The ATM (7/2)

View as article
1688321780144.gif

Advertisement
Had some follow-up discussions and wanted to relay some scoop. There was a lot of negativity around Miami yesterday, and it was real. But the sun came up and they are back on the grind:

- I continue to hear good things about Miami with Chaminade teammates WR JoJo Trader and DB Zaquan Patterson. Trader was the star of the camp and blew away Miami coaches with his athleticism, which exceeded what was on his film. He looked like he could have played this year in our WR room.

- New CB commit Romanas Frédérique (St. Thomas Aquinas) actually spent some time playing with the Miami Gardens Ravens crew, so he is very familiar to our commits and targets. He measured 5’11 with a 6’4 wing in camp and ran 4.48. He also showed fluidity and ball skills, which is an area we’ve lacked at corner. He has played a ton of WR and it shows.

- There is some confidence with OL Deric Plazz (Jacksonville) and Miami. Need to close there. Miami also feels it is in a good place with OL Isendre Ahfua (Seattle). They know Utah is a real threat with its Poly connections, but Miami has its own Poly connection and long-standing relationships.

- The big name battle I’m watching closest right now is DE Marquise Lightfoot (Chicago). Miami has worked that one hard and is hoping to turn around its momentum.

- Another name that impressed in camp- RB Chris Wheatley-Humphrey (South Broward). I’m told he looked electric coming out of the backfield and looked Miami-caliber at corner, although he is being recruited as an offensive player. They feel he is one of the more underrated players in the class.

- Miami is still very much after WR Lawayne McCoy (Central) and he remains a flip candidate.

- As far as names on campus, I’m getting a lot of great feedback on transfer RB Ajay Allen. “Pro back.” I heard he very much has a professional mindset- doesn’t party, watches film and takes care of his body.
Don’t you mean the piggy bank after yesterdays fart in the room? #damagecontrol

mike lookinland piggy bank GIF by HULU
blood drive spinning GIF by SYFY

Advertisement
Mario is being awakened to some stark realities:

1. This ain’t Oregon. Miami fans are not patient. You have to win. Now.
2. The bed ****ting of the 2022 season left some bad stains that will plague him until he changes the narrative on the field. He’s GOT to win in 2023.
3. Recruiting won’t be easy. We sniffed a Top 5 class last year and the blue bloods don’t like that. They won’t make it easy for us.
4. Re-read #’s 1-3 above

Thanks for cranking this out.

Lightfoot would do more than stop the bleeding. We’d pull another big-timer who is ready to leave their home state and play for us.

I think I’ve heard this now about Ajay Allen a couple of times. I’m excited for him. His HS tape is 🔥.

This. If you’ve been paying attention, there’s nary a peep and instead, Oregon is gaining traction. That’s a bad sign given his teammate - baker - is also leaning to Oregon.

And to think, this staff supposedly felt best about Scott and breeland going into latter half of June.
It was mentioned before they all had the same handler that was pushing them to Oregon.We need to lockup Dimitri Nicholas from Central before it's too late and stop the mental *********ion with the lite DTs all the bag schools are chasing.

Advertisement
It was David Lake. I was like dang when I heard that as well. Lake usually isn’t that expressive about HS players.
That was my thought as well, plus the other host didnt provide any pushback or anything, just like yea but we got other guys so its all good.. Usually the other host will play devils advocate just to provide balance but didnt even do that lol.. interesting..

Advertisement
Had some follow-up discussions and wanted to relay some scoop. There was a lot of negativity around Miami yesterday, and it was real. But the sun came up and they are back on the grind:

- I continue to hear good things about Miami with Chaminade teammates WR JoJo Trader and DB Zaquan Patterson. Trader was the star of the camp and blew away Miami coaches with his athleticism, which exceeded what was on his film. He looked like he could have played this year in our WR room.

- New CB commit Romanas Frédérique (St. Thomas Aquinas) actually spent some time playing with the Miami Gardens Ravens crew, so he is very familiar to our commits and targets. He measured 5’11 with a 6’4 wing in camp and ran 4.48. He also showed fluidity and ball skills, which is an area we’ve lacked at corner. He has played a ton of WR and it shows.

- There is some confidence with OL Deric Plazz (Jacksonville) and Miami. Need to close there. Miami also feels it is in a good place with OL Isendre Ahfua (Seattle). They know Utah is a real threat with its Poly connections, but Miami has its own Poly connection and long-standing relationships.

- The big name battle I’m watching closest right now is DE Marquise Lightfoot (Chicago). Miami has worked that one hard and is hoping to turn around its momentum.

- Another name that impressed in camp- RB Chris Wheatley-Humphrey (South Broward). I’m told he looked electric coming out of the backfield and looked Miami-caliber at corner, although he is being recruited as an offensive player. They feel he is one of the more underrated players in the class.

- Miami is still very much after WR Lawayne McCoy (Central) and he remains a flip candidate.

- As far as names on campus, I’m getting a lot of great feedback on transfer RB Ajay Allen. “Pro back.” I heard he very much has a professional mindset- doesn’t party, watches film and takes care of his body.
Why the recent negativity on Justin Scott?

It was mentioned before they all had the same handler that was pushing them to Oregon.We need to lockup Dimitri Nicholas from Central before it's too late and stop the mental *********ion with the lite DTs all the bag schools are chasing.

From Scott, Stewart, Franklin, breeland to Nicholas, Russell, maybe Jackson and Pickett. Yikes.

Tbh I was surprised we were rumored with all those guys in the first place after the season we had + the staff turnover .

When I read things like “Miami likes where they are” really doesn’t mean much . These kids are good at lying and telling coaches want they want to hear . Just something you learn over the years

Advertisement
The Pharmacy 7/2:

- Jojo and Patterson are talented. We know this. They’re also not anywhere near committing.
- OJ has a good frame. We know this. Also, he knows some other kids on the team. Rare to see this. Usually everyone meets for the first time on day 1 of pads.
- There is (more than zero) confidence with our contingency OL after getting beat out by Pitt; big name poly kid is still talking to our poly contacts. This not not news.
- Lightfoot is committing to OSU after getting a dose of reality.
- Hellcat is not a take at RB. They’re already starting the propaganda campaign to move him.
- We need to hope we don’t get our **** physically kicked in by FSU again if we want to flip… a Miami Central kid…
- Very good timing to recycle a previous talking point on a Nebraska transfer. I really hope Barney reads the board.

Advertisement
Back