players.

- Miami is extremely pleased with the first-team OL after the scrimmage. The next three up are likely OT Matthew McCoy, OT Samson Okunlola and OG Logan Sagapolu. I've talked about McCoy a bunch in the past, and the hype from the Hecht is only building. He is one of the biggest OL on the team and has even played some tight end with numbers down due to (minor) soft tissue injuries. They think McCoy, Mauigoa, Samson and Kinsler all have big NFL futures if they keep working. The biggest concern with the OL remains backup center.

- Wide receiver still lacks a proven #1 but is an improved group. The clear top three are Colbie Young, Xavier Restrepo and Jacolby George. George is having his most consistent camp of his career and is clearly feeling the competition. If he stays strong off the field, he could be in for a big year. The next two names to watch are Tyler Harrell (speedy with inconsistent but improving hands) and RayRay Joseph (still working hard on his hands as a former RB, but deadly after the catch).

- Leonard Taylor is having a very strong camp. Branson Deen is a high-motor, twitchy player who causes a lot of disruption. Our weakness up front will be big OLs and physical running games. Our strength will be the interior pass rush. Akeem Mesidor, Nyjalik Kelly and Reuben Bain are the top names to know on the edge, although Jayden Wayne is flashing more consistently than spring and pressing for real playing time. If Joshua Horton had been here in spring, he may have already been in the two-deep. Ahmad Moten is a legitimate talent but needs more consistency.

- Competition has elevated the linebacker room. Francisco Maugoia is an unquestioned starter and KJ Cloyd and Wesley Bissainthe are battling hard. Guys like Corey Flagg and Keontra Smith are playing their best ball since the new regime took over and look to provide solid depth. Of the true freshman, I'm told Popo Aguirre and Marcelles Pulliam have been very consistent with Aguirre the furthest ahead.

- Defensive back is the biggest area to watch on defense. Jaden Davis has been very consistent and profiles the best at nickel. He will play a lot. The Brown Brothers (Devonte and Damari) have the inside track to start outside, with Daryl Porter pushing them. Tecory Couch is also in the mix in the nickel and outside. Jadais Richard, like Davis, is likely going to serve as a Swiss Army knife to plug holes in multiple spots. He may be our third best option at safety. Don't read much into James Williams not playing the first snaps at safety- he is a starter along with Kam Kinchens.

- In general, I continue to hear great things about Lance Guidry. He is going to cause a lot of problems for ACC offenses.
D, is there any updated news on Cyrus Moss?

Advertisement
Oh No GIF

I think tvd has a good year but 2021 was probably his peak, i don’t think it’s likely he’ll have a stretch like that again and hopefully he doesn’t have to for us to win.
Don't expect him to have that 300 yard 3 TD streak. Don't even think he gets the opportunity in this offense to have a chance to do that very often

I think the overall offense will be better than 2021 because of the run game and OL. Lashlee didn't produce that... didn't have the OL or RB room capable of it either. Probably best that we're not just asking Tyler to win the game for us and rely on him gunslinging to even move the ball.

I think there are levels to "feet" and while he may not be at Mauigoa (I'm really how many are) or Tinsler (think people are going to be wow'd) levels, Cooper has disproportionately light feet for someone who likely played at or above 350 pounds last season.

I expect him to hold that RG spot this year. If healthy, that would put him at double digit career starts half way through his true Soph season.
That is not what I am saying. Dropping 30-plus pounds should improve his laternal quickness and most definitely his endurance.

Having double digit starts is great but Donaldson, Scaife and Williams had tons of start and at some point there is a marginal rate of return.

I love Cooper's upside. Looking forward to seeing how much better he is on September 1st. I know what we have in Lee and Cohen. Hoping Cooper is close to them and if yes then as I stated we are cooking with gas on the IOL.

Don't expect him to have that 300 yard 3 TD streak. Don't even think he gets the opportunity in this offense to have a chance to do that very often

I think the overall offense will be better than 2021 because of the run game and OL. Lashlee didn't produce that... didn't have the OL or RB room capable of it either. Probably best that we're not just asking Tyler to win the game for us and rely on him gunslinging to even move the ball.
There’s a ton more talent on this offense than there was in 2021. That team had zero run blocking and one scholarship running back for half a season. They needed Tyler to go off in order to even have a shot to win games. This year, we need Tyler to be great but he doesn’t have to do it all. The line and running backs really make the offense multi dimensional.

Advertisement

I think it would be foolish for anyone to expect that streak again. Wasnt that only done by him and Joe Burrow at LSU? And Burrow was in one of the most prolific and insane offenses ever to play the game of CFB.

I think it would be foolish for anyone to expect that streak again. Wasnt that only done by him and Joe Burrow at LSU? And Burrow was in one of the most prolific and insane offenses ever to play the game of CFB.
I definitely don't remember 6 in a row or 7 whatever it was.

I'm saying I don't expect a streak of even 3. He just won't have to sling it like that

Advertisement
I don’t think a lot of people realize exactly what TVD did in 2021 and how rare that is. Especially when the guy who does it wasn’t even the starter until the fourth game of the year

I don’t think a lot of people realize exactly what TVD did in 2021 and how rare that is. Especially when the guy who does it wasn’t even the starter until the fourth game of the year

I'm not expecting a streak of 5 straight games of 300+ yards passing, averaging 293 passing yards per game.

But here's the thing. I don't think it was a fluke. Yes he stares down his receivers. Yes, he gets his head up his *** at times when things go wrong. But Tyler can sling that friggin ball. His best receivers were Rambo, Harley and Keyshawn Smith. We've gotta have at least as good top line, and massive amounts more quality depth. Plus our RBs and OL.

So I hope that Tyler still lights up the sky even with a more balanced run/pass attack. Should be less pressure on him and more open guys, especially if the RBs force the defense to respect the run. Only a pass or two to Harrell or Ray Ray could cover a lot of yards.

Coaching Oline isn’t the same as installing,coaching and calling an offense as the main guy.

That’s different, i think dawson has enough experience good and bad to be successful here but its a fair critique to say he hasn’t been successful without dana.

Doesn’t mean he wont be he just hasn’t yet

Most of the criticism with Dawson is from his time at Kentucky. They were SEC bottom feeders when he got there.

No talent facing the best defenses in the country. Not sure you can draw too many conclusions from his stint there.

Advertisement
I'm not expecting a streak of 5 straight games of 300+ yards passing, averaging 293 passing yards per game.

But here's the thing. I don't think it was a fluke. Yes he stares down his receivers. Yes, he gets his head up his *** at times when things go wrong. But Tyler can sling that friggin ball. His best receivers were Rambo, Harley and Keyshawn Smith. We've gotta have at least as good top line, and massive amounts more quality depth. Plus our RBs and OL.

So I hope that Tyler still lights up the sky even with a more balanced run/pass attack. Should be less pressure on him and more open guys, especially if the RBs force the defense to respect the run. Only a pass or two to Harrell or Ray Ray could cover a lot of yards.
I still think they let Tyler sling it 35-40 times a game this year. The difference is we’ll be able to run the ball in the red zone more effectively now.

Advertisement
Back