The Bank (8/15) (Camp Edition)

View as article
One zillion percent. There are 7 layups on this schedule. Cue the masses telling me we can’t make layups. I got it. But a good staff wins those. If we have a good staff, we win those. 8 wins is the absolute floor, and would be a disappointment imo. The ACC is almost a Go5 league. It’s god awful. Winning 9 should be the only expectation.

Bethune
Miami (OH)
Temple
GT
Louisville
UVA
Boston College

All those teams are ******* atrocious, except for Louisville, who is just bad. Not comically awful. You can’t lose to anyone on that list if you’re a good staph.

Win those, and get 1 more out of the other 5. Less than that, we have MAJOR problems.

Of course we could make layups…. We’re a basketball school…😎

Advertisement
@D$ - thanks for the update! Anything with the following:
Citizen - injury, when ready?
Gore - 2nd team or 3rd team?
Stafford - Special Teams starter as Frosh?
C. Smith - anything?
C. Moss - 3rd team?
Who's our kickoff guys and punt returners?

Thanks as always...

This is bull**** (nothing personal, just saying). Run defense is scheme and want-to. If you told me we play Wisconsin 12 times, maybe I buy this. But we don’t. Our kids can hold up against this trash juice ACC schedule.

Marshall had the #4 run defense in the country last year by YPG allowed and YPC allowed. They were e-leet against the run. Were they some massive front that couldn’t get pushed around?

They gave up 131 yards on 37 attempts against Notre Dame. 3.51 yards a carry. I think Marshall was slightly undersized up front compared to Notre Dame.

Georgia State ran for over 2500 yards as a team last year. They had 4 different kids that ran for over 450 yards. Against Marshall, they had 42 carries for 62 yards LOL.

Scout what the opposing team likes to do in the run game and fill holes with bodies. I’m not worried in the least bit about the season going in the ******* because we line up 7 in the box and just get washed out by Georgia Tech and UNC and NC State and Louisville. Come on. I wish we had 1 massive space eater inside too. But if the health cooperates, I’m not running and hiding from the run defense.

I know all about Guidry and how the defensive scheme is. I've got a buddy on staff there and watched most of their games last year. We aren't going to be gashed for 500+

ATM, FSU, Clemson, UNC are the games i'm worried about when it comes to the run defense. ATM is going to be the litmus test.

Advertisement
No it’s not lol. Out of guys who played they lose jackson who was 315-320. Moten is 320. LT is bigger than last year. Jhh is bigger. Dean is 290, Horton is 300. So how are they smaller?

You think Moten and Horton will play meaningful snaps this year? I think both are a year away

Advertisement

Bain is going to end up a 295 pound Reggie White type inside/outside guy when it’s all said and done. He’s going to be a menace.

Disappointing to not hear Harvey or Chantz mentioned but Mesidor, Kelly and Bain are on another level with Wayne chasing.

Just hoping Moss can grow into an effective P5 DE.

Agreed on the smaller DL but I think the Talent of Taylor/Deen is better than we’ve had since Norton/McIntosh their ability to disrupt in this Guidry defense I think will surprise a lot of people. This is Taylor’s $$$ year and he knows it.

For CB I’d argue Davonte Brown has been our CB1 for the most part. It’s a good problem to have where our CB2 is a question mark due to high competition between Damari/Ja’Dais/Daryl Porter & Tecory Couch (although it seems Damari is taking the reigns)
Damari wasn’t here in spring ball correct? Really impressive he comes in and seems to have momentum to be a starter. Would be pretty cool to have brothers be on the field together

Advertisement
Yes Moten will who playing over him? Him and jhh will likely backup LT and dean. Horton not sure

Moten probably DT 6 this year. You forgot Lichstenhowever his last name is spelled. Plus Mesidor going inside on 3rd down. Forgot about Thomas Gore too.

Don't think he gets much burn unless its in blowouts this year.

