The Bank (11/13)

View as article
Rainbow Wow GIF by Declan McKenna

Just when we’re in a tailspin on the field, the Bank comes along

Advertisement
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dabo make the jump to A&M and start using the portal. Then he can stay true to his Clemson "no portal" philosophy and have A&M as an out.
Only place Dabo is leaving Clemson for is Bama. Clemson put the no Bama clause in his contract, but that isn't stopping him.

Interesting tbh. I hadn’t really considered him bolting for A&M.

We’ve heard Lanning rumors obviously, but I’d expect Kliff Kingsbury, Eli Drinkwitz, Mike Norvell, DeBoer, Elko, Glenn Schumann, Lane Kiffin, heck maybe even Jedd Fisch all to get at least a call to gauge preliminary interest.
There's going to be a take your number and have seat type of line for guys wanting to get to A&M due to the unlimited resources.

I don't see Dabo making that move. He's having enough issues with the "pressure" from the Clemson fans. Going to the SEC while they add back their in state rivals and OU? Nah, not for A&M. He will wait for Bama to come calling.

I appreciate the optimism, but there’s a lot of things here that aren’t givens.

1. We have no idea if Guidry will be retained. LSU will assuredly come calling, so will programs like USC. We’re going to have to pony up cash, and we better.

2. Louisville is winning with an absolute trash QB, but Brohm has a very good defense (usually doesn’t). They’re absolutely a team to watch in ‘24 and will bring in a very good QB with an enticing offensive system / HC with a proven track record on that side of the ball. That’s something we can’t offer as of right now, it’s arguably our toughest game in ‘24 (also on the road).

3. It’s now or never regarding Dabo and the portal usage (or lack thereof). Curious to see what they do in the off-season.

4. FSU will spend a boatload in the portal, they will also be a fascinating case study. They need one dynamite portal class to bridge the gap so that their elite HS class gets acclimated to college ball in ‘24. They’re not in as bad of a position as people make them out to be. It’s a better class than our ‘23 one on paper…

5. If Ghandi is correct, we won’t have continuity at the OC position in ‘24. We cannot string this out like last season and miss out on portal guys because of it. That would be an unmitigated disaster of an approach.

Mario needs to be back-channeling portal guys asap. He also needs to have a plan at OC and DC should Dawson and/or Guidry leave. We cannot string out replacement hires into March. 2024 is too critical to do so.
Louisville is overrated

Advertisement
Advertisement
We absolutely need 3 QBs added to the roster. Going into next year with Emory, Judd and a portal QB isn’t going to cut it
I only put “might” under the assumption we can’t get another QB recruit this year, one who’s more ready to play immediately unlike Emory, Judd, and Jacurri, who were all projects coming in. I’ve seen the whispers on the board about another QB so I’m in wait and see mode.

I really don’t think Jacurri is coming back next year. If he requested a redshirt to improve, he can play now and still keep his redshirt…..but doesn’t sound like he will. That feels like a kid who doesn’t want to risk injury before leaving. I always think about King sitting out before he left Houston. Maybe I’m wrong.

Advertisement
Any update from Ellis Robinson? I heard he was waiting to see how the season went but didn’t know if how the D is playing would compensate for the Ls we’ve taken?

I appreciate the optimism, but there’s a lot of things here that aren’t givens.

1. We have no idea if Guidry will be retained. LSU will assuredly come calling, so will programs like USC. We’re going to have to pony up cash, and we better.

2. Louisville is winning with an absolute trash QB, but Brohm has a very good defense (usually doesn’t). They’re absolutely a team to watch in ‘24 and will bring in a very good QB with an enticing offensive system / HC with a proven track record on that side of the ball. That’s something we can’t offer as of right now, it’s arguably our toughest game in ‘24 (also on the road).

3. It’s now or never regarding Dabo and the portal usage (or lack thereof). Curious to see what they do in the off-season.

4. FSU will spend a boatload in the portal, they will also be a fascinating case study. They need one dynamite portal class to bridge the gap so that their elite HS class gets acclimated to college ball in ‘24. They’re not in as bad of a position as people make them out to be. It’s a better class than our ‘23 one on paper…

5. If Ghandi is correct, we won’t have continuity at the OC position in ‘24. We cannot string this out like last season and miss out on portal guys because of it. That would be an unmitigated disaster of an approach.

