The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Advertisement
Speed concerns ???????? Then why did they take his commitment initially?

Last I checked we need safety help, play him there then
To play safety homie. He wasn’t going to be a CB here.

Here is a fact the coaching staff would never say publicly but is true anyway: not only do we not have a reliable starting QB on the roster, we don't even have a reliable *back up QB* on the roster. if any of Jacurri, Emory, Judd have to play multiple games next year in a back up role the season will be screwed. for various different reasons you'd have to be crazy to feel confident in any of those guys as your back up QB. in particular w/ Jacurri, we've seen each of the last two seasons that this team has to run an entirely different offense with him and making that shift on his behalf is not viable, at least not for this coaching staff which isn't exactly filled with offensive whiz kids.

all of which is to say, if part of this take is the acknowledgement that it gives the team legitimate depth in a spot where it currently has none than I think it makes a lot of sense. having a high floor back up QB around to make sure that next season isn't derailed by one injury would actually be prudent.

I guess I have a higher opinion on Brown than most. I think he can be at least as good as KJ Jefferson. Brown is actually slightly taller and a little bit faster. But like Jefferson, you would have need to run an offense that is suited for him, which would be similar to what Briles ran at Arkansas. Would have be an Air Raid based offense with easy reads (that's not a knock on his ability, an Air Raid system is legit in college football). Brown could at least be used for guaranteed first downs in short yardage situations with the "tush push" like Buffalo does with Allen. Unfortunately, Dawson has zero vision or creativity, so that's not going to happen as long as he's OC.

Advertisement
Ok I’m not against the kid but Baker Mayfield?? I need video evidence and vocal excerpts.
Reports coming out that Reese was seen grabbing his nuts and flicking off some random fans before boarding airport while leaving his visit at UM. That’s what sealed the deal with the Baker comparison. Still awaiting video footage.

Advertisement
Miami just landed a commitment from Albany QB transfer Reese Poffenbarger. This will raise eyebrows, so let me pass on what I know about the decision:

- Miami will continue to evaluate veteran QBs through the end of this cycle and, if necessary, after spring. Poffenbarger has two years of eligibility, and his addition will not preclude Miami from pursuing another proven arm.

- Poffenbarger led the FCS in passing yards (3,608 yards) and passing TDs (36) while being graded at 2nd in big-time throws by PFF.

- Miami was blown away by his visit this weekend and compared his personality to Baker Mayfield. They also have high grades on his arm strength and athleticism (check his dunking highlights here).

- He measured at 6.05 and 215 pounds on his visit.

- I expect Miami to be aggressive in the Portal over the next two weeks. Positions to watch (along with QB) are safety, WR and possibly RB. This includes players committed elsewhere or about to commit elsewhere. They also will pursue difference-makers in the trenches. The plan is to pay for quality, not quantity. Young players like Rob Stafford and Chris Johnson need snaps. We don’t want to be like FSU where we major in the Portal and minor in HS recruiting.

- With respect to CB Antoine Jackson (ECU/UCF), I'm told Miami passing had nothing to do with his prior decommitment. There were some speed concerns on film. Miami did not have high grades on CB Earl Little and WR Jalen Brown, who went to FSU. There was some interest in Marvin Jones, Jr. but they have others rated higher.
LANK

Huge fail by the staff at landing a starter at the most important position. Let’s give the kid a chance to compete but if we win less than 9 games next season and the QB position is a detriment it will be time to put Mario on the hot seat.

He obviously won’t get fired next season but at that point the clock should start since the beginning of his tenure would have been up and down at best.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back