The 2015 Arkansas Offense

Advertisement
This is what we are hoping for. That is Dan Enos's first year at Arkansas. They were the 4th best offense in the country according to Football Outsiders. Brandon Allen went from 71st in passer rating to 6th.

That was also the last year they had some legit NFL talent. That team had two NFL running backs in Jonathan Williams (5th) and Alex Collins (5th). They also had two NFL TEs in Hunter Henry (2nd) and Jeremy Sprinkle (5th) and featured them heavily. None of their receivers were very good.

The talent fell off a cliff after 2015, and the offense was decent but not great after that (39th and 43rd per FO). The year after Enos left, they fell apart and dropped over fifty spots to 97th in the country under former Clemson OC Chad Morris.

It's a surprising hire. Alabama and Georgia wanted this guy and his reputation among SEC coaches is strong. But he is a pro style guy. My hope is that he takes our offensive talent (which is better than 2015 Arkansas) and gets the same elite results.

Here he is against Manny Diaz:

He doesn't fit the attacking, modern offense Diaz talked about.

Here are his offenses when he was the head man at CMichigan:

2009: 23rd

2010: 49th
2011: 57th
2012: 64th
2013: 110th
2014: 70th

In other words, trash. No confidence in this hire but will wait until spring.

Wow respect to @DMoney because I forgot how explosive that offense was. In all of the garbage offensive years with Arkansas he was the only one to make it work and they had wrs, rbs and tes all balling with an ok at best qb so yeah im all for Enos now

Advertisement
So you want the scheme run by a bunch of guys who never make the playoffs. You don't want schemes run by Alabama and Georgia.

I want schemes that lend themselves to scoring because the principles of the scheme are so difficult for the defense to defend.
I don't want a scheme that requires elite talent to work because the principles of the scheme are so easy to defend and actually hurt the offense's production.

We went to two national championships in the early 2000s. But I don't want that scheme run here because the scheme sucks. It was actually a detriment to our offensive success that had to be overcome.
I don't want anything that Kirby Smart wants to do on offense. What Smart wants to do is actually a detriment to offensive success that must be overcome through a large talent advantage.

We’re pinning our entire hopes on his one successful season orchestrating an offense.

When he was loaded with NFL talent. That's always the best criteria when judging how good an offensive philosophy is: look at what it can do with enough NFL players across the board!!!

Advertisement
I want schemes that lend themselves to scoring because the principles of the scheme are so difficult for the defense to defend.
I don't want a scheme that requires elite talent to work because the principles of the scheme are so easy to defend and actually hurt the offense's production.

We went to two national championships in the early 2000s. But I don't want that scheme run here because the scheme sucks. It was actually a detriment to our offensive success that had to be overcome.
I don't want anything that Kirby Smart wants to do on offense. What Smart wants to do is actually a detriment to offensive success that must be overcome through a large talent advantage.

So your answer to my previous question is "yes". You want what Baylor and Texas Tech are doing, not what Alabama and Georgia are doing.

So your answer to my previous question is "yes". You want what Baylor and Texas Tech are doing, not what Alabama and Georgia are doing.

Baylor today or Baylor under Art Briles? If it's Baylor under Briles, god yes. Give me that offensive scheme over anything Kirby Smart wants to run.

It's amazing we actually have people arguing that they would prefer Chaney's offensive scheme to Art Briles' offensive. But that's what you have to do to defend this hire.

Advertisement
Baylor today or Baylor under Art Briles? If it's Baylor under Briles, god yes. Give me that offensive scheme over anything Kirby Smart wants to run.

Even though it absolutely gets shut down by quality defenses.

Thank you for going on record and saying that you want nothing to do with whatever two national title contenders were doing.

Absolutely. We will never have what those two programs have up front. It’s much more realistic to go for a Baylor on steroids approach at Miami. Or an OU model for that matter, who did more than fine against a Bama team many were comparing to 2001 Miami. Big 12 offenses do great against SEC defenses, despite usually having a significant talent disadvantage. That’s what spread tempo offenses are designed to do.

Pair that with a solid defense and you’re cooking - and not just having success, but having EXCITING football teams that kids want to come play for. Productive and fun is one **** of a combination for winning and for fans and recruits.

Advertisement
Absolutely. We will never have what those two programs have up front. It’s much more realistic to go for a Baylor on steroids approach at Miami. Or an OU model for that matter, who did more than fine against a Bama team many were comparing to 2001 Miami. Big 12 offenses do great against SEC defenses, despite usually having a significant talent disadvantage. That’s what spread tempo offenses are designed to do.

So after hearing for a year and a half that ____________ would walk in and be in the playoffs with our talent, now we all of a sudden don't have elite talent.

CIS gonna CIS.

So after hearing for a year and a half that ____________ would walk in and be in the playoffs with our talent, now we all of a sudden don't have elite talent.

CIS gonna CIS.

Idk who you’re referencing but it ain’t me. We have the same deficiencies that Miami teams usually have. We don’t have talented bigs or good quarterback play. This guy might help with the latter but the former is a pipe dream at UM. Makes no sense to try and be something we aren’t.

Advertisement
Back