Mario needs to be back-channeling portal guys asap. He also needs to have a plan at OC and DC should Dawson and/or Guidry leave. We cannot string out replacement hires into March. 2024 is too critical to do so.

Miami- We need a QB #1. Can't determine OC until Dawson decides he is/isn't the answer for Miami in 2024. DC- loaded so Guidry would be stupid to leave for LSU.

Louisville- Brohm has a track record yet Mario doesn't? 36-34 at Purdue vs 35-13 at Oregon. Brady Allen(Purdue transfer) could be the next starter or could show that Brohm isn't the best at QB selections (Plumber is "trash" and started for him at Purdue).

Clemson- They need WR speed & QB help. No QB in the 2024 class. Two top WR recruits but neither is a burner with Wesco being faster but not sub 10.5.

FSU- Luck will run out at some point. A ton of turnover on the roster as well.

Duke- Elko will have lots of options. The bigger question: does Riley Leonard stay or go to the NFL?

UNC- I expect a big drop-off between Maye, Tez, 3 OL, 5 of front 7, 4 in the safety room gone.

Miami- We need a QB #1. Can't determine OC until Dawson decides he is/isn't the answer for Miami in 2024. DC- loaded so Guidry would be stupid to leave for LSU.

Louisville- Brohm has a track record yet Mario doesn't? 36-34 at Purdue vs 35-13 at Oregon. Brady Allen(Purdue transfer) could be the next starter or could show that Brohm isn't the best at QB selections (Plumber is "trash" and started for him at Purdue).

Clemson- They need WR speed & QB help. No QB in the 2024 class. Two top WR recruits but neither is a burner with Wesco being faster but not sub 10.5.

FSU- Luck will run out at some point. A ton of turnover on the roster as well.

Duke- Elko will have lots of options. The bigger question: does Riley Leonard stay or go to the NFL?

UNC- I expect a big drop-off between Maye, Tez, 3 OL, 5 of front 7, 4 in the safety room gone.
Loaded?

Let’s say Kam, James, LT leave…what makes us “loaded”? Personally think you’re using that term a bit loosely.

Also, I think you’re downplaying a very key point that we as fans always hold steadfast to. It’s a bit hypocritical, as the allure of returning home is always a strong point - I mean we of all fanbases know this. Remember the national writers saying Mario would be stupid to leave Oregon for Miami? We laughed them off because he and others closer to the program know it’s different here. It’s the same for Louisiana kin.

They’ll probably say they’re a DC away from having a CFP-contending team, and have a lot to sell. Meanwhile, we’re desperately trying to scratch and claw to a mere 8 wins with an offense that consistently puts its own defense in tough situations.

Advertisement
Loaded?

Let’s say Kam, James, LT leave…what makes us “loaded”? Personally think you’re using that term a bit loosely.

Also, I think you’re downplaying a very key point that we as fans always hold steadfast to. It’s a bit hypocritical, as the allure of returning home is always a strong point - I mean we of all fanbases know this. Remember the national writers saying Mario would be stupid to leave Oregon for Miami? We laughed them off because he and others closer to the program know it’s different here. It’s the same for Louisiana kin.

They’ll probably say they’re a DC away from having a CFP-contending team, and have a lot to sell. Meanwhile, we’re desperately trying to scratch and claw to a mere 8 wins with an offense that consistently puts its own defense in tough situations.

- Kam, James, LT, Davis (assuming the first 3 go to the NFL)
+ Burroughs, Kelly, Mesidor + freshmen + portal + 1 more year of experience and installing new looks

We’re not winning anything unless we retain Guidry, overhaul our offensive approach, and strike gold in the portal at multiple positions, starting with QB.

And Pratt is bronze.

But, the schedule is absolute cake in 2024, so I’m saying it now. While 10 wins is attainable, 9 is the absolute floor. Anything worse, and Mario deserves to be fired (but won’t).

"We’re not winning anything unless we retain Guidry"

I don't disagree, but I would just add a disclaimer "depending who they hire to replace him"

Advertisement
Back