The Bank (11/1)

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The Bank is back open for business. After winning the battle for Cormani McClain, Miami has momentum heading into a huge recruiting weekend. One point that a source emphasized to me: last year’s late rush (Skinner, Citizen, Moss) wasn’t just the product of Mario’s late hiring. Expect us to emerge or reemerge with big-time kids down the stretch. Let’s go position-by-position to see where we stand:

QB- Jaden Rashada (Pittsburg, CA) and Emory Williams (Milton, FL) are committed. While there are no sure things in recruiting, both look solid as of now.

RB- This is a position where there have been several swings back and forth. Chris Johnson, Jr. (Dillard) Is 5’11, 181 with 10.45 speed and runs inside like the other Chris Johnson (no relation). He was on campus this past weekend. Miami is continuing to recruit Mark Fletcher (American Heritage) and his dad is a Canes fan. Kyron Jones (Charlotte) is an NC State commit with a Miami offer. There is always a chance that we pop up with Cedric Baxter (Orlando) down the stretch. I expect Miami to take one. Chris Johnson Jr. would be my pick as of today, but this one is changing daily. I’d also keep my eye out for an impact Portal addition.

WR- Robbie Washington (Palmetto) and Nathaniel Joseph (Edison) are committed. The focus is on two names: Taeshaun Lyons (Bay Area) and Wake Forest commit Micah Mays (Benjamin). Both are expected at the FSU game and I believe we take one. Brandon Innis (American Heritage) is a priority target and, if it heats up, it may be later in the process. Expect 1-2 portal additions here with a focus on impact players.

TE- Riley Williams (IMG), Reid Mikeska (Houston) and Jackson Carver (Minnesota) are all committed and expected at the FSU game. No movement imminent here. I was wondering why Carver didn’t have senior film, but apparently he’s been injured (nothing long-term).

OL- Francis Mauigoa (IMG), Connor Lew (Atlanta), Frankie Tinilau (Lasalle), Tommy Kinsler (Ocala) and Antonio Tripp (IMG) are committed. The remaining target is Samson Okunlola (Brockton, Mass). That will be a battle but Miami is in good shape and positioned to close.

DE- Jayden Wayne (IMG) is committed. The focus is on closing the deal with Rueben Bain (Central) and we feel good about that progress. Not a done deal or foregone conclusion. He will be at the FSU game. Miami is communicating with three high upside, project-type DEs: 6’6 Chamberlain Campbell (St. Petersburg Lakewood), 6’7 Collins Acheampong (Orange County, CA, Michigan commit) and 6’4 Bai Jobe (Oklahoma, Michigan St. commit). This is one position to watch in December- while Miami may not be trending for Damon Wilson (Venice), Sam MPemba (IMG) and Nyckolas Harbor (Washington DC), it would not be surprise me if one of those names heated up late.

DT- The name to keep an eye on is Joshua Horton (Atlanta). He is 6’5, 293 with a near 80-inch wingspan and a 4.0 GPA. I’d put him on commitment watch. Expect a portal addition here as well.

LB- Popo Aguirre (Fayetteville, GA), Malik Bryant (Orlando) and Bobby Washington (Palmetto) are committed. Miami is still hot after Stanquan Clark (Central) and he remains a high priority. He will be at the FSU game. Miami is continuing to recruit JUCO Justin Jefferson (Alabama commit).

CB- Robert Stafford (Melbourne, FL), Antonio Jackson (Dillard) and—it feels good to say this—Cormani McClain (Lakeland) are commits. One source inside the building on McClain- “He has the upside to be the first overall pick of the draft.” Miami is pushing to add another big corner- the candidates are Damari Brown (American Heritage), Ja’keem Jackson (Kissimmee, FL) and Sharif Denson (Jacksonville, FL). Brown will be on campus this weekend and is on commitment watch. I expect us to land one of the three.

S- Kaleb Spencer (Colonial Heights, VA) will start out safety. People are very excited about his size, closing speed and physicality. I’d watch one of the bigger corners in the class to potentially end up here.

Overall, things are moving and changing quickly. But the McClain commit should put Miami fans on notice of what this staff is capable of in the recruiting game.

Advertisement
Maybe I’m just drunk from Cormani still but there’s a lot of potential there, especially at DE

For once I’m actually happy that this board doesn’t know more about what we need than the staff does

We get a lot of sacks on defense with guys that aren’t great pass rushers. Would be pretty fun to watch if we can scoop a couple in recruiting or the portal

Advertisement
I feel like we need to land Samson and still hit the portal for another 2 bodies on the OL. As talented as Samson and Francis are you don't want to rely on Freshmen early and you want to have them competing for reps not just being handed reps.

Also no mention of Ricks?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
We need multiple rbs. Thad and Knighton are likely portal bound, Chaney can't stay healthy, and Citizen is coming off a major injury.
Exactly
The lack of a big time play maker is clear
We’re missing a guy that can’t consistently take one to the house
So it’s odd that we aren’t making more noise at rb
Rooster has no vision
Parrish is too slow
Chaney looks like he’s gonna break it but always gets caught
At least a Travis homer
He would have ate in this offense

Advertisement
Back