I know all about Guidry and how the defensive scheme is. I've got a buddy on staff there and watched most of their games last year. We aren't going to be gashed for 500+

ATM, FSU, Clemson, UNC are the games i'm worried about when it comes to the run defense. ATM is going to be the litmus test.

I think FSU has the best run game of all those teams. I don’t think A&M steamrolls us on the ground with the game being at home and I know it’ll have their full attention.

Moten probably DT 6 this year. You forgot Lichstenhowever his last name is spelled. Plus Mesidor going inside on 3rd down. Forgot about Thomas Gore too.

He is already ahead of those guys. You must not have been following what’s been going on this offseason

Last edited:
Advertisement
So to Recap…2022 Vs 2023

OC - HUGE upgrade
DC - big upgrade

QB - More consistent due to OC
RB - Better size/depth (4 quality starters)
TE - more versatility/better depth
WR - More depth/consistency (better scheme too)
OL - massive upgrade in: Size/Depth/maturity/talent

DE - Big time Upgrade/better depth
DT - similar depth as last year but more maturity
LB - More depth/talent/speed
CB - Better Talent but still questions
S - same as last year except with more improvement

K - Equal if not better due to maturity
P - most likely a downgrade due to Hedley being a top Punter

after this Saturdays scrimmage will tell us a lot but I wasn’t kidding when I said this’ll be like a 2021 Lashlee Offense with a better Run game (and a much more elite OL) and a 2017/2018 Manny Diaz Defense (with more detail)

We have the QB + 4 RBs that have the ability to take over a game + an O-Line that’s 8 Deep and ALSO has the ability to enforce their will + Elite DEs that can absolutely get to the QB & Elite/Experienced safeties in Kinchens + J Williams that can man the back.

+ major improvements at WR/LB?!

Sorry y’all I’m sipping that Kool-Aid…
If Horton, Moten and Campbell (not expecting much of Gore) can step up and take pressure off LT and Deen, our Defense as a whole takes a huge leap.

We will need their contributions because teams are going to test our stoutness right out the gate.

Guys, I’ve said since last year I don’t think Zion plays another down at Miami. That was mostly reading tea leaves and making a judgement on the little bit of info I get.

It feels extremely similar to Karson Ligon with the baseball team.

This is what happens when you rush an underdeveloped Freshman lineman into heavy duty action before he’s ready.

That kid got mauled and his body never recovered.

Very sad and all thanks to the lispy ******’s incompetence.

I disagree. While he may start off with only some snaps a game, I don’t think Lichtenstein or really anyone outside of the top 3 is keeping Moten off the field. By season’s end, I expect he’ll average ~20 snaps per game. I don’t think anyone else on the roster can do what he’s capable of doing this season.

I think FSU has the best run game of all those teams. I don’t think A&M steamrolls us on the ground with the game being at home and I know it’ll have their full attention.
IMO it’s:

1. FSU
2. Clemson
3. UNC
4. A&M
5. Nc State
6. Louisville

As the hardest offenses we will play this year and TBH Nc State will simply be about containing Armstrong and Louisville doesn’t scare me at all (but they’re better than the other 6 offenses we face lol)

- A&M is breaking in a new QB/RB & just lost their TE and outside of Stewart their WRs don’t scare me.

- UNC will have Maye who will be Elite but **** we should’ve beat them last year. They will have the advantage being at home as well.

- Clemson will be tough, they’ve recruited strong for a long time and just brought in Riley who is an Elite OC, we will see how their new QB can perform as this is his first year truly starting.

- FSU again they will be tough, especially that run game but I will not expect Travis to throw the ball all that well on us. That game will come down to who’s heading into that week with momentum. Gives me 2009 vibes where it’s more of a shootout rather than a defensive battle.

Overall I think our offense/defense this year is both good enough to prevent blowouts and at MINIMUM keep us in games up until the 4th Q. After that you just need the ball to bounce your way a couple of times…

Advertisement
Back