The Bank (11/21)

View as article
For those that are crying in this thread about doom and gloom of a top 15 class before portal kids are added….you do realize Miami is ranked 2nd in the ACC class rankings. No excuse to not win this conference. Miami has the talent, the coaching is the question mark along with a QB.

Get a QB and Miami is positioned to win the ACC next year.
Ok

Advertisement
For those that are crying in this thread about doom and gloom of a top 15 class before portal kids are added….you do realize Miami is ranked 2nd in the ACC class rankings. No excuse to not win this conference. Miami has the talent, the coaching is the question mark along with a QB.

Bill Murray Well Its Groundhog Day Again GIF

Wes needs to get in the film room to take that next step. The ability just lacks the mental side of the game. Then you got the entire class from last year. Got to start developing the kids. Out of the 4 LB and Pruitt plus chase smith there is plenty to work with.
This is the issue with most Dade county players and Broward to that extent. They have no football IQ. They win on athleticism from a young age and that is the culture down there.

Advertisement
To put into “context”, this class has more guys ranked outside the top 1000 (5) than Lispy had total (4) in 3 classes. It also has more guys outside the top 700 (9) than Lispy had in his worst year (6). Both of those numbers came for Lispy in his 2019 transition class.

That doesn’t even get into the failure to address positions of urgent need but EVALS BRUH!
You just don't understand how bad it was with Manny. Mario can't be expected to correct all of those issues in only 3 years.

Mario has always closed strong so I don't doubt he has some names he will close and some of the lower-rated kids won't sign. Will still be a massive miss if we don't fix the roster spots we have been under-signing (QB, DT) and quality at more DB.
I think Mario can sell to transfers better coming off this season than he can recruits this late in the game. Realistically looking at two maybe three transfers getting drafted, Cohen, Lee and maybe Deen sneaks in on day 3. Outside of Bain the best and most consistent defender is a transfer. I don’t think you can point to a transfer that has not played better by coming here.

Obviously that doesn’t out sell the Bama’s and big dogs of the world but it’s a start.

Going back to 2014 we’ve only finished outside of the top 3 in ACC recruiting once in Lispy’s 2019 transition class. During that time frame we’ve had Five #2 classes and One #1 class.

Advertisement
Storyline I’ll be following is QB. Are we better off with TVD with another year under Dawson?

Or potentially showing him the door, getting Pratt…but what happens if TVD leaves and Pratt yields a bigger deal and goes somewhere else. FSU and UF could potentially be in the QB market too.

When TVD is healthy and right is Pratt really an upgrade? TVD hasn’t played in the same system yet in his college career. But obvious durability issues and mental challenges with him. Going to be interesting to see how Mario and Zo manage that room.
In the kindest way possible I say, no more TVD please.

Signed,

Peruche

I think people likely fall into one or more of the following when expressing concerns:

1. The class may be high overall, but it is currently light on positions where we are thin
2. If you sort by average (instead of total points) the class is 19th (not to say that volume isn't important, but quality is just as much if not more so)
3. Most believe that the only way Mario is going to overcome his gameday faults is with overwhelming talent and this class isn't shaping up to be that (at least not so far and you seem to agree)
4. Mopers gonna Mope

Personally I think there are some legitimate concerns, but (like usual) it is not all or nothing. I don't believe Miami is where they should be in recruiting compared to where Mario should have them at this point but I don't think they are in 'the world is ending territory' either. Probably going to be another year of underachieving and here's to hoping that doesn't get us stuck in neutral going forward.

I think people likely fall into one or more of the following when expressing concerns:

1. The class may be high overall, but it is currently light on positions where we are thin
2. If you sort by average (instead of total points) the class is 19th (not to say that volume isn't important, but quality is just as much if not more so)
3. Most believe that the only way Mario is going to overcome his gameday faults is with overwhelming talent and this class isn't shaping up to be that (at least not so far and you seem to agree)
4. Mopers gonna Mope

Personally I think there are some legitimate concerns, but (like usual) it is not all or nothing. I don't believe Miami is where they should be in recruiting compared to where Mario should have them at this point but I don't think they are in 'the world is ending territory' either. Probably going to be another year of underachieving and here's to hoping that doesn't get us stuck in neutral going forward.
Clemson and Auburn are currently ranked behind us and are nowhere near full. The ranking is about to get blown out.

I am #1 as to the details and #3 as to the big picture of the program.

Advertisement
That is why I didn't automatically throw him into the money that can be reallocated.

I think he leaves and Rivers kicks inside to center. Still not a huge need to grab an OL in the portal if that happens but we could.

I see it like this just for a visual:
TVD's NIL - $ for $ to a new QB. Should have a high-choice option as long as Mario's reputation doesn't kill it. They have a plan in place and hopefully it works out
Cohen's NIL - $ for $ one of the top DTs in the portal. Should get an all-conference caliber guy
Deen's NIL - $ for $ should land a rotational DT
Taylor's NIL - $ for $ for a starting WR or CB
James' NIL - $ for $ for a starting Safety
Kam's NIL - $ for $ for a rotational Safety and a rotational DT
Lee - Stays or $ for $ goes towards a Nickel/CB. Maybe another portal OL

The rest opening up is pretty much pennies. Use that to go towards freshman, allocating to high performing young guys, etc.

Thanks for doing this its a fascinating way to look at it. Never thought of it this way. It's almost like allocating to stay under the salary cap.

Clemson and Auburn are currently ranked behind us and are nowhere near full. The ranking is about to get blown out.

I am #1 as to the details and #3 as to the big picture of the program.
Yeah... I almost put that there are likely to be other programs that jump Miami, but Mario did close with some surprises the last two years. Will he do it again? I don't know, but I just figured that is a wash right now.

Advertisement
As far as class attrition, hard to speculate but haven’t heard or seen much with

Juan Minaya
Dylan Day
Romanas Frédérique
Vincent Shavers

Isaiah Thomas is injured from what I remember reading, and Nino is our only C prospect
Nino is going to be in this class as long as he wants to be. They really like him.

Thanks for doing this its a fascinating way to look at it. Never thought of it this way. It's almost like allocating to stay under the salary cap.
Yeah, but this also assumes that you have at least the same amount of funds available (I don't know either way if Miami does/doesn't) and that the rate for those players isn't going up (or if it is, your funds are going up proportionally). Miami had a head start on NIL on a lot of programs, but at this point a lot of programs that had issues before seem to have caught up (ex: FSU).

Advertisement
Back