The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Advertisement
My read: We aren’t going to be big players in the portal under Mario. Hes going to live or die by high school recruiting and development. His takes are to raise the floor and depth, not raise the ceiling.
I think that we will be judicious with the portal, and go aggressive only when there is a huge need that cannot be immediately remedied or if we are close to a NC. CFB is quickly morphing into an NFL environment minus a salary cap and multi year contracts. There’s a MoneyBall approach that involves going heavier on HS recruits - they’ll cost less in their first 1-2 years than going heavy on the portal.

Advertisement
IMG_5616.gif

DMoney had the post ready to go asap because he knew what the general reaction was going to be.

Serious question since information is hard to find on this kid - what other schools were recruiting him? He posted no offers publicly, trying to find some articles or recruiting services that mention him..

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpeg
    IMG_1426.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 0
Rock and Roll McDonalds!
Such an underwhelming pickup! Speaking of McDonalds, things are more efficient since they eliminated the cashier/ order taker.

Bunch of sketch balls hanging out at the McDonalds here in AZ! Watch out for meth heads.

Advertisement
I think that we will be judicious with the portal, and go aggressive only when there is a huge need that cannot be immediately remedied or if we are close to a NC. CFB is quickly morphing into an NFL environment minus a salary cap and multi year contracts. There’s a MoneyBall approach that involves going heavier on HS recruits - they’ll cost less in their first 1-2 years than going heavy on the portal.
How about we not be the Oakland A's any longer.....

Alonzo Highsmith was the VP of Player Personnel of the Browns when they drafted Mayfield.

Should tell you who is making up the bull**** and probably needs go when this doesn’t work out

Edit.. I see it says personality.. at least they’re not trying to sell his ability as being Baker Mayfield.
Alonzo Know's what he's doing, stop with that, you know Alonzo isn't the problem

How about we not be the Oakland A's any longer.....
Maybe MoneyBall is the wrong word to use, because it means allocating very limited resources. Miami has resources.

But they are not infinite. Nor are resources for Texas or Alabama. Let’s say you have $30M you want to invest in 2024 in NIL. What is the best allocation for that money? On the high school players who are ranked .9100 to .9800? Or the transfer who is .9000 but you know from college film what you are getting? Miami and some schools seem to be allocating more of their resources towards recruited players, and then working to retain them. A Pittsburgh Steelers approach, so to speak.

FSU and Colorado lean in the opposite direction - their NIL is geared mostly towards the portal. In some ways this is an advantage. You have the player for one to two years so it’s less likely that they’ll demand an NIL raise and depart. But it creates roster churn and a lack of continuity. FSU in particular reminded me of the 1995 Miami Dolphins - a team of championed free agents that was ultimately doomed.

Advertisement
How is it a gamble? At the moment, we will have JB going spring ball with no competition…

I doubt MC told this guy he’s guaranteed to be the starter; however, I’m sure that conversation was different with Ward or Baby Tua.
It's a gamble because I think it's a very high-variance take, which combines with JB, an already high-variance player. Kind of the opposite of a Will Rogers type, where yeah his ceiling might not be enormous but you know he can get the job done at an above-average level.

I want to be clear that actually really like this kid, but the thing with shorter QB's and also with kids transferring up 2 levels is sometimes they're just not playable. Granted, he's achieved a lot and he might be electric, but there's a chance he shows up and just can't cut it at this level. So to me he's a ceiling raiser more than a floor raiser. And so is JB. Accuracy is the primary carrying trait for me, and while JB's physical gifts make him a higher-floor guy than Albany dude, I need to see JB show more as a passer before I can pencil him in as an average FBS QB.

So to my main point, if they don't bring in a clear starting-quality QB, this take is very much a gamble because unlike with someone like Will Rogers, you could realistically end up with neither of your top 2 guys able to be even a game manager-type. Of course none of this matters if Baby Tua or Ward or someone we're not talking about comes in to be QB1, at which point I love the backup battle and think both of the guys could be viable starters next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back