That Tennessee offense!

Advertisement
Advertisement
I grew up in Tampa, so a Bucs fan from expansion in 1976. I understand suffering…

Holy chit! Lol. Bro, growing up watching The Bears in the old NFC North w/ the Sucs…man, the easiest two wins on the schedule for yrs. Ppl forget just how bad The Bucs were b/c they r a well ran franchise now.

Hooker was at VT two years ago. He actually played well, starting 15 of 25 games, completing 197 of 312 passes for 2,894 yards, 22 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Also ran for 15 TDs. For a trash VT program.

He made a great business decision by transferring to Tennessee.

Huepel has definitely coached him up, surrounded him with a solid supporting cast, and a great scheme.

But let’s not act as if Hooker was some unknown cast off.

He was an average QB in the acc. If I recall correctly, he had one of the weirdest trends I'd ever seen - in games where Hooker threw for over 200 yards, it was basically a guaranteed loss for VT. Never seen anything like it.

He wasn't a particularly good passer at VT. Basically was a Paul Johnson wet dream. He ran a lot and occasionally threw the ball, and since teams focused on his running abilities, he'd get a lot of easy, high percentage throws. If he was forced to drop back and pass because of down and distance, he was a liability (which may explain the correlation between passing yards and losses). By comparison, Deriq King, who was a mobile QB as well, had 329 pass attempts in a shortened season, which is more pass attempts in one season than Hooker attempted over a two year span.

They took his & Hal Mumme’s elite revolutionary passing concepts & combined with the Spread rushing attack.

And now in modern day Football it’s the most difficult Offense to defend against & literally levels the playing field, even when you’re up against defensive talent that far outweighs you & is better overall athletically.

This is exactly how I feel. You just aren’t seeing real elite programs who are running what Miami is running on offense.

It’s not getting better until they scheme better. Even if they recruit at an elite level it’ll only raise the record so far.

He was an average QB in the acc. If I recall correctly, he had one of the weirdest trends I'd ever seen - in games where Hooker threw for over 200 yards, it was basically a guaranteed loss for VT. Never seen anything like it.

He wasn't a particularly good passer at VT. Basically was a Paul Johnson wet dream. He ran a lot and occasionally threw the ball, and since teams focused on his running abilities, he'd get a lot of easy, high percentage throws. If he was forced to drop back and pass because of down and distance, he was a liability (which may explain the correlation between passing yards and losses). By comparison, Deriq King, who was a mobile QB as well, had 329 pass attempts in a shortened season, which is more pass attempts in one season than Hooker attempted over a two year span.
He was a 4* recruit, Top 12 ranked dual threat QB, and a freshman-sophomore during his two-year sentence at VaTech. The Hokies were bad, but not as bad an they are now. If he was a liability try taking a look at the poor coaching and supporting cast the young QB had.

Huepel may have recruited him, or at least liked what he saw on tape. No? Otherwise he wouldn’t be there.

Hooker has a lot of talent, and Hupel has developed and maximized it.

Advertisement
This is exactly how I feel. You just aren’t seeing real elite programs who are running what Miami is running on offense.

It’s not getting better until they scheme better. Even if they recruit at an elite level it’ll only raise the record so far.

Sadly I don't think Mario is going to change at this point in his coaching career. He's married to his garbage scheme the same way Golden was to the 3-4, Richt was to the RichtPO, and Diaz was to his "havoc" style undisciplined defense. A lot of us saw this coming, but we repeated the prayer we said for all the previous coaches, "He will adapt to whatever scheme is most effective because this is his dream job."

Ironically, maybe the most adaptive coach was Diaz. As a defensive coach he was most comfortable with a ball control offense, yet he had the guts to scrap the pro style offense after one season for a spread O. People want to take credit away from him and say that was no big deal, but I think that change WAS a big deal.

Yes, there is no real explanation for why Duke is more competitive than us. I will say that we have no team speed. Perhaps our coaches are "Big Names" only.
Speed has been a huge concern for a lot of years. We haven’t had the team speed that we used to have for many years.

When an MTSU receiver is faster than anyone on our team, you know that we have a serious lack of speed.

Also, our coaches so far are cheeks.

Sadly I don't think Mario is going to change at this point in his coaching career. He's married to his garbage scheme the same way Golden was to the 3-4, Richt was to the RichtPO, and Diaz was to his "havoc" style undisciplined defense. A lot of us saw this coming, but we repeated the prayer we said for all the previous coaches, "He will adapt to whatever scheme is most effective because this is his dream job."

Ironically, maybe the most adaptive coach was Diaz. As a defensive coach he was most comfortable with a ball control offense, yet he had the guts to scrap the pro style offense after one season for a spread O. People want to take credit away from him and say that was no big deal, but I think that change WAS a big deal.
Too bad Diaz couldn‘t apply his adaptability to defense. His alleged specialty.

Just ask Penn State fans.

Advertisement
I’ve been stumping for Heupel since 2018...

That’s why anytime people mention Leach I always say his disciples are significantly better than him.

They took his & Hal Mumme’s elite revolutionary passing concepts & combined with the Spread rushing attack.

And now in modern day Football it’s the most difficult Offense to defend against & literally levels the playing field, even when you’re up against defensive talent that far outweighs you & is better overall athletically.

I know I’m a broken record, but this is where my frustration has come from with this program for such a long **** time & why I (used to lol) have such impassioned debates with people on here who for whatever reason were against us becoming a more high powered Offensive centric team & thought that we needed to transform into “tUfF & FiZiCuLL!” Lol.

A team like Tenn couldn’t have beat Bama any other way; when you’re overmatched against a team that has a significant talent advantage over you, your best bet is to make it a shoot out & the only way you can hang in a shoot out is if you’re equipped to do it, which means you have to throw the Football a lot... I know, I know that sacrilegious, but in today’s game, you can’t win big games like this without a potent offense & unless you have a roster like UGA’s or an OL & Defense like Michigan’s, you’re not gonna pound the rock to victory against really good teams like Bama.

Yes it’s about “Jimmy’s & Joe’s!”, but whether people realize it or not X’s & O’s are just as/if not more important. Having a good Offense is the most key cog in today’s era to be a winning program, that doesn’t mean you’ll win a Natty just because of your Offense (I’m not saying that), but if you want to be a 10+ win team & a perennial contender you’re gonna have a really rough go of it if you don’t have an Offense.

#SchemeMatters
@Liberty City El …I said on another thread a couple of weeks ago that if Mario really wants to win and bring the U back, he should hire you as a consultant that could present an in-depth and detailed database of OC’s that are innovative and highly effective at what they do.

With your knowledge and photographic memory, Mario would be an idiot not to hire you. He needs to swallow his pride and seek help from others that have different talents than him. He’s trying to wear too many hats, and he needs to learn to just be a CEO, and great recruiter, which are his strengths.

…and no, I’m not crazy. I truly believe what I’m posting here. Somebody needs to get Mario out of his own way.

Too bad Diaz couldn‘t apply his adaptability to defense. His alleged specialty.

Just ask Penn State fans.

Like I said, coaches get married to the system that got them to the HC ranks. Since Diaz was a defensive coach, I don't think changing the offensive scheme was as much an issue for him. He was content with giving Lashlee total autonomy.

The problem is that Cristobal is an offensive minded coach. He's not going to change his philosophy on that side of the ball. On defense I'm sure he has a scheme preference but I don't think he'd dictate to Steele what kind scheme he has to run.

This also goes to the constant refrain that Saban was willing to adapt his offense and go to a spread. Saban is a defensive minded coach. He's far more flexible on what happens to that side of the ball. If his teams could be more successful in the spread, he'd bring in a spread OC. IMO the chances that Mario as an offensive minded coach will go to a completely different scheme are slim and the only chance it happens is if/when he's on the hot seat and desperate.

Last edited:
For somebody that knows sfla and has even recruited sfla in the modern era you’d think mario would bring an offense that could maximizes the talent here. **** he was there when saban made the shift with lane so he saw first hand one of his mentors adapt so why the **** would he be so stubborn with this style. I really want to know its some interesting ****t that should be investigated lol

Advertisement
To be honest, there was a significant portion late where Tennessee was actually the more physical team as well. I know that's not the point you're trying to make, but that TD drive to tie the game at 49 - they really relied on their rushing attack and bullied Bama up front. If Mario is smart, he'd see this game and how Tennessee perfectly balances a lethal, up-tempo approach with a tough running game that can get yards or carry a drive when you need it.

Amazing offense...so versatile, potent, insanely difficult to account for everyone. I mean they didn't even have Cedric Tillman lol...best college game I've seen in a few years.
Mario isn't smart enough... that's the problem

Reason why Tennessee is so good on offense is because someone can take the top off the defense and smoke defensive backs with speed.

We dont have anyone with Hyatt speed. We are on cruise control. And that limits the schematic passing game. We could scheme these things up for us, but we couldn't execute it.

I've said it multiple times, speed and athletic ability kill it at the wide receiver position. From that perspective, we are not very good. The fact that we have a Juco College transfer come in and be the leading receiver next to the Clemson reject with drop and injury problems tells me all I need to know about the so-called talent we have on the outside.

When was the last time we really had someone stretching the field vertically the way Hyatt did yesterday? Or the last time we looked at a receiver and went "****, he is blazing fast"?

Advertisement
